WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Inspiration

Lightbulb Inspiration

I was reading an article on another website (blasphemy!) today and found some real encouraging words for the Class of 2016.

There’s a petty side to human nature that seeks to tear down strong people because we interpret their success as an offense to our own inadequacy. The words of the people who succumb to this have no bearing on you, so don’t let anyone’s arbitrary benchmarks determine your actions. It doesn’t matter if you begin the trail out of shape or without hiking experience. You’re the only person who can say whether or not you’re going to finish.

If you believed what people said, you wouldn’t be standing on Springer.

Source: http://matadornetwork.com/sports/11-...lachian-trail/

Well said. "Don't let anyone's arbitrary benchmarks determine your actions" - I needed to hear this today. Thanks for posting g00gle! Consider me inspired

Thank you! I've been struggling to make a comeback from a miserably failed thru in 2014, wondering if everyone was right about how I shouldn't have even tried because I'm too [insert adjective]. Inspiration for another hike has been hard to find, though lurking here certainly helps. I'm going to print your post and put it where I'll see it every day.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by g00gle View Post
    I was reading an article on another website (blasphemy!) today and found some real encouraging words for the Class of 2016.

Source: http://matadornetwork.com/sports/11-...lachian-trail/
    Never EVER EVER listen to what other people say that seeks to tear us down. If I did that, I would have never ended up on Springer LAST DECEMBER of all times...then definitely not again in FEBRUARY....We hiked through the worst storm to ever hit the AT and I was new to hiking. With that being said, other people CAN inspire you. Hell g00gle, you inspired me recently with your email. However, the people that seek to tear you down can get in your head. The truth is that we can never let them tear us down. If you feel like it, you can go back to my first videos and you will see that I was told that I couldnt and wouldnt get out there because I was out of shape (I lost 40lbs in a month)....You will see that they said that my lack of hiking experience would get me seriously hurt and that I would give up on the trail for good. You will see DETERMINATION regardless of the "rules" or "standards"....Inspiration? Once you get out there, EVERYTHING will inspire you....I CANT WAIT to be out there again...The minute you see the Arch at Amicalola, you will be filled with enough inspiration to hike the whole trail.

With that being said g00gle, YOU ARE gonna finish this trail....I can see it in your writings and passion. I look forward to standing on top of Khatadin with you.
    Tear Drop 2016 - This thing will NOT beat Me!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyc...rhn5dwBltHGUxw

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by g00gle View Post
    There’s a petty side to human nature that seeks to tear down strong people because we interpret their success as an offense to our own inadequacy. The words of the people who succumb to this have no bearing on you, so don’t let anyone’s arbitrary benchmarks determine your actions. It doesn’t matter if you begin the trail out of shape or without hiking experience. You’re the only person who can say whether or not you’re going to finish.
    These are very good words to live by - if you are questioning yourself because of physical condition, or experience, or general "coolness." You don't need to be a world-class athlete to hike the Trail. Just start slower. There's no shame in doing 8-mile days at the start. By the end you'll be in awesome hiking fettle no matter where you started.

But don't extend the words to encompass inconsiderate behaviour. Being scrupulous about LNT practicies is not an "arbitrary benchmark," but should be thought of as the price of admission. You will unaviodably do damage, but try to leave the trail better than you found it.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Another Kevin View Post
    These are very good words to live by - if you are questioning yourself because of physical condition, or experience, or general "coolness." You don't need to be a world-class athlete to hike the Trail. Just start slower. There's no shame in doing 8-mile days at the start. By the end you'll be in awesome hiking fettle no matter where you started.

But don't extend the words to encompass inconsiderate behaviour. Being scrupulous about LNT practicies is not an "arbitrary benchmark," but should be thought of as the price of admission. You will unaviodably do damage, but try to leave the trail better than you found it.
    Well said.
    Tear Drop 2016 - This thing will NOT beat Me!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyc...rhn5dwBltHGUxw

I'll plug it again here as I know it can help thru-hikers in planning gain some perspective on thru-hiking from those who have done it well repeatedly.

http://www.spiriteaglehome.com/THP_top.html

Images

Paraphrase and condense what Teardrop 1776 said above: "People throw rocks at things that shine".

Heh. Taylor Swift. "Ours"
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Images

While I agree completely with the theme of this thread, I would also point out that if you don't want to hear that it can't be done then don't ask the question of others if you can do it. usually you are the only one that can answer that question.

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    While I agree completely with the theme of this thread, I would also point out that if you don't want to hear that it can't be done then don't ask the question of others if you can do it. usually you are the only one that can answer that question.
    Oooohhh! +1

"If you believed what people said, you wouldn’t be standing on Springer."

I wonder what type of people you have allowed yourself to be around and listen to if this is the case. If YOU routinely allow yourself to be surrounded by people of doubt and unbelief that pull you down maybe you need some new friends and people to listen to. In that case it is YOU who bears some responsibility in the voices that you allow into your life.

Talk about Inspiration... This is not hiking, but it's definitely about overcoming obstacles, something to remember while on the trail thinking you have it so bad.

Incredible story. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpA-FsKLA6A

A little backstory on the above video:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kayla_Montgomery

http://www.npr.org/2014/03/08/287751...iple-sclerosis

Journal Entries
    Images

Some people have a tendency to disregard the advice of others, whether solicited or not. Others seem to absorb everything negative that is said about them. Humans have a general tendency toward negativity (it's called the negativity bias). So, let me be the devil's advocate for a moment, and then I'll end it on a positive note.

You should listen to people who offer advice contrary to your plans. If that person has steered you right in the past. If that person is tied to you with bonds of love, and if that person "gets you." You don't have to take their advice, but you should listen to them.

With naysayers in general, if your personality supports it, I'd listen to them, too. In fact, I'd carry around a notepad and a pen to write down their negativity and I'd carry that negativity to Kahtadin. And when I got to the gift shop at the park, I'd buy those MF'ers a postcard saying, "you told me X... I hiked thru anyway."

Here's my happy-sappy end quote: Surround yourself with people who bring out the best in you, and strive to bring out the best in them. You'll complete a thru-hike if you have support and friendship like that. You'll be more likely to complete any task within your power, too.

Thanks for the great post!

Journal Entries
    Images

This is well spoken and very motivating when applied to all of life's journeys. I've never really given much thought to opinions or advice of others that use failure and hardship as appoligies for their failed destinations. My goal is to complete my AT hike and only I can determine my success, and sometimes that is not a point on a map, but the experiences along the trail.
    Cheers,

Spoppy

Ex Umbris Ad Lucem

Quote Originally Posted by GreatDane View Post
    ...wondering if everyone was right about how I shouldn't have even tried because I'm too [insert adjective].
    "I'm too ____. I'm not ____ enough. I don't have what it takes." When I hear these voices in my head, I know it's THE PIG talking. When I know it's THE PIG, I tune his fat ass out and get back to the business at hand.

To quote Teddy Roosevelt: "It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat."

Great article. I hiked in 2016 and just put something out there for the females considering a hike: https://medium.com/@von_trapqueen/di...410#.vpwnlbmbu

++ New Posts ++