WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Fast, Light & Free: On the Appalachian Trail

http://www.amazon.com/Fast-Light-Fre...dp/B011D52RW4/

In the summer of 2013, Matt Kirk did what no one before him had yet to accomplish: Without the support of a dedicated crew, he backpacked the entire 2,185-mile Appalachian Trail from Maine to Georgia in less than 60 days. This is his story.
    Backpacking light, feels so right.

Allow plenty of time before you start reading as you won't want to stop.

"It’s waistdeep. I tie a lanyard to my pack and unclip my straps. Crossing the channel, I feel my feet slip out from under me. My body gets carried downstream towards the void. Things happen fast. I lunge for a nearby log with my right arm. I manage to grab a hold and pull myself onto the bank just as the branch breaks free. I shine my light and watch the branch disappear into the darkness. 9:40 pm: My heart is pounding." - from Day 3: A Very Long Day

"7:10 pm: Entering the barroom of the Doyle feels like walking onto the set of an Appalachian Trail remake of Cheers . A few hikers sit at stools and lift their glasses as I join them. Vickie pours me a tall glass of Yuengling. Pat dishes up a black bean burger and fries." - from Day 29: Today is a Gift

From Day 54 - "And in 2009, I went northbound again, solo in 18 hours. There have been slower traverses too. Most recently, in the summer of 2011, I accompanied Jennifer Pharr Davis on her record-setting hike. Although we didn’t complete it in one push, our time in the Smokies was less than two days."

For more discussion on this book I direct you to Just Bill's thread...
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...Light-amp-Free

++ New Posts ++