Hi Folks - First time poster, long time reader. My husband and I are planning a 4-day hike through Shenandoah for the end of September and since we're kind of new to backpacking we're aiming to go slow-ish and stay at hotels each night along the way to keep the weight down on our packs. We've figured most of what we'll be carrying is clothes, water, snacks, and toiletry things, but we keep adding weight with emergency items like a hammock tent with rain cover and rain gear. These emergency items take up a lot of space and weight, but I'm nervous not taking them, so I thought I'd ask some of you experienced backpackers what you think. I know if an emergency comes up and we can't make it to our next hotel we'll need to camp, but since we're pretty much hiking along Skyline drive, do you think its necessary to carry camping gear? Or is it easy enough to climb off trail and find civilization? We're starting at Skyland Resort and heading south to Swift Run Gap (stopping at Big Meadows and Lewis Mtn Cabins along the way) and then shuttling back up to Skyland. From reading posts on the forum about this area I'm fairly confident in our ability to manage the distance and terrain, but I want to be prepared if something unexpected comes up... but also I don't want to carry a 50 pound pack for what is essentially a day hike. Thanks for any help!