WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Default Anish attempting the Unsupported AT Record

Can't believe this hasn't been posted yet. I followed Anish on Facebook as she broke the Unsupported PCT record and she is very mentally tough. She has thru hiked the AT before so she knows what she's getting herself into. If the Unsupported record is still 58+ days I think it's going down.

See the last post in the link below.

http://fastestknowntime.proboards.com/thread/6?page=3
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

NOBO or SOBO?

SOBO I believe. Her facebook post has a picture of the Katahdin sign, although maybe that was posted as her end goal.

Images

Wow, Anish is a serious challenger.
    I'd be interesting to see her get the AT record while losing the PCT record to Joey Camps.

Images

She will beat Liz (Snorkle) Thomas female self supported AT record for sure...80 days 13 hrs.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

I've liked her FB page but unfortunately looks like she won't be posting real time status so we can't enjoy following her journey as closely as Jurek's. But I totally understand her reasons for delaying status updates.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by fredmugs View Post
    Can't believe this hasn't been posted yet. I followed Anish on Facebook as she broke the Unsupported PCT record and she is very mentally tough. She has thru hiked the AT before so she knows what she's getting herself into. If the Unsupported record is still 58+ days I think it's going down.

See the last post in the link below.

http://fastestknowntime.proboards.com/thread/6?page=3
    Thanks for that, some of her recent FB posts were so vague that I didn't realize that she was alluding to a FKT attempt on the A.T.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Images

She has been planning this for a year. there was some talk of this at ALDHA Wets which was interested since Snorkle was also there.

As for her goal. She will be going for the overall unsupported record. I suspect she would be greatly disappointed with only besting Snorkles woman's record. She has the experience, both on the AT as well as ultras and record hikes. I can only think of a few hikers that I would give better odds than Anish.

She can definitely throw down the miles. She's a vegan, too, right? Good sponsors, good attitude, good person -- I wish her the best.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    Thanks for that, some of her recent FB posts were so vague that I didn't realize that she was alluding to a FKT attempt on the A.T.
    There is probably a reason for that. I like this quote from her announcement:

Per the main page suggestions I will provide a way for the public to follow along with my progress at facebook.com/AnishHikes. Please understand that the posts made there are in NO WAY an invitation for anyone to attempt to help me, find me, join me, or otherwise take away from the nature of a thru-hiker's journey. They are intended to document only, as suggested by this site. I will carry a SPOT beacon, although for safety, its logs will not be publicly available in real time.
    Remote for detachment, narrow for chosen company, winding for leisure, lonely for contemplation, the Trail beckons not merely north and south, but upward to the body, mind, and soul of man.

GAME 06

Ahhh! Very cool.

GAME 06

Assuming she started today as her Facebook page would seem to indicate.

The ten day forecast for Monson shows pm showers the 5th day. So she should have clear sailing for the first 5 days or so (pretty nice). Given her typical speed she is likely to be near Caratunk or Stratton by then. For the next 5 days after that the forecast calls for some showers everyday at a max of a 50% probability in the areas as she near the NH border. Very decent weather to start out.

Very cool. Matt's record is strong and I think his planning for stops, resupply, etc was very, very good. I don't know if her planning will be as efficient, but she does have the hiking prowess to make a serious run at it. I wish her a fast, healthy, and happy hike.

It would be interesting to see Matt take a run at her PCT record and they just trade out. lol

Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    I've liked her FB page but unfortunately looks like she won't be posting real time status so we can't enjoy following her journey as closely as Jurek's. But I totally understand her reasons for delaying status updates.
    Just as well. I can't afford to lose another month of my life following every minute!

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    She can definitely throw down the miles. She's a vegan, too, right? Good sponsors, good attitude, good person -- I wish her the best.
    Me too. But we may have to have vegan and carnivore subcategories if this keeps up.

Liz's female unsupported record is in serious jeopardy. No doubt in my mind, Snorkel could absolutely shorten her 8o day record. I seriously doubt Liz pushed herself to her physical ad mental max with that 80 day record.

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    Smart move! After the real time(or close to it) Jurek FKT I can better appreciate more so than ever how well JPD and her advisors and team organized her FKT. And now Anish has taken the hint. Smart move on her part. I don't think the real time festival like atmosphere would best suit her anyway. I like it when these ladies quietly just go out and do it getting it done aptly demonstrating how unisex these "events" are.

[QUOTE=Odd Man Out;1994016...we may have to have vegan and carnivore subcategories if this keeps up.[/QUOTE]

SHHH! Don't give Bakwin any more ideas. There's enough of this already.

Wow, I figured this may very well become a fad but I didn't expect it to start up this quick. I suppose we just can't help ourselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Smart move! After the real time(or close to it) Jurek FKT I can better appreciate more so than ever how well JPD and her advisors and team organized her FKT. And now Anish has taken the hint. Smart move on her part. I don't think the real time festival like atmosphere would best suit her anyway. I like it when these ladies quietly just go out and do it getting it done aptly demonstrating how unisex these "events" are.
    It seems especially wise for a self-supported hike. If crowds came out to help Scott, there was no risk of breaking the "rules". But for a self-supported hike, staying stealthy not only helps with security and peace of mind, it helps prevent rule controversies.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    I was able to find a FB page which appears to be her personal page. Does she have a public or fan page?
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    It seems especially wise for a self-supported hike. If crowds came out to help Scott, there was no risk of breaking the "rules". But for a self-supported hike, staying stealthy not only helps with security and peace of mind, it helps prevent rule controversies.
    Correct.
    To borrow from Mags' "Champaign Gate", some may recall the much less volatile "Pizza Gate". Anish suffered some blow back on her PCT hike because of her open, intense, personal, and inspirational Facebook posts that led to supporters coming out specifically to give her Trail Magic. In particular a fan coming to the trail with pizza intended for her. While no serious lines were crossed it's a small controversy easily avoided.

Unsupported hikes do typically allow the normal trail magic any hiker might encounter, but for the few bonus calories don't cover the calories spent defending oneself after the fact. I think eventually you'll see hikers simply forgo any assistance in an effort to retain the purity of the hike. Anish takes a step towards that in her slight modifications and wording of her announcement-

"As always, I will respect the wilderness landscape, the lives that dwell therein, other trail users, and the generations of users that will follow by practicing Leave No Trace Ethics.
    Per the main page suggestions I will provide a way for the public to follow along with my progress at facebook.com/AnishHikes. Please understand that the posts made there are in NO WAY an invitation for anyone to attempt to help me, find me, join me, or otherwise take away from the nature of a thru-hiker's journey. They are intended to document only, as suggested by this site. I will carry a SPOT beacon, although for safety, its logs will not be publicly available in real time."

Live tracking isn't totally new, but not required. It certainly promotes a more "race" mentality that doesn't quite jive with the backpacking side of FKTs. I think you will see the self-supported and unsupported style of hikes drift back to more traditional backpacking trips more often than not. Where brief updates and the eventual sharing of info are the only news. Jen's trip was a much more typical FKT on the big trails than Scott's, she blurred the line and redefined supported trips. Matt Kirk posted delayed updates via a short videos. The purpose is to document, not provide spectacle. To share a deeply personal experience with others. The eventual story of the journey is much more rewarding than the brief blip of media buzz, and I think Jen, Matt, Williamson, Anish, Pepper, or any other "backpacker" would tell you that it is the deep personal connection to the trail that is the primary factor in the success of their attempts.

The burden of updating and documenting takes away from that experience and jeopardizes the attempt itself. Per the FKT traditions however, a failure to announce your attempt makes it a "stealth" attempt... while not the end of the world it's considered "poor sportsmanship" and makes your claim a bit harder to prove. So the line of publicity and privacy is hard to dance. I for one though deeply appreciate those with the courage to share these journeys. Not everyone does so. Scott Williamson in particular has told very little of his story and remains very private on his very impressive efforts.

A long hike rips away our layers of disconnection. As the hours pass and the miles peel away we go deeper and deeper to the center of ourselves. We break down until there is little left but a path through to the center. Some find this by sitting quietly by stream or mountain view. Some only find the quiet in the pounding of their heart and the rushing of the wind. The clock there simply to help keep pace with the true goal. Either way, at some point the noise stops, we fade away and we enter the trail completely. Finding that our very tiny center is simply the beginning of everything that matters.

That's a backpacker's FKT to me. The trail isn't the backdrop for human achievement.
    It's a story of the human who willingly becomes the backdrop for the achievement of nature.

So best of luck to Anish- push hard until you become the ghost and melt into the trail.
    Walk in peace.

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++