WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Bucky the deer

Default Bucky the deer

I was hiking Gooch Gap to Woody Gap in GA this weekend and suddenly a buck started following us. He even got in between me and a group of scouts, completely unafraid. After about 2mi some hikers came SOBO and were aware of his back story. Apparently he was a rescue and release and had a collar on at one time. Hopefully he lives a long life along the trail. I shot some video that I'll link to later. It's up on FB now if you want to look for "Joe Polk."

Here's a pic:

Bucky1.jpg

Hey Joe, that was me and my wife that filled you in on Bucky.

Bucky was apparently released in this area back in mid April. He did not have a collar, but you could tell where he had been collared as his coat showed the mark for several weeks. He has made Grassy Gap his home and often hangs around our house for hours at a time. He often walks the AT between Gooch Gap and Ramrock Mtn with us or follows other hikers.

I make a plea to all hikers to not feed him. His only hope for survival through hunting season is if he stays close by as between the AT and our private property no hunters hunt the immediate area.

I do know that a couple of hikers did feed him and I watched Bucky follow them right across SR60 at Woody Gap towards Big Ceder. I was glad he returned the next day as if he goes across SR60 he has no chance come mid October as it is a huge hunting area.

Bucky has really messed with my dog's head. The first time Toby saw Bucky on the driveway she went running at him and he just stood still. Poor Toby didn't know what to do. Since then they often hang out together while Toby tries to get Bucky to play with her. I was glad to see the other day on the trail Bucky did finally have enough of her messing with him and ran away. The first time I had ever seen Bucky run,

People that do these rescues should know not to allow the animal to become habituated. If it does become habituated, probably best not to release the animal back into the wild.

Here's a link to the (long) video I just put up. Bucky comes along about the 24min mark.

https://youtu.be/siM1vYlIrEA

I would feel better if he still had his collar on. At least hunters would know and maybe pass on him.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Pedaling Fool View Post
    People that do these rescues should know not to allow the animal to become habituated. If it does become habituated, probably best not to release the animal back into the wild.
    There is a deer farm real close to AFSP. Surprised he didn't end up there.

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    There is a deer farm real close to AFSP. Surprised he didn't end up there.
    Do you have a name or any contact information? That is an option I may pursue.

But what amazes me about Bucky is that he is thriving. He has grown quite a bit, put on a lot of weight, and his visits to our house are less and less frequent. And like I said in my earlier post he will now run from my dog, and he is quite fast. That gives me some hope as I figured the coyotes would get him before hunting season came around.

Hopefully Ga has less necks that walk the trail during hunting season with rifles...on several occasions I've come across them between winding stair gap and tellico gap in nc. Squirrel, deer and bear hunting.....I wear ORANGE during fall for good reason!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Hopefully Ga has less necks that walk the trail during hunting season with rifles...on several occasions I've come across them between winding stair gap and tellico gap in nc. Squirrel, deer and bear hunting.....I wear ORANGE during fall for good reason!

I did a long day hike north out of Neels Gap starting about 5am in the winter. cruising down the trail headlamp blazing. turned a corner and there were two hunters with rifles. it startled me so much that I just said " Glad I didn't wear my antler hat." I was wide awake after that.

Here is the website for the deer farm.

http://www.amicaloladeerpark.com

Quote Originally Posted by FatMan View Post
    Do you have a name or any contact information? That is an option I may pursue.

But what amazes me about Bucky is that he is thriving. He has grown quite a bit, put on a lot of weight, and his visits to our house are less and less frequent. And like I said in my earlier post he will now run from my dog, and he is quite fast. That gives me some hope as I figured the coyotes would get him before hunting season came around.
    Bucky still alive?

Have you been on the Skyline Drive in Shenandoah National Park. Happens all the time345139282.jpg

"You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace;the mountains and hills will burst into song before you, and all the trees of the field will clap their hands."
    Isaiah 55:12

Quote Originally Posted by Damn Yankee View Post
    Have you been on the Skyline Drive in Shenandoah National Park. Happens all the time345139282.jpg
    I'm hoping to do SNP this spring...

++ New Posts ++