WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Ultramarathon Runner Sets Appalachian Trail Record: How He Did It - Live Science

Ultramarathon Runner Sets Appalachian Trail Record: How He Did It
    Live Science
    An ultramarathon runner overcame an early injury, sleep deprivation and steep terrain to complete an astounding 2,189-mile (3,523 kilometers) run along the Appalachian Trail in 46 days and 8 hours, breaking the previous unofficial record by 3 hours.

More...

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

This article actually seems interesting..no matter if you like the FKT thing or not. (At least if you have nerd tendencies as I do. )
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

I keep reading in articles that he had a muscle tear or a torn quad. Aside from the fact that even the most minor of sprains is techinically a torn muscle, I don't recall him stopping of to get an MRI to confirm his "torn" muscle. I don't believe that he tore anything significant during this hike. He would not have finished if he had. This is not an attempted shot at SJ, but rather at the joke that most journalism is these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Ktaadn View Post
    I keep reading in articles that he had a muscle tear or a torn quad. Aside from the fact that even the most minor of sprains is techinically a torn muscle, I don't recall him stopping of to get an MRI to confirm his "torn" muscle. I don't believe that he tore anything significant during this hike. He would not have finished if he had. This is not an attempted shot at SJ, but rather at the joke that most journalism is these days.
    I take everything I read, and even some of what I see with a grain of salt...having free will and all, oh, and a brain.

Default Appalachian Trail Record Breaker Broke Park Rules - RunHaven - RunHaven

Live Science

Appalachian Trail Record Breaker Broke Park Rules - RunHaven
    RunHaven
    Scott Jurek, a Colorado resident, recently celebrated his record-breaking 46-day completion of the Appalachian Trail on top of the 5,268-foot summit of Mount Katahdin on Sunday. Not only had he completed a huge, daunting task, but also finished with a ...
    Ultramarathon Runner Sets Appalachian Trail Record: How He Did It - LiveScienceLive Science
    Appalachian Trail record breaker summonsed on Katahdin - WCSH6.comWCSH-TV
    Scott Jurek kept going on Appalachian Trail, even when all seemed lost - The ...The Denver Post
    Runner's World Newswire -WABI
    all 78 news articles »

More...

Default Colorado man sets Appalachian Trail record on 2189-mile run - Frederick News Post (su

Frederick News Post (subscription)

Colorado man sets Appalachian Trail record on 2189-mile run
    Frederick News Post (subscription)
    “Every individual hikes the Appalachian Trail for their own personal reason and their own personal goals. It goes along with the saying, 'Hike your own hike,'” Folgar said. “We'd like to congratulate Scott and all other thru-hikers and section hikers ...
    Appalachian Trail Record Breaker Broke Park RulesRunHaven
    Ultramarathon Runner Sets Appalachian Trail Record: How He Did ItLive Science
    Appalachian Trail record breaker summonsed on KatahdinWCSH-TV
    The Denver Post -Runner's World Newswire
    all 82 news articles »

More...

Default Ultrarunner who broke Appalachian Trail mark draws fire from park - The ... - Washing

Ultrarunner who broke Appalachian Trail mark draws fire from park - The ...
    Washington Post
    Scott Jurek, the ultrarunner who set a speed record earlier this month by completing the 2,185-mile Appalachian Trail in 46 days, broke Baxter State Park rules by celebrating a bit too much when he reached the top of Maine's Mount Katahdin. Jurek, who ...

More...

Default Ultramarathon Runner Sets Appalachian Trail Record: How He Did It - Yahoo News - Yaho

Ultramarathon Runner Sets Appalachian Trail Record: How He Did It - Yahoo News
    Yahoo News
    An ultramarathon runner overcame an early injury, sleep deprivation and steep terrain to complete an astounding 2,189-mile (3,523 kilometers) run along the Appalachian Trail in 46 days and 8 hours, breaking the previous unofficial record by 3 hours.

More...

Default Scott Jurek Received Summons for Littering, Other Violations After Appalachian ... -

Runner's World Newswire

Scott Jurek Received Summons for Littering, Other Violations After Appalachian ...
    Runner's World Newswire
    On July 12, Scott Jurek set a new Appalachian Trail speed record by covering the 2,189 miles of trail between Georgia's Springer Mountain and Maine's Mount Katahdin in 46 days, eight hours, and seven minutes. Upon finishing, Jurek celebrated the feat ...

More...

Default Record-setting Appalachian Trail hike ended with citations - Boston Globe

Boston Globe

Record-setting Appalachian Trail hike ended with citations
    Boston Globe
    July has been a big month for ultramarathoner Scott Jurek. The Colorado man, 41, completed the Appalachian Trail in record time on July 12, popped champagne upon reaching the summit of Mount Katahdin in Maine, and then was issued three citations by a ...

More...

Images

All a matter of time and a few more of these and the AT will end at Abol bridge.
    Everything is in Walking Distance

Images

Quote Originally Posted by bamboo bob View Post
    All a matter of time and a few more of these and the AT will end at Abol bridge.
    If I didnt "need" Katadin for my state highpoint list, I'd certainly end my AT hike at Abol and eschew visiting BSP and that rather mediocre (by western standards) mountain. What a complete turnoff. (But I really do look forward to hiking through the rest of the AT in Maine... this September, can't wait).

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    rather mediocre (by western standards) mountain. What a complete turnoff.
    lol.. how do you determine mountain quality? Katahdin certainly beats all other mountains on any of the national scenic trail.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    If I didnt "need" Katadin for my state highpoint list, I'd certainly end my AT hike at Abol and eschew visiting BSP and that rather mediocre (by western standards) mountain. What a complete turnoff. (But I really do look forward to hiking through the rest of the AT in Maine... this September, can't wait).
    Rob, Don't you know that size is not everything? Now stop being silly. Katahdin is a beautiful, majestic, challenging and sacred mountain. It is a worthy destination for any hiker.

“I dwell in the shadow of Katahdin — Maine’s superlative mountain . . . If the concept of wilderness can be reduced to any specific illustration, it is probably best typified by the impression of its lonely mountain, reached only by a long journey through the wilderness.”
    — Myron Avery, Mount Katahdin in Maine, 1934

My comments will most likely not be popular here.

IMO Scott Jurek had an opportunity to set a great example for other AT hikers, by demonstrating compliance with the Baxter State Park regulations on his summit of Katahdin. He failed to do that. Unfortunate.

Yeah, I get the adrenaline rush, the thrill of victory, etc. Momentary loss of judgement on the excitement of the day. But he had a golden opportunity to show the rest of the AT hiking community, that even HE would play by their rules, even under extraordinary circumstances on setting a record.

Many here will chalk this up to some kind of vindictive response from BSP officials, on a power trip. That's too bad, and IMO an immature response. The reasons they have their rules are well documented.

Baxter State Park and the ATC have many issues to settle. The great majority of AT thru hikers probably comply with their rules. There's always the 2% that decide their own pleasure and gratification should take precedence, and anyone who doesn't "get that" has a problem.

I have even more respect for Jennifer Phar Davis now.

Here's how I see it. Scott's crew did a good job helping Scott break the record but they really let him down at the end.

Supposedly, one of Scott's crew had asked a BSP ranger if it was OK to bring champagne to the summit and the ranger's reply was " Just don't let families see it". I'm having a hard time believing that ever happened especially after all the complaints the park made about hikers partying at the summit and even if the rangers did give the green light Scott's crew still should have know the rules.

I don't blame Scott one bit, I blame his crew.

Quote Originally Posted by Praha4 View Post

Many here will chalk this up to some kind of vindictive response from BSP officials, on a power trip.
    that's exactlly what it is

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chair-man View Post
    Here's how I see it. Scott's crew did a good job helping Scott break the record but they really let him down at the end.

Supposedly, one of Scott's crew had asked a BSP ranger if it was OK to bring champagne to the summit and the ranger's reply was " Just don't let families see it". I'm having a hard time believing that ever happened especially after all the complaints the park made about hikers partying at the summit and even if the rangers did give the green light Scott's crew still should have know the rules.

I don't blame Scott one bit, I blame his crew.
    I dont recall Jureks story mentioning they told the ranger they were bringing champagne to the summit to spray it an consume it there.

He told them that they 'had' champagne.

Some officers will give you a warning ticket
    Some will give a speeding ticket.
    Does everyone that speeds get a ticket, every time?
    No.
    But to get people to follow rules, there has to be tickets given some of the time, so that people know there is enforcement.

Shouldnt criticize the ones that do their job. Criticize the ones that dont.

I think BSP simply had a high profile, closely watched event, and they did what should have been done.

At least their citations arent criminal anymore. They used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    I dont recall Jureks story mentioning they told the ranger they were bringing champagne to the summit to spray it an consume it there.

He told them that they 'had' champagne.
    Really, what else would someone do with champagne?

Here's the quote from Scott's blog on how he describes what happened with champanegate.

"One friend decided to surprise me with a bottle of champagne. He asked the two park rangers at the trailhead if that was okay and was advised to keep it away from families and children. To him, that sounded like alcohol was acceptable within reason. When I reached the summit, two different park rangers watched my friend hand me the bottle to celebrate. We were not aware of any rules against alcohol and I own that- I should have been better informed. Neither of the rangers said a word about it. If they had, I would have immediately put the bottle away. No citations were issued to any of the people with alcohol and no warnings were given. It was only four hours later, after we had hiked down with all our trash and reached the parking lot, that I was surprised to be met by three more rangers who now issued me three summonses. I am certainly willing to accept responsibility for any rules that I may have broken, but I have yet to be fined."

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chair-man View Post
    Really, what else would someone do with champagne?
    Consume it more privately, as they do allow.

You cant get a ticket, until you have already broken the rule. They have no obligation to inquire of your intent and warn you of conflict with rules either.
    They might assume you , like most others, are aware of them.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 07-28-2015 at 22:57.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++