WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Looks like the only one who hasn't chimed in is Garlic (Garlic08 here). He did it... Malto kicks ass at a youthful 50.
    Karl Meltzer is getting there in his late 40's and chasing a 45 day supported hike.

The only thing I might add- Consider picking up Matt Kirk's book http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...Light-amp-Free

A great tip that Malto passed along for speedy hikes... Look at a record breaking hike, in this case Matt's unsupported trip on the AT. The same lessons and pace apply, you just need to scale up. At 58 days you could set a target for yourself to double his daily mileages. (or for exactly 100 days times them by 1.7)

But using his trip as a framework and then scaling up to your goal would let you have an idea of what miles to hit where. With some goals to shoot for you can start doing a few tune-up trips to see if you are in the ballpark. Each section of the trail is different- just trying to do a lineal pace (average) is frustrating and not very helpful overall as you want to keep your effort relative to the trail difficulty- otherwise you just fight for miles and burn out.

Just as importantly, you can see if you enjoy this type of hike.
    Some find it very freeing and enjoyable, despite the work. Many just find it to be work and unenjoyable.

Garlic
    Images

I hiked the AT at age 51 in 106 days without really trying, it was just the average 20 mpd pace I had developed on the previous long hikes I'd done. And the guy I hiked with was 63. (I bet we have a team record on the AT for days to complete being less than combined age.)

We never once hiked a 30 mile day on the AT, just kept a consistent 25+/- mpd pace and took time off when we wanted to. We met friends and family, celebrated birthdays, chatted with new friends and trail angels, toured local historical sites, took swims and naps, hiked off trail to see waterfalls and views or go to a good restaurant, never set an alarm, and never had a bad day.

But very important was we kept ourselves well fed, well hydrated, and healthy--never got injured, sunburned, blistered, or sick, no gear broke or had to be replaced, and were able to keep going in harsh weather. We had the Smokies to ourselves for a couple of days during a spring blizzard, an awesome, unforgettable experience. It was also nice to have financial resources to check into a motel or get a quality restaurant meal whenever we wanted (though the hike was relatively cheap at $3500). I couldn't have done all that successfully thirty years earlier, including the money part.

And most important was we both wanted to go for a nice walk every day, and really enjoyed the AT.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    I hiked the AT at age 51 in 106 days without really trying, it was just the average 20 mpd pace I had developed on the previous long hikes I'd done. And the guy I hiked with was 63. (I bet we have a team record on the AT for days to complete being less than combined age.)

We never once hiked a 30 mile day on the AT, just kept a consistent 25+/- mpd pace and took time off when we wanted to. We met friends and family, celebrated birthdays, chatted with new friends and trail angels, toured local historical sites, took swims and naps, hiked off trail to see waterfalls and views or go to a good restaurant, never set an alarm, and never had a bad day.

But very important was we kept ourselves well fed, well hydrated, and healthy--never got injured, sunburned, blistered, or sick, no gear broke or had to be replaced, and were able to keep going in harsh weather. We had the Smokies to ourselves for a couple of days during a spring blizzard, an awesome, unforgettable experience. It was also nice to have financial resources to check into a motel or get a quality restaurant meal whenever we wanted (though the hike was relatively cheap at $3500). I couldn't have done all that successfully thirty years earlier, including the money part.

And most important was we both wanted to go for a nice walk every day, and really enjoyed the AT.
    That's the best summary post I've ever read.

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post

That's outstanding and exactly what I want my hike to be.

Lots of good feedback here, especially from Malto and Garlic, thanks guys. This hike is about a solitary walk in the woods to find the soul that I lost somewhere in the corporate world. Town days and the social life on the trail are not on the agenda. Early mornings, long steady days, proper gear and food, along with the discipline that only comes with age. I am becoming more and more convinced that not only can I do this, but that I need to do this

With age comes determination. It sounds like you know what it takes (conditioning and planning and paying attention on the trail). I applaud you and hope you find what you seek. I have no doubt you are going to accomplish this.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by HansKris View Post
    Lots of good feedback here, especially from Malto and Garlic, thanks guys. This hike is about a solitary walk in the woods to find the soul that I lost somewhere in the corporate world. Town days and the social life on the trail are not on the agenda. Early mornings, long steady days, proper gear and food, along with the discipline that only comes with age. I am becoming more and more convinced that not only can I do this, but that I need to do this
    Many hikers start with the notion of wanting a wilderness experience. The AT is a social trail and most everyone ends their hike with the realization that the people you meet on trail and in town is the best part of the journey.

Best of luck on your adventure....
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

It will largely depend on how well you can get yourself in shape over the next year. Malto, Garlic and Fiddlehead were not starting from scratch. They had a strong fitness base before they got on the trail. Be careful in how you build your fitness now, so that you don't do too much too soon and end up injured before you even start your hike.

I wish you luck!!! Great goal!

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Walker View Post
    It will largely depend on how well you can get yourself in shape over the next year. Malto, Garlic and Fiddlehead were not starting from scratch. They had a strong fitness base before they got on the trail. Be careful in how you build your fitness now, so that you don't do too much too soon and end up injured before you even start your hike.
    I agree. (you and Jim did pretty good yourself!!!)

I think there's a lot to be said for a thru-hike or 2 before you start attempting extreme stuff.
    Like learning how to go downhills without much wear and tear on your knees.
    IMO you must build up the quads to take the punishment off the knees and alter your natural downhill jaunt.
    Downhills is probably where most injuries come from.
    Find your groove and work at it.
    I've posted my technique on here before, here it is in part:
    I watch the porters in Nepal go down a hill and learn from them. Short steps, knees bent, keep moving. Not seeming to put all their weight on any one foot at any given time.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Garlic
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    ...Downhills is probably where most injuries come from....
    Amen to this. Skiers would definitely agree! There's a tongue-in-cheek joke that 100% off all ski fatalities occur on the last run of the day. But there's a kernel of wisdom there: Don't do something dangerous when you're tired, and all you're thinking about is beer and pizza. That goes for the many steep descents into towns on the AT. Stop at the top, take a long break, eat the rest of your food, think about what you're doing, and do it safely.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

GAME 06

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    Many hikers start with the notion of wanting a wilderness experience. The AT is a social trail and most everyone ends their hike with the realization that the people you meet on trail and in town is the best part of the journey.

Best of luck on your adventure....
    Not to be contrary, but I question this. Maybe for an extrovert or someone towards the young end of the age spectrum it would be true. But there are lots of us who are not out there for the social aspects of the trail and really do not like the town stuff at all. I spent as much time away from other hikers as I could. I avoided camping near shelters and only stayed in a shelter (outside of GSMNP) with other hikers 2-3 times. I did not hike with others hardly ever either. I loved it that way. I have met or conversed via the net with quite a few who feel exactly as I do. I have no significant memories of any towns or really any hikers other than 1 or 2. So there is plenty out there for what HansKris says he is interested in.

I did the AT at 51 and averaged 21 mpd from Kincora to Hanover. I think most in their early 50's could do that. I could have gone thru the Whites at near that speed but I cut it down to about 17 mpd and just sort of mosied along.

Garlic
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wyoming View Post
    Not to be contrary, but I question this...
    I agree and my hike was much the same, but that was more a function of speed than hiking style. A very small percentage of AT hikers are 20+ mpd hikers. I would usually stop at a shelter and use a bench or table for a meal, socialize with anyone there, use the privy, then move on to camp solo a few hours later. I met a lot of interesting people, some of whom I correspond with and have met up with over the years, but I never actually hiked with anyone for more than a few hours. Even a few hours on a trail can form a strong bond.

I know one recent AT thru hiker who had planned on and was capable of a fast hike, but slowed down to hike with all the wonderful people he was meeting. He had the time and could afford it. So the social aspect draws some, but definitely not all. In summary, I think it will be whatever you want it to be.

Good words, and I am grateful for them especially from an experienced hiker. 98 days at 45 makes me feel better. I have a lot of experience under my belt and 35+ days as well, but they are a decade and a half behind me. I only live 3 hours from Baxter Park so it was my playground. I only hope that my muscles have memories and will come back to me as I start to get in shape over the next year. If after 3 months of practice hiking in Maine, I am not feeling confident, I will change my start date and give myself more time.
    I turned 50 last November 10th. I haven't done a thru hike yet. Like you life had got in the way of doing any lengthy trips. Last year I tested myself on the 100 MW which was the longest stretch of trail I have done without resupply. Knowing that I can traverse that distance has given me confidence that I can do the other sections. I learned a lot about my ability, my gear, food requirements etc. To prepare I train locally at Acadia National Park which has some very rocky and steep routes. I am heading back out to hike the same section this year with some new gear and strategies. If you would like to plan some training hikes send me a pm. I live about 2.5 hours from Baxter.

Well, this past weekend began my journey back into shape. Nothing heavy,just two shorter hikes of 4 miles each first one easy ground second one severe elevation, felt amazing. I can do this. Build up a few miles a week, cardio during the week, and eating right. I have a year.

Well, this past weekend began my journey back into shape. Nothing heavy,just two shorter hikes of 4 miles each first one easy ground second one severe elevation, felt amazing. I can do this. Build up a few miles a week, cardio during the week, and eating right. I have a year.
    All you have to do is hike about three times as far as you did over those two days, in one day. Then do it 100 days in a row.

My only thought would be that, what you did a decade ago really won't be that much of a help today. I used to run marathons decades ago and easily clipped of 100 mile days on a bike as little as 7 years ago. I was a part of a 3 man national champion karate team in college a long time ago. All that has equated to today as I took up hiking a couple of years ago was that my brain remembered what I could do buy my body could not do it. It has caused me more than a few painful recoveries. That doesn't mean you can't, just means you will need to prepare very well first.

Journal Entries
    Images

You can do anything if you put your mind to it enough. I work at REI and a guy fixing to turn 65 was gonna do the JMT out west in less than 30 days. The guy hadn't retired yet and wasn't able to take off more than a month from work. He was in pretty rough shape, and hadn't gone camping since he was in his 30s. You can totally do it. Make sure you know what you're doing by having the right gear and knowing how to use it and not overpacking, and are confident in yourself, carry that mindset with you the entire time, and have a solid support system (either on the trail or for when and if you call home). That'll be some keys to success.

I just completed my thru hike last month. Im going to be brutally honest and go against the grain of most posts here. The chances of you doing the AT in 100 days are slim and none. I'm 38, in great physical shape, and a strong mind to finish anything I start. It took me about 150 days. I wasn't trying to race through but I was a stickler about getting a minimum number of miles a day. Looking back, I should have taken more time to enjoy the people and trail rather than focused on mileage.

There are a lot of people on this forum that have never done a thru hike yet love to give advice to a fledgling hiker about the task. Be weary of such advice. Has a 50+ yr old done the AT in 100 or less, sure. But those people had hiking experience and a serious athletic background. Neither of those seem to be your current description. Out of 100 people that have in their mind they are going to do an AT thru and attempt it, less than 20% actually hike the "entire" trail. Out of those, how many are capable of doing it in 100 days? Less than 1% of those that attempt I would say. 2,200 miles in itself is no joke. Your setting yourself up for failure. Sorry to be a Debbie Downer.
    AT, Long Trail, Loyalsock Trail, Art Loeb Trail, Cranberry Lake 50, Foothills Trail, PCT, CDT, Uinta Highline Trail, Lone Star Trail, Oregon Coast Trail, Sheltowee Trace Trail, BMT, AZT

Images

Quote Originally Posted by meat803 View Post
    I just completed my thru hike last month. Im going to be brutally honest and go against the grain of most posts here. The chances of you doing the AT in 100 days are slim and none. I'm 38, in great physical shape, and a strong mind to finish anything I start. It took me about 150 days. I wasn't trying to race through but I was a stickler about getting a minimum number of miles a day. Looking back, I should have taken more time to enjoy the people and trail rather than focused on mileage.

There are a lot of people on this forum that have never done a thru hike yet love to give advice to a fledgling hiker about the task. Be weary of such advice. Has a 50+ yr old done the AT in 100 or less, sure. But those people had hiking experience and a serious athletic background. Neither of those seem to be your current description. Out of 100 people that have in their mind they are going to do an AT thru and attempt it, less than 20% actually hike the "entire" trail. Out of those, how many are capable of doing it in 100 days? Less than 1% of those that attempt I would say. 2,200 miles in itself is no joke. Your setting yourself up for failure. Sorry to be a Debbie Downer.
    Actually, most of the people giving the advice have done a thru hike and many have done a relatively fast hikes so they know the drill. Doing a hundred day hike or any thru hike isn't for everyone. Sounds like it wasn't your cup of tea. But your limitations do not limit others. Finally, there are plenty of hikers that are capable but fewer that have the desire. If the OP is willing to put the effort in then there is nothing stopping him. the fact that he has done 30+ mile days in the past puts him way ahead of most of the hundred perspective thru hikers.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++