WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default which bifurcation?

I'm planning my next section of the iat. I know both east and west bifurcation are officially recognized, with the east being more "developed." If I take the west it would be a supported week of day hikes (less weight/more miles). If I take the east a week of backpacking ( more developed trails/ limited camping). Suggestions?

I found backpacking the eastern bifurcation - which I did last fall - to be a handful of long days with few services and even fewer places to overnight. To me, day hiking the western bifurcation sounds like a winner!!

Well, I was able to get some vacation time...in april. I've decided on the western bifurcation. It will be all day hikes since there is no camping along either bifurcation. If you see a bearded heavily tattooed guy hiking in the dells area give me a wave!

April should be ideal! Doing it in day hikes is a great strategy. Have fun, wish I could be there too!

It's nice to hear other IAT hikers perspectives on which path to take on the IAT split. It's an intresting deviation from other long distance trails that are straightforward linear. I wonder if in the future when the sections eventually gets connected if a consensus forms on what side a thru hiker would "normally" take. It's also nice to get perspectives from another Wisconsinite hikers.

Both bifurcations are logistically challenging for an LD backpacker. I opted for the eastern route in 2014 as the "lesser of two evils."

From the 1000 milers I've met and other hikers I've talked to it definitely seems the east bifurcation is the more popular route. The east does have more "trail" miles. But the west does skirt by some nice state parks and through the dells which can be fun.

It seems a fair number of the "other" trails (not just IAT, but GET, ADT, Florida Trail) have bifurcations. It has occurred to some of us to wonder why.

Quote Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
    It seems a fair number of the "other" trails (not just IAT, but GET, ADT, Florida Trail) have bifurcations. It has occurred to some of us to wonder why.
    Hi Peter, here's the story behind the IAT's bifurcations: http://www.iceagetrail.org/wp-conten...2015-Final.pdf .

Quote Originally Posted by kf1wv View Post
    Hi Peter, here's the story behind the IAT's bifurcations: http://www.iceagetrail.org/wp-conten...2015-Final.pdf .
    The GET's bifurcation is somewhat similar, to please different communities of advocates. What was previously wondered about is what peculiarity of "other" trails renders them susceptible.

++ New Posts ++