WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Springer Mountain to NC Border water supplies

Hi everyone,

I am plan on backpacking the Georgia section of the A.T. soon. Can anyone tell me how the water supplies are looking? Are streams still flowing? Are there some long distances between water options? Any suggestions, as this is my first time with this part of the trail, of places or things to make sure I stop long enough to really enjoy?

Thanks again.

Images

When are going ?? I'm doing the section from Dicks Creek to Franklin tomorrow and can provide water info from Dicks to the NC border for you when I get back in a few days.

I would say enjoy the views from the top of Blood Mountain as well as the amenities offered at Mountain Crossings at Neel Gap.
    Remote for detachment, narrow for chosen company, winding for leisure, lonely for contemplation, the Trail beckons not merely north and south, but upward to the body, mind, and soul of man.

Images

Take the side trail to Long Creek Falls, even in the summer it's a nice spot (though the falls aren't as impressive as in the spring). Enjoy the summit of Sassafras Mountain, you will have earned it. Great views from the top of Blood, as mentioned above, and Neels Gap/Mountain Crossings is a nice place to stop for a bite to eat, resupply, even a night off the trail if you like. If you hike the Approach Trail, the summit of Springer is cool, there is a nice view from the first white blaze, and don't forget to sign the register in the rock. The summit tenting area is nice, too.

North of Neels, Cowrock Mountain has some nice views (and coyotes). The Tray Mountain summit is great, and it's a nice walk from there to Dick's Creek Gap.

Dunno about the water. Lots of rain here in Central NC, and the radar shows big systems moving through the mountains all the time.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

I am leaving tomorrow and driving to the approach trail. Then I plan on heading to Dick's Creek Gap. Is it difficult to find a ride back to a vehicle in the area? Thanks for the places to enjoy. I have made notes about them to soak in the beauty. Enjoy your trail time Steel Cut.

Images

There are several people who shuttle in the area, for a fee. When you stop in at Neels Gap you can ask for names and phone numbers, maybe call a few and see who is in town and make a tentative plan. It's certainly possible to hitch from the trail to town, though it gets more difficult once you're in town to hitch to the next town, then the next, etc., back to your car. Unfortunately the state park where you will leave your car isn't really on the way to anywhere...
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

Quote Originally Posted by OutdoorEvan View Post
    I am leaving tomorrow and driving to the approach trail. Then I plan on heading to Dick's Creek Gap. Is it difficult to find a ride back to a vehicle in the area? Thanks for the places to enjoy. I have made notes about them to soak in the beauty. Enjoy your trail time Steel Cut.
    If you are now stopping at Dicks, I'm not sure if my water report from Dicks to the NC Border will help you much :-) But for the record water was not a problem on this stretch ... all the sources that I stopped at were flowing well. With all the afternoon thundershowers this area has been receiving the last week I would suspect you won't have any water problems from Springer to Dicks.
    Remote for detachment, narrow for chosen company, winding for leisure, lonely for contemplation, the Trail beckons not merely north and south, but upward to the body, mind, and soul of man.

Water is flowing well between Springer and Neels (my little world). I have no reason to believe north of Neels is any different. There is no water between Hawk Mtn Shelter and Justus Creek, a tough six mile section. So fill up at Hawk. A shuttle guy sometimes leaves water jugs at Cooper Gap but I would not depend on it.

Enjoy your hike.

I'll be doing Springer to Neel's Gap in two weeks, glad to hear there is water. It's been a concern in planning this trip. How is the water source at Hawk Mtn shelter? Any idea?

Water at Hawk Mtn Shelter is running fine.

Between Hawk and Justus Creek you should find water jugs being left by folks at Cooper Gap. That may be a welcome reprieve. There were also water jugs at Gooch Gap, although there is also a source available.

Awesome, Thanks everyone.

Water was flowing great at Hawk Mountain Shelter. For the most part water was found within reason throughout the entire trip.

++ New Posts ++