WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Lightbulb Gear list for 1st time thru-hiker.. please review!

Hello, going to be embarking on a NOBO on the LT soon, here's my projected list of gear to bring, any feedback is welcome!

Backpack - 86 oz

50 degree mummy bag w/ stuff sack - 27 oz

Ridge-rest 3/4 length bedroll - 9 oz

Skeeter Beeter hammock, - 30 oz

Large rainfly, - 21 oz

Tree slings - 8 oz

Rain poncho which covers self and pack - 16 oz

Fanny pack w/
    ---first aid (rubber bandaids, bacitracin zinc, moleskin, TP, balm), headlamp, lighter, lensatic compass, Sawyer filter straw, etc. - 3.4 oz

Cooking bowl w/ fancy feast stove - 5.1 oz

Netted sponge for scrubbing, <0.5oz

Isopropyl alcohol for cooking, doubles as first aid - 8 oz-ish

Clothes - approx 16 oz

Bug Head net w/ stuff sack - <1oz

Notebook/pen- few ounces?

Long Trail map, waterproof

Sawyer filter syringe, few ounces

Approx. 235 ounces,

So, roughly 14.5 - 15 lbs before food and water. Obviously a lighter pack would cut a couple pounds off, alas.

Planning on finding a 1L plastic bottle that's compatible with my sawyer squeeze, so I don't have to bring a Nalgene.

For tying my rain fly down, planning on getting about (6) 5-foot cord lengths w/ stakes. I'm looking for something basic/cheap but strong and will last a while, probably neon green or orange, any suggestions? (also, using shepherd-hook stakes)

The rain fly I have is very large (Grand Trunk "Funky Forest" tarp) so I'll be able to play with a few different shapes and setups, inspirations thanks to www.theultimatehang.com !

Of course there are other items I am bringing, a (very) small bungee cord for securing my water bottle, not of considerable weight.

Also considering a heavy duty garbage bag or two for improved backpack waterproofing, etc.

I do not have the Long Trail guide, am/ am planning on using resources such as whiteblaze.net for information, notes, and map-marking (resupply).

A lot of thanks to fellow posters on www.whiteblaze.net for all the handy know-how and such!

All feedback is welcome, thank you.
    A hiking stick a-sway keeps the doctor at bay.

Have you extensively used the ridge-rest in the hammock before? If you’re leaving soon like you say you should be OK with that assuming you’ve used it before with good success (common problems are your sides getting cold and keeping the pad in place while you sleep…and feet getting cold).

For hammock suspension, for around $20 or so you can get that down to 3 ounces with kevlar tree straps and amsteel whoopie slings (and your disconnection system of choice: soft shackles, whoopee hooks or whatnot).

Have you tried your Sawyer filter before? Are you using the mini or regular squeeze? I find them TONS easier to use as a gravity filter (was always fine with the regular size but the first time I used the mini it was horrible using the squeeze method). I would also look into Evernew water bladders - they fit the Sawyer perfectly (unlike the new Platypus ones which don’t seal nearly as well).

For line for the tarp, I would get some Zing-It or Lash-it. Comes in bright colors but not neon or reflective or anything like that. I’ve snapped lesser line (like Zline) on my hammock tarp before.

Images

If interested I have a comprehensive detailed gear list in xcel. Send pm with email and I will forward.

If you use a garbage bag for waterproofing use a trash compactor bag for a liner, they wont rip like a normal garbage bag. Not much to cut weight wise. The pack is a bit heavy but if it carries well and you like it than keep it. Not that its much weight, but I generally stuff my sleeping bag w/o a stuff sack into the bottom of my backpack to save weight and find it easier to pack in and out. If it starts to rain I just knot the trash compactor bag shut.

Isopropyl alcohol isn't a very good fuel choice for cooking - http://adventuresinstoving.blogspot....tove-fuel.html.

-FA

I suggest a pack cover in addition to lining your bag with a trash compactor bag. There my be times that you take your pack off so your poncho won't protect you and your pack. I'd also look at the website for the Green Mountain Club about trail updates, etc. GMC publishes an End-to-Enders Guide with info about trail towns, services, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Dochartaigh View Post
    Have you extensively used the ridge-rest in the hammock before? If you’re leaving soon like you say you should be OK with that assuming you’ve used it before with good success (common problems are your sides getting cold and keeping the pad in place while you sleep…and feet getting cold).

For hammock suspension, for around $20 or so you can get that down to 3 ounces with kevlar tree straps and amsteel whoopie slings (and your disconnection system of choice: soft shackles, whoopee hooks or whatnot).

Have you tried your Sawyer filter before? Are you using the mini or regular squeeze? I find them TONS easier to use as a gravity filter (was always fine with the regular size but the first time I used the mini it was horrible using the squeeze method). I would also look into Evernew water bladders - they fit the Sawyer perfectly (unlike the new Platypus ones which don’t seal nearly as well).

For line for the tarp, I would get some Zing-It or Lash-it. Comes in bright colors but not neon or reflective or anything like that. I’ve snapped lesser line (like Zline) on my hammock tarp before.
    I forgot to mention, the ridgerest is just for use in shelters, if I happen to come across one that I can/want to stay in. I have an emergency blanket (which I forgot to list, 3oz) which one side is heat-reflective, in combination with heavy wool socks, ibex woolies, and sleeping bag, and rain poncho beneath if extra protection against cold/bugs is needed =)

I have heard a lot about whoopie slings but am not exactly sure what they are, I even went to whoopieslings.com or something and am still not exactly sure on what they are, but I will look more into them.

I have NOT used my Sawyer squeeze mini yet --- was just planning on getting a bladder and pre-filtering with a bandana, then using the Sawyer mini straw to drink directly. Thank you for the advice on Evernew, had only heard of Platypus. Not sure what gravity filtration is.

Will look into Zing-it and Lash-it, thanks for all the advice!!

Quote Originally Posted by Farr Away View Post
    Isopropyl alcohol isn't a very good fuel choice for cooking - http://adventuresinstoving.blogspot....tove-fuel.html.

-FA
    Thank you, FA, will look for Kleen Strip or something similar at the hardware store!

Thanks everyone else for the advice so far!

What are the expected low temperatures during your hike? Then subtract around 20º for things like freak rainstorms which sometimes like to drop the temperature really fast. Whatever that temperature is, you need some actual insulation in your hammock rated for that because an emergency blanket won’t do anything. I’ve frozen my butt off, and not gotten any sleep, when it’s a mere 60º out in a hammock. It’s the same basic premise as to why a bridge freezes before the rest of the road does.

As to all the other insulation you wish to sleep in when it’s chilly outside, you have to remember that most insulation works by trapping air. When you sleep in a hammock any insulation underneath you (between your body and the hammock) is compressed, all its air is forced out, and it doesn’t insulate whatsoever. That’s why the insulation of choice is a down under quilt that’s outside of the hammock hugging it from underneath. A normal sleeping mat can be used as well, but your sides can get cold (since the sleeping bag on your sides is compressed by the hammock and doesn’t insulate at all), and speaking for myself (who tosses and turns all night), I can’t keep one in place for more than a couple minutes.

For what a whoopee sling is, I suggest going to YouTube and typing in “hammock whoopie sling”. There’s over 2,400 results… Another great resource is https://www.hammockforums.net

I wonder if I'll see you- I should start my NOBO August 3rd. Out of curiosity- what is your clothes breakdown? I am down to clothes and food picking as my last prep stuff.

I'd think twice about the 50-degree bag. Usually bags are comfortable down to about 5 degrees warmer than their stated limit, which might mean 55-degrees. It is virtually certain that you will have at least one night during an end-to-ender that will go lower than 55-degrees....and probably it'll be 3 or 4 nights. If your bag gets humid or damp (and that happens often enough), then it'll be even less effective. And, if you are in your hammock, my expectation is that you'd freeze your butt off even at 65 or 70-degrees.

You can get away with a light bag, but bring some extra clothes to sleep in!

For budget cordage for your tarp, braided masons line from a big box hardware store works fine

Quote Originally Posted by Collin View Post
    I wonder if I'll see you- I should start my NOBO August 3rd. Out of curiosity- what is your clothes breakdown? I am down to clothes and food picking as my last prep stuff.
    Clothes are basically base layers with one pair of shorts and shirt overtop, and a pair of light shorts for swimming. Food is going to start out with a home-made trail mix (pumpkin seeds, almonds, walnuts, dried cherries, dried currants, raisins, chia seeds, sesame seeds, shredded coconut flakes, crystallized ginger and nutritional yeast) and a few other things. (to get technical, going to toast the nuts and seeds, and seperately cook down a bit of honey and add the small things like sesame, chia, coconut flakes, and yeast so they stick together and don't make a mess or get dropped by the handful)

Quote Originally Posted by StubbleJumper View Post
    I'd think twice about the 50-degree bag. Usually bags are comfortable down to about 5 degrees warmer than their stated limit, which might mean 55-degrees. It is virtually certain that you will have at least one night during an end-to-ender that will go lower than 55-degrees....and probably it'll be 3 or 4 nights. If your bag gets humid or damp (and that happens often enough), then it'll be even less effective. And, if you are in your hammock, my expectation is that you'd freeze your butt off even at 65 or 70-degrees.

You can get away with a light bag, but bring some extra clothes to sleep in!
    I was a little wary on the 50 degree.. I'm sure hiking into the end of August will definitely put me in more than a few chilly nights. I may upgrade to the 20 degree version of the bag I have, (North Face Aleutian 50 degree), or just go with another bag, we shall see. Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Dochartaigh View Post
    What are the expected low temperatures during your hike? Then subtract around 20º for things like freak rainstorms which sometimes like to drop the temperature really fast. Whatever that temperature is, you need some actual insulation in your hammock rated for that because an emergency blanket won’t do anything. I’ve frozen my butt off, and not gotten any sleep, when it’s a mere 60º out in a hammock. It’s the same basic premise as to why a bridge freezes before the rest of the road does.

As to all the other insulation you wish to sleep in when it’s chilly outside, you have to remember that most insulation works by trapping air. When you sleep in a hammock any insulation underneath you (between your body and the hammock) is compressed, all its air is forced out, and it doesn’t insulate whatsoever. That’s why the insulation of choice is a down under quilt that’s outside of the hammock hugging it from underneath. A normal sleeping mat can be used as well, but your sides can get cold (since the sleeping bag on your sides is compressed by the hammock and doesn’t insulate at all), and speaking for myself (who tosses and turns all night), I can’t keep one in place for more than a couple minutes.

For what a whoopee sling is, I suggest going to YouTube and typing in “hammock whoopie sling”. There’s over 2,400 results… Another great resource is https://www.hammockforums.net
    This is the emergency blanket I have, it's made in the town I live in, when you put it on it's kind of like someone puts you in a microwave on a low setting, you can immediately feel your body heat reflecting on itself. http://www.adventuremedicalkits.com/...l-blanket.html Not sure if it will live up to the LT, we will see. I am extremely new to hammocking so I'm sure I will stumble into folly at some point.

So far from what I can tell a whoopie sling is just a single piece of webbing that loops around a tree and through itself?

Quote Originally Posted by GreenThumb View Post
    This is the emergency blanket I have, it's made in the town I live in, when you put it on it's kind of like someone puts you in a microwave on a low setting, you can immediately feel your body heat reflecting on itself. http://www.adventuremedicalkits.com/...l-blanket.html Not sure if it will live up to the LT, we will see. I am extremely new to hammocking so I'm sure I will stumble into folly at some point.
    You will absolutely freeze if you only use that. It's true those do reflect back some body heat, but they work TONS better when there is also air trapped between you and the emergency blanket – the blanket then starts to really work because of that trapped and warmed air keeps you a little warmer. When you're laying directly on the blanket there's no air at all between you and the blanket thus little warming is going on. I repeat, you will freeze, even at mild temperatures like 60º (hell, I've had a cold back-side in my hammock when it's 80º out and the front of my body is sweating!) if all you use is an emergency blanket.

If you're set on using something like that (and not the pad you're already bringing with you), please do yourself a favor and at least get some Reflectix from Home Depot or Lowes. That's a similar material to the system Clark hammocks use for mild temperatures I believe. That material at least is built with tons of little air pockets which will heat-up via your body heat and insulate you a bit (you might also have to deal with condensation/water build-up with all these options).

Quote Originally Posted by GreenThumb View Post
    So far from what I can tell a whoopie sling is just a single piece of webbing that loops around a tree and through itself?
    No. Please watch the videos, and go visit and read a ton of info on HammockForums.

Quote Originally Posted by Farr Away View Post

-FA
    I use HEET and it works better then anything so far. It is also readily available. It is a clean fuel and easy to use.

Couple of things that I have learned with gear during my 4 day test hikes on the AT this summer. The lighter the better!

1> I switched my Hennessy Deluxe Hammock for a Big Agnes Scout Deluxe. Saved over 2 lbs and can sleep 2 people. Also i learned that I want to be around people during the evening for safety and fun. Finding a flat spot was not to hard but a site with two perfect trees was.
    2> Switched to trail runners from waterproof mid boots. It rained for one full day during a hike and my boots had to weigh 2 lbs each. They tuck 3 days to dry in the sun. I tested trail runners and they dried with my body heat within 30m min. Only risk is sprained ankles, of which I saw several of @ Upper Goose Pond Cabin.
    3> Switched from Darn tough socks to black 1x soccer socks, great in keeping the bugs off your calf's! and 1x ankle socks. They dry fast in the sun and are spandex/polyester/padded the black color dries faster in the sun.
    4> Added a emergency beacon!
    5> Switched from carrying two 1 liter platypus bags to 1 lt bottle with mini Sawyer and empty Platypus bag for dry stretches. This is a common practice and saved a lot of weight.
    6> Swapped my Frogg Togg rain suite to a rain jacket(EMS) and rain kilt(z-packs).
    7> Have one pair of good pains w/ zip offs and a pair of shorts. Shorts for sleeping in. wear the pains everyday, rinsing them and all my cloths from that day out. I sleep in the damp socks and underwear, they will be dry in the am. One extra shirt, underwear and Middle weight top and bottom long underwear in case in gets cold at night. Saved 1 lb
    8> Switched form a 20 degree bag to a 40 degree liner bag, add a cotton liner to that for cold nights or if its hot just use the lightweight liner. Saved over 2lbs.
    9> I have the 3/4 thermarest and use it all day to sit on and take breaks, keeps the bugs and dirt off also when getting water and kneeling it is nice not to get the muck on your knees.
    10> I only cook once per day, dinner. Breakfast is a Gatorade bottle with 2 packets of coffee and on carnation instant breakfast mix. Add filtered water to the bottle at night and leave it out to get cold. Then in the am mix it up and drink it while you pack and go. Fast/light and easy!
    11> I treated all my cloths with Promethian(?) I am bringing a 4 oz bottle of bug dope for my exposed skin.
    12> Added a small chocolate protein bar for after dinner, replacing hot coco, one less thing to cook/clean.
    13> Added a small battery pack to recharge my cell and mp3 player. Also learned to keep the smartphone on airplane mode to save battery.
    14> Using the places that I stay as a re-supply, having it shipped to the location saves a trip and I can arrive anytime with out worry or getting my re-supply.

These are just of the things that I learned and changed. I got my pack from 36 lbs to ~ 23 lbs with everything.

Quote Originally Posted by 4Days View Post
    Couple of things that I have learned with gear during my 4 day test hikes on the AT this summer. The lighter the better!

1> I switched my Hennessy Deluxe Hammock for a Big Agnes Scout Deluxe. Saved over 2 lbs and can sleep 2 people. Also i learned that I want to be around people during the evening for safety and fun. Finding a flat spot was not to hard but a site with two perfect trees was.
    2> Switched to trail runners from waterproof mid boots. It rained for one full day during a hike and my boots had to weigh 2 lbs each. They tuck 3 days to dry in the sun. I tested trail runners and they dried with my body heat within 30m min. Only risk is sprained ankles, of which I saw several of @ Upper Goose Pond Cabin.
    3> Switched from Darn tough socks to black 1x soccer socks, great in keeping the bugs off your calf's! and 1x ankle socks. They dry fast in the sun and are spandex/polyester/padded the black color dries faster in the sun.
    4> Added a emergency beacon!
    5> Switched from carrying two 1 liter platypus bags to 1 lt bottle with mini Sawyer and empty Platypus bag for dry stretches. This is a common practice and saved a lot of weight.
    6> Swapped my Frogg Togg rain suite to a rain jacket(EMS) and rain kilt(z-packs).
    7> Have one pair of good pains w/ zip offs and a pair of shorts. Shorts for sleeping in. wear the pains everyday, rinsing them and all my cloths from that day out. I sleep in the damp socks and underwear, they will be dry in the am. One extra shirt, underwear and Middle weight top and bottom long underwear in case in gets cold at night. Saved 1 lb
    8> Switched form a 20 degree bag to a 40 degree liner bag, add a cotton liner to that for cold nights or if its hot just use the lightweight liner. Saved over 2lbs.
    9> I have the 3/4 thermarest and use it all day to sit on and take breaks, keeps the bugs and dirt off also when getting water and kneeling it is nice not to get the muck on your knees.
    10> I only cook once per day, dinner. Breakfast is a Gatorade bottle with 2 packets of coffee and on carnation instant breakfast mix. Add filtered water to the bottle at night and leave it out to get cold. Then in the am mix it up and drink it while you pack and go. Fast/light and easy!
    11> I treated all my cloths with Promethian(?) I am bringing a 4 oz bottle of bug dope for my exposed skin.
    12> Added a small chocolate protein bar for after dinner, replacing hot coco, one less thing to cook/clean.
    13> Added a small battery pack to recharge my cell and mp3 player. Also learned to keep the smartphone on airplane mode to save battery.
    14> Using the places that I stay as a re-supply, having it shipped to the location saves a trip and I can arrive anytime with out worry or getting my re-supply.

These are just of the things that I learned and changed. I got my pack from 36 lbs to ~ 23 lbs with everything.
    Great lessons - thanks!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++