WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default August Through hike

Hi Everyone,

what a great resource this site is.

I will be starting the LT SOBO on the afternoon of Aug 3rd and am seeking info on water. I plan on taking about 30 days to complete. I have 5 weeks of vacation and am in no hurry, I want to spend as much time on the trail as I can.

The following are the camps I plan on staying at .

Shooting Star-been here before and I understand that most likely no water here for my time frame
    Jay Camp
    Tillotsen Camp'
    Spruce Ledge
    Round Top
    Whiteface
    Taft
    Puffer
    Montclair
    Birch Glen
    Glen Ellen
    Cooley Glen
    Boyce
    Sucker Brook
    David Logan
    Inn at the Long Trail
    Gov Clement
    Minerva Hinchey
    little rock pond
    peru peak
    bromley
    stratton pond
    story spring
    goddard
    congdon
    seth warner

Most of the questions I needed answered I have found here and on you tube. However I am concerned on a few days as I have no idea how much water I will need to complete these days. Previous hikes I have muled all my water in a 3 liter bladder, I do tend to drink more water than some. I would like to reduce what I carry in water to about 1-2 liters without the bladder and am worried about running short on some of my longer days. I understand that most shelters have a water source close by.

1.I will be hiking about 12 miles from Spruce Ledge to Round Top . Is there any water between Round top and Spruce Ledge?

2.Taft to Puffer-is there any water between these two?

3.Glen Ellen to Cooley Glen-any water between these two?

4.Sucker Brook to David Logan- any water between these two?

5.Inn at the long trail to Gov Clement- any water between these two?

6.Goddard to Congdon- any water between these two?

My next questions would be subjective but what do you feel are the best and the worst shelters to stay at and why?
    If there was one "you cant miss this" on the trail what would you say that is?

Thanks

Kevin

I hiked end-to-end SOBO last August and only had issues with water when passing by Shooting Star. There are shelters between all the rest of the stops you list and they all had water last year. (Corliss Camp, Taylor Lodge, Battell, Sunrise, Cooper Lodge, and Melville Nauheim respectively) There's also just tons of water along most of the trail.

My favorite shelters were Round Top, Corliss Camp, Puffer (measly, crumbling little shelter but the view is unparalleled on a nice day), and Stratton Pond. I know I passed by a few good ones, but others will have to fill you in on those. Goddard is also very nice.

I think Boyce is still closed (structural) and I avoided Seth Warner due to rumors of rampant mice.

Here is my journal
    https://kulynychjj.wordpress.com

Shooting star has a water pump which should always work. Your hiking a ridge line and water is mostly only available at shelter sites, but you will on occasion find streams, ponds and springs along the way. If you drink excessive amounts of water, you have little choice but to carry excessive amounts of water. Leaving camp with 40 oz of water was more then enough for me during an August E2E.

Gov Clement is a poor choice, push on to Clarendon Shelter - a much nice place and location. The extra effort is minimal.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Water pump at Shooting Star was broken last year. Don't know if that is still the case.

Thanks for sharing your blog Hepatica. I enjoyed reading it and it sounded like you had an awesome hike.
    When I visited Shooting Star on Memorial day weekend this year the pump was inoperable.

Thxs for the heads up on Gov Clement Slo-go'en, ill try to avoid it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kspauld View Post
    When I visited Shooting Star on Memorial day weekend this year the pump was inoperable.
    Damn, that makes it down right inconvenient. It was getting a bit rickety when I was last there a couple of years ago. Guess you'll have to go all the way to Laural Woodward then, making for a bit longer day. Or you could stash some water at the 105 crossing the day before.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I never had problems with water on the LT in the four years that it took me to complete it. August/September tend to be the driest months though.

You're heading southbound while most folks will be northbound, so my recommendation for the most up-to-date information is just to ask hikers you pass along the way.

Have a good trip!
    Springer to Katahdin: 1991-2018

Quote Originally Posted by hepatica View Post
    I hiked end-to-end SOBO last August and only had issues with water when passing by Shooting Star. There are shelters between all the rest of the stops you list and they all had water last year. (Corliss Camp, Taylor Lodge, Battell, Sunrise, Cooper Lodge, and Melville Nauheim respectively) There's also just tons of water along most of the trail.

My favorite shelters were Round Top, Corliss Camp, Puffer (measly, crumbling little shelter but the view is unparalleled on a nice day), and Stratton Pond. I know I passed by a few good ones, but others will have to fill you in on those. Goddard is also very nice.

I think Boyce is still closed (structural) and I avoided Seth Warner due to rumors of rampant mice.

Here is my journal
    https://kulynychjj.wordpress.com
    Hey, I actually found your blog through google a day before I saw your post here, and I wanted to say thanks for all the great info, especially the details on where route-finding was tricky.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaca Fuerte View Post
    Hey, I actually found your blog through google a day before I saw your post here, and I wanted to say thanks for all the great info, especially the details on where route-finding was tricky.
    Thanks! It was a fantastic trip.

++ New Posts ++