WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Quote Originally Posted by HansKris View Post
    Hello everyone. I am planning to attempt a thru-hike in 2016 in 100 days which would end on my 50th Birthday November 7th in Georgia. That means I would be leaving Maine on July 31st, a little different than most as it is a very late start. Any words of advice or encouragement would be greatly appreciated. Can this be done, is 50 too old? Has anyone out there done a south bound in 100 days? I used to be a serious hiker and rock scrambler up until my 30's, but then my Corporate life took over and I forgot what made me happy. This coming year I am walking away from all that and walking back into the woods. Doing the AT in 100 days is my pilgrimage and my way to detoxify my soul. I plan on doing a 6 month training program to get back in shape mentally and physically .
    Very inspirational for someone fast approaching 50 with the same goal (but NOBO). I wish you well, please keep us posted. If all has gone as planned you will be hiking your hike as I type. Best wishes to you!!!

Journal Entries

Let me chime in as I've found that much of the advice I got online before I hiked was garbage because the people giving that advice hadn't actually thru hiked and was just spouting second and third hand info.

I'm almost 1,000 miles in now, have met every type of hiker. The only people I've met that can consistently do the big mile days are the ultralight people. And they've all been in their 20s.

Not saying you can't, but realistically if you've been in a sedentary office job for 20 years you'd be putting yourself at great risk of injury attempting 100 days thru hike.

So I'd say if you want to try it then really work on getting in shape NOW and keep your full pack weight under 20lbs.

Also big miles everyday with few zeroes takes a mental toll on people. There was a young couple going 25-30/day through VA who threw in the towel at Harper's because they just burned themselves out.

So my question to you: do you want to hike for an ego achievement or hike to enjoy your trip? If you want to be able to brag about doing it in 100 days before you're 50 then do that but that pace will strip a lot of the fun out of it. Sorry to be a Debbie downer in this post but it's very clear to me now having gone almost halfway that the people who want to do big miles for the ego boost ALL burn themselves out.

Some people genuinely enjoy hiking 12 hours a day, everyday, but those people are a very special breed. If you want to hit 100 days you'll most likely have to be going 10-12 hours a day, everyday, with very few Nero's and This means you can't stop. stopand enjoy the views, you won't be time for side trails. You will have o skip towns d hostels. You won't make many strong bonds with other hikers. Unless you've done long distance hiking before and know you can maintain this pace don't try it on your first thru. It's a recipe for injury and burnout.
    Last edited by SGTJones; 08-02-2016 at 10:14.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by meat803 View Post
    What year did you successfully thru hike the AT? It isnt about my limitations, it is about the facts of the situation. Most people that have posted on this thread have not done an AT thru. A single day of 20 or even 30+ isnt a big deal. 20+ a day is easy on the PCT from the thru hikers I have spoken to. When I set out on my thru hike, I had done numerous 25+ mile hikes. I figured that once I got my trail legs I would be averaging 20+ a day easy. I was sorely mistaken. I met less than a handful of hikers that averaged 20+ for the entire thru. Telling some guy fresh off the shelf that he is capable of doing that is foolish, possible even dangerous.

Tell this guy the real facts of the situation so that he doesn't set himself up for failure or worse hurt himself. All the cheerleaders telling this guy he can do something he has less than a 1% chance of, no thanks. I would rather advise him to plan on something reasonably achievable. Just completing the train in any amount of time is a 1 in 5 shot.

So you want to thru hike the AT? Great. Your best options to be successful are to not be constrained by time and have 2X the funds you think you will need. Once time and money are removed, your odds improve greatly.

The things that will knock you off trail are most likely-
    -Not being able to mentally endure it
    It takes a special person to put up with the miles and conditions day after day, month after month.

-Not being able to physically endure it
    There is a different kind of pain and tired that you don't understand until you get 1000 miles deep.

-Injury
    Listen to your body. Even when you think you are ready to crank out 20's everyday, ramp up slow and give it time. Your connective tissue has to have time to develop.

-Sickness
    Filter your water and religiously check for tick. Also use hand sanitizer.

-Running out of money
    By having 2X the funds you think you will need, this can easily be avoided. Don't let money stop you from taking a zero when your body demands it.

-Running out of time
    Setting unreal expectation will send you home a failure. There is an unknown element of injury, sickness, and physical capacity.

I saw people finish that never hiked more than a few days in their life before.
    I saw people finish that were complete fat slobs at springer, losing 40+ lbs during.
    I saw people finish on a 1$ a mile budget.
    I saw people finish that had the cheapest walmart gear
    I saw people go home that had the best gear.
    I saw people go home that were olympic athletes.
    I saw people go home that were uber hikers with massive experience.
    I saw people go home that were cranking out 20+ miles a day at the start.

What made the majority of hikers successful? The most important trait was to have the mental strength to endure both physically and mentally the challenges of the trail. You won't really know this until you get around halfway. At this point your body will be wore down from never allowing to truly rest and heal. The gravity of 2,200 miles doesn't hit most people until they hit the halfway point. If you make it to that halfway point, odds are, you are going all the way. Keep in mind though, I saw many people go home with less than 500 to Katahdin. Start slow. 10-15 miles a day max. Enjoy yourself and don't be a mile whore. Cranking out too many miles will only physically and mentally hurt your chances. To each there own. We all thru hike for our own reasons. But, if you push it beyond your mental or physical envelope, you will fail.

I want you to be successful. A 100 day hike at your level is reckless and set up to fail with 99% odds. Even a 120 day (18.3 avg) is a setup for failure. Remove the time constraint and let your mind and body set the number of days.
    I agree 1000%.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by SGTJones View Post
    Let me chime in as I've found that much of the advice I got online before I hiked was garbage because the people giving that advice hadn't actually thru hiked and was just spouting second and third hand info.

I'm almost 1,000 miles in now, have met every type of hiker. The only people I've met that can consistently do the big mile days are the ultralight people. And they've all been in their 20s.

Not saying you can't, but realistically if you've been in a sedentary office job for 20 years you'd be putting yourself at great risk of injury attempting 100 days thru hike.

So I'd say if you want to try it then really work on getting in shape NOW and keep your full pack weight under 20lbs.

Also big miles everyday with few zeroes takes a mental toll on people. There was a young couple going 25-30/day through VA who threw in the towel at Harper's because they just burned themselves out.

So my question to you: do you want to hike for an ego achievement or hike to enjoy your trip? If you want to be able to brag about doing it in 100 days before you're 50 then do that but that pace will strip a lot of the fun out of it. Sorry to be a Debbie downer in this post but it's very clear to me now having gone almost halfway that the people who want to do big miles for the ego boost ALL burn themselves out.

Some people genuinely enjoy hiking 12 hours a day, everyday, but those people are a very special breed. If you want to hit 100 days you'll most likely have to be going 10-12 hours a day, everyday, with very few Nero's and This means you can't stop. stopand enjoy the views, you won't be time for side trails. You will have o skip towns d hostels. You won't make many strong bonds with other hikers. Unless you've done long distance hiking before and know you can maintain this pace don't try it on your first thru. It's a recipe for injury and burnout.
    Just remember, just because you can't do it or don't/won't enjoy it doesn't mean that others feel the same way. I do agree with you on UL, all the people I know that can do major miles are UL or close. I strongly disagree with your assessment that it is 20 somethings doing it for ego. Also, most of the folks that I know tend to be a bit older than their 20s and far more disciplined.

Finally, as to your comment about non-thruhikers giving second and third hand advice...... Didn't you do the exact same thing. You provided your wisdom yet you have neither completed a thru hike nor have you done a 100 day equivalent so this is just a tad hypocritical.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    Just remember, just because you can't do it or don't/won't enjoy it doesn't mean that others feel the same way. I do agree with you on UL, all the people I know that can do major miles are UL or close. I strongly disagree with your assessment that it is 20 somethings doing it for ego. Also, most of the folks that I know tend to be a bit older than their 20s and far more disciplined.

Finally, as to your comment about non-thruhikers giving second and third hand advice...... Didn't you do the exact same thing. You provided your wisdom yet you have neither completed a thru hike nor have you done a 100 day equivalent so this is just a tad hypocritical.
    I never said it was impossible or unattainable... simply that based on experience and observation that it's not a good goal for someone new to long distance backpacking. If you care to refute any of the points on risk of injury, burnout, and overall experience please do.

As for me not having finished a thru yet, mile 500-1000 is where people hit their physical and mental limits. That's why the term Virginia blues exist. All the novelty has worn off, you hit physical and mental exhaustion and either settle down into a pace you can sustain or another 1200 miles, or get off the trail. What I've observed is perfectly relevant to the OP. People whose hikes are dictated by arbitrary mileage goals are the ones who are most likely to burn out in Virginia. Because they're not listening to their bodies and often they've set themselves on a timetable that they must meet, which precludes them from taking the rest and slowing down that they need, which then leads to them getting off the trail either due to injury or burnout somewhere in VA. Anyway that comment is mostly aimed at the people who just pull up a calculator and say"well you only need to average 17 miles a day so that's totally doable." Taking no account of terrain, fatigue, weather, or any other number of uncontrollable variables you'll meet on the trail.

I had to meet my GF in Waynesboro so I had to push 360 miles in 17 days. That arbitrary schedule meant I had to walk through a few very dangerous thunderstorms, skip places I wanted to see(like Apple orchards falls) and hike ahead of everyone I knew. Overall an unpleasant 360 miles. Those are some of the realities that the OP should be aware of while making his decision, realities that a simple mileage calculation do not take into account.
    2016 FlipFlop. GA>WV>ME>WV
    Hiking with DSLR photos at www.instagram.com/jackjoneshg
    Blog at www.thejourney.co

A youngster of 50 can still do great things. (I ran four 50 milers that year).

Things get a bit tougher as you approach 60. You have to keep active, but you recover much slower. At least I do... But if you stop being active, forget it.

But I wouldn't hesitate a hike even at 60-65. It's just walking, folks. You don't need to be fast, and you can take lots of rests and days off.

Best of luck to you! Stay healthy!
    “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”

Mark Twain

Journal Entries
    Images

Thru hiking the AT in 100 days or less at age 50 is a fine accomplishment which has been done by many individuals over the years.

Possible? Absolutely. Recommended? No. Take your time and enjoy the hike. I say this as a former speed demon.

Already pointed out, but worth keeping in mind. The miles you do on a good day are probably not the miles you can average. Many people do not get out of town early in the morning and in some cases, getting a ride to the trailhead can be problematic. Thus it is not uncommon to have a fairly modest day coming out of a town if you spend the night. Likewise, most people like to get into town at a fairly early hour to enjoy the fruits of victory, shower and do chores. I have found those two days are rarely high mileage days and can put a lot of pressure on you to do big miles on the complete trail days in between. That scenario caused me problems on a failed long hike.

I'm 48. Although I have not thru hiked the AT (yet), it's more likely that I could do it in 100 days at my age than ten or twenty years ago when I was in MUCH worse shape. No reason why 50 has to be some limiting factor. Tom Brady says he could play until he's 50 and I believe him.

Does everyone realize they are responding to a question asked in 2015, for a possible 2016 hike?

HansKris info says join date 07-24-15 age 55, but wanted to hike at 50? And I wonder if they hiked or still a rat in a box in the corporate world?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++