WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default SOBO Starting August 10-16 2015

Anyone going southbound around this time? I've got no set agenda, but would like to try and beat winter in the smokies.

I've a friend driving up to NY who's giving me a ride, then I'll bus/train/fly from there to Bangor, bus/shuttle to Baxter.

- K

Hey Kevin:

Im heading south through the 100 mile wilderness at the end of the month. In the event you end up with a later start let me know. Have you done any long hikes in past? Is your gear set up pretty light? When I eventually thru hike the AT I would choose SOBO in August. Bug free, Fall colors, cool nights.

Quote Originally Posted by Heliotrope View Post
    Hey Kevin:

Im heading south through the 100 mile wilderness at the end of the month. In the event you end up with a later start let me know. Have you done any long hikes in past? Is your gear set up pretty light? When I eventually thru hike the AT I would choose SOBO in August. Bug free, Fall colors, cool nights.

I'm doing my best to be out there between the 8th and 15th.

Gear wise I feel pretty good. Haven't figured out how to pack 10 days of food yet, but that's for next week when I have time to go shopping.

PM me what your start date is, maybe we can tackle it together.

- K

Images

It is possible to do a a food drop so you don't have to pack/carry food for the entire 100 Mile Wilderness. .
    Last edited by chiefduffy; 07-30-2015 at 06:23.
    Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. -Kahlil Gibran

Quote Originally Posted by kevinNC View Post
    I'm doing my best to be out there between the 8th and 15th.

Gear wise I feel pretty good. Haven't figured out how to pack 10 days of food yet, but that's for next week when I have time to go shopping.

PM me what your start date is, maybe we can tackle it together.

- K
    I carried about 9 days of food and finished it in 8 days. I Chose foods I knew I would really enjoy and planned about 4500 cal/day. On day 4 I came upon a thru hiker eating an orange from a trail magic cooler. The secnt of it was overpoweringly good. I contemplated tackling him for it. the next day I came upon two people with a car at a dirt road- I actually asked them if they had any fresh fruit! So maybe I will pack an apple or two for the midpoint as a morale booster!

I'll be going at around that time. So far, it is looking as if I will be starting on the 12th.

Starting in Baxter on the 13th.

- K

Journal Entries

I will be starting SOBO Thru Hike August 10th "Granddaddy"

Keven,
    Wish I could help but we are down stream about 300 miles. We have a hostel in Lancaster NH and can pick you up at Rattle river in Gorham. We will see south SOBO's and are hosting about 6 right now. We could hook you up with them and/or they may want to connect with you.

As far as Chief Duffy's Question I have heard that there are some that will drop off food, packs, and the like on the 100 mile wilderness. I will check with our SOBO's. We have some here that may know who to contact.

Give us a call when you get near Gorham and we can do what we can. We do two shuttles to Rattle River, one in the AM and one in the PM

hikershostel.org

Cheers

Gingerbread Man
    Last edited by haqinai; 08-13-2015 at 14:34.

++ New Posts ++