WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Shoud I Bring A Machete?

I am heading out on Wednesday for a 30 mile hike on the BMT. I have been reading older posts about plant overgrowth crowding the trail.

Would it make sense to bring a 2 pound machete along with me to help clear plants encroaching on the trail?

Is it even allowed? Is that something that someone shouldn't do in order to keep the trail pristine?

These are questions I have never thought about before. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Images

Where on the BMT are you going

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Springer to Wilscot gap starting Wed. Staying 1st night at Stover's creek AT shelter. Slow and easy. Ending Sunday morning at Wilscot. I really want to take my time and enjoy this hike. hope to see much wild life.
    Quote Originally Posted by cneill13 View Post
    I am heading out on Wednesday for a 30 mile hike on the BMT. I have been reading older posts about plant overgrowth crowding the trail.

Would it make sense to bring a 2 pound machete along with me to help clear plants encroaching on the trail?

Is it even allowed? Is that something that someone shouldn't do in order to keep the trail pristine?

These are questions I have never thought about before. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Images

I was just out there. That section is fine. Leave the machete

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Nice. That is what I was hoping for.

Thanks again for the advice.

But again wondering. Is taking a machete on a trail to trim back growth PC?

Or is it crossing the line between a personal preference and how the trail should truly be?

That is something I sometimes ponder.

Just wondering other viewpoints.

Journal Entries

Or is it crossing the line between a personal preference and how the trail should truly be?

machetes really arent the preferred instrument for trail maintenance. You will wear yourself out and get blisters.

A light folding pruning saw, and some small pruning clippers would do better on an established trail..

If you are looking to fend of drunken inbred hillbillies, then the machete is your tool.

Journal Entries

Weedwhacker with an extra long cord, or battery and solar panels.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post

If you are looking to fend of drunken inbred hillbillies, then the machete is your tool.
    I'm of-fend-ed!
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

Images

As one who does maintenance I would always accept any help from hikers keeping the tread way clear, so worries about clearing some. However a machete is the preferred tool for clearing totally choked jungles and such. For trimming trail a pair of hand snips and a folding saw are the preferred tools. As mentioned a machete will wear you out quickly and not accomplish a lot of trimming, plus it will wear blisters in your hands if you are not use to it. And from personal experience, you can hurt yourself pretty bad with one unintentionally.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

I've cut a lot of branches out from the trail with a simple 3" blade pocket knife. I have this thing against branches which come close to poking my eye out as I hike along. I keep my knife handy so it doesn't take more then a minute to stop and remove the offending branch.

I often carry a pair of small pruning shears on day hikes here in NH as spruce trees can really gown in fast and choke a trail. Wish there was a way to turn a hiking pole into a grass whip when needed to knock down ferns and grass along the trail.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

I agree with above that folding saw and snips are most useful, most often.

Having said that, I just recently used trekking poles to whack my way through overgrown blackberry briars and devil's walking stick thorns on the Brush Mountain trail [97]
    A machete would have been a welcome tool. The odds are better that it's weight not needed most of the time.
    And that's coming from someone who carries both a saw and a hatchet.

Quote Originally Posted by moytoy View Post
    I'm of-fend-ed!
    Yea, where's the WB PC cops on this one? Must be elsewhere harassing someone for using a word or phrase that hurts their feelings or might hurt the feelings of someone they know.

I just got back from a 20 day July trip on the BMT between Sandy Gap north to Big Fat Gap and gotta say with all the recent rains the trail was hellish in spots and taken over by fast growing briars and weeds. I did State Line Ridge 2 days before the Crosscut Mt Boys came out to clear it and it was almost impossible to follow. It's now cleared I assume.

Leave the machete at home and carry a good pair of Felco pruners instead. What crap is in your face like briars and sawbriars can be easily cut with one snip so you can walk thru without getting stuck. Pruners will never open up these kinds of trails---you need weed swingblades and/or gas powered weed eaters to clear a real swath.

Cneill13's above comment is almost comical: How the trail should truly be? Without human clearing all trails would disintegrate and become impassable in 5 years. It's a must that backpackers clip as they hike and if able bring a folding saw and cut the stuff chest or face high like rhodo branches.

This is a Rain Man pic and shows Randy Draper with us on the BMT between Sandy Gap and Sled Runner Gap. Yes, he's standing directly on the trail. It was like this for miles.

I also had a very interesting experience on the State Line BMT where there's a water source near Round Top and marked in Sgt Rock's guide. It's a little seep spring 50 feet off the trail and so I head down and squat by the pool for 10 minutes using my filter to get water. My right shoulder and arm are just 2 feet away from Mister Happy and I never saw him until I stood up to shake out my water filter. Here's a better pic---

Unbelievable overgrowth. I find that stuff frustrating because it slows me down. That and you dont know what you are stepping on.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    I also had a very interesting experience on the State Line BMT where there's a water source near Round Top and marked in Sgt Rock's guide. It's a little seep spring 50 feet off the trail and so I head down and squat by the pool for 10 minutes using my filter to get water. My right shoulder and arm are just 2 feet away from Mister Happy and I never saw him until I stood up to shake out my water filter. Here's a better pic---

That is why timber rattlers are scary. They are so laid back and usually dont rattle.

On my recent July trip I saw 4 pit vipers including 3 rattlesnakes. Here's one near Slickrock Creek---

I was out on the first 20 miles of the BMT over the past weekend. The trail in in awesome shape. Cudos to the trail maintainers. Expertly marked and one of my favorite trails ever.

No machete needed on this stretch. A true hidden trail jewel in my opinion.

Images

I've always hear the rattler called the gentlemen of snakes because he at least lets you know he is there so you can stay away. Last month I saw this big sucker going south from Toonawee Mountain.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

++ New Posts ++