WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Thanks to the admins for grouping all these in a single thread. They'd totally take over the 'What's New' functions otherwise.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Quote Originally Posted by swisscross View Post
    I would buy it!
    Wait, don't all I have to do is walk/run the AT in record time.
    Yeah, I would buy it!
    I'd suggest you don't even need to do it in record time...as Nike says "just do it"

Default Ultra-Marathoner Hikes Appalachian Trail In Record Time - NPR

Ultra-Marathoner Hikes Appalachian Trail In Record Time
    NPR
    July 14, 2015 4:31 PM ET. Audio for this story from All Things Considered will be available at approximately 7:00 p.m. ET. Scott Jurek recently hiked the Appalachian Trail in record time. His journey through 14 states took 46 days, 8 hours and 7 ...

More...

My GF and I was hiking BSP south of KSC. We never saw him! I say Shenanigans! We did see a doe and its fawn when we walked around Daicy Pond. I suppose he could have snuck by us better than the deer did. I wonder if that was his support team we saw pull into KSC Sunday morning? There was so many people there that morning, we skedaddled.

I likee likee what I see in Jurek's two recipes he shares here, Vegan Chocolate Adzuki Bars and Lentil Mushroom Burgers: http://www.runnersworld.com/nutritio.../eat-vegan-run

The article also shares more about Jurek's background letting us know what he's about, the REAL person that he is, the connection to others and the environment he shares, and that he's not just some one dimensional mindless disconnected running machine. He amply demonstrated this on his AT FKT, in this You Tube vid https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vog3AjgzQLY, and, more importantly, in his everyday life.

Do that with Jennifer Pharr Davis, Scott Williamson, and Liz Thomas too! LOOK at the person behind the records! The records are really not what totally define them! What these high energy individuals are about is MUCH MUCH more than being FKTers. The FKTs are the result of attributes much larger than just doing things speedily! There's quality of integrity and well roundedness where they are making a MUCH MUCH bigger impact than simply being FKTers. That's what I REALLY call having a greater AWARENESS and HIGH ACHIEVING. *I hope other FKTers, FKT seekers, and outdoors folks, including the hiking community, including thru-hikers, recognize this and consider emulating! All these folks GIVE BACK - THEY CONTRIBUTE - THEY ARE CONNECTING - THEY ARE MAKING A DIFFERENCE IN MORE WAYS THAN SIMPLY BEING HIGH ACHIEVING FKTters.

What's an FKT'er? The name that acronym brings to mind is not a flattering one. But, that could just be my twisted mind.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    What's an FKT'er? The name that acronym brings to mind is not a flattering one. But, that could just be my twisted mind.
    Stands for Fastest Known Time.

There is no "official" speed record for the A.T. or most other trails since that would require a sanctioning body, an unchanging offical route, officiants, and lots of other red tape, not to mention that most trails aren't intented for this sort of thing. Because of this, all speed records are based on the honor system and the title Fastest Known Time is probably the most accurate way of describing them.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

This article is making me think that there should be a record for most weight lost while hiking a given trail, maybe we could call it FKT (fattest known time)
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Default Colorado man sets Appalachian Trail record on 2189-mile run - ESPN

Colorado man sets Appalachian Trail record on 2189-mile run
    ESPN
    MILLINOCKET, Maine -- Ultramarathoner Scott Jarek said he reached the summit of Mount Katahdin on Sunday afternoon to complete the 2,189-mile Appalachian Trail run from Georgia to Maine in record time. Jurek, a Colorado resident, said he finished the ...

More...

Default Colorado Man Sets Appalachian Trail Record on 2,189-Mile Run - Yahoo - Yahoo Travel

Yahoo Travel

Colorado Man Sets Appalachian Trail Record on 2,189-Mile Run - Yahoo
    Yahoo Travel
    PORTLAND, Maine (AP)— An ultramarathoner overcame an early injury, difficult terrain in New England and sleep deprivation on the final stretch of the Appalachian Trail to complete the trek in record time. Despite getting about 10 hours of sleep over ...
    Scott Jurek Celebrates a New Appalachian Trail Thru-Hike Speed Record ...Runner's World Newswire
    Ultramarathoner Finishes The Appalachian Trail In Record Time : The Two-Way ...NPR
    Ultramarathoner becomes fastest to finish Appalachian TrailCNN
    Daily Local News -Columbus Dispatch
    all 196 news articles »

More...

Default Colorado Man Sets Appalachian Trail Record on 2189-Mile Run - News Channel 9 - WTVC

WTVC

Colorado Man Sets Appalachian Trail Record on 2189-Mile Run - News Channel 9
    WTVC
    PORTLAND, Maine (AP) — An ultramarathoner overcame an early injury, difficult terrain in New England and sleep deprivation on the final stretch of the Appalachian Trail to complete the trek in record time. Despite getting about 10 hours of sleep over ...
    Ultramarathoner completes the Appalachian Trail in just 46 days | For The WinUSA TODAY
    Scott Jurek lost 20 pounds setting Appalachian Trail record — Outdoors ...Bangor Daily News
    Ultra-marathon Runner Rests up after Setting New Appalachian Trail Record ...Maine Public Broadcasting

all 7 news articles »

More...

I posted this in another thread, but thought I would post it here, too. BSP's take on it from their facebook page.

Ultramarathoning in Baxter Park – another perspective.Our Facebook page is a great place to celebrate the nature of Baxter State Park. On occasion, we need to use this platform for serious discussion.
    Scott Jurek's recent completion of the Appalachian Trail in the shortest time on record is a remarkable physical accomplishment. With all due respect to Mr. Jurek's ability, Baxter State Park was not the appropriate place for such an event.
    Let's be clear and concise, Scott Jurek's physical abilities were recognized by corporations engaged in running and outdoor related products. The race vehicle used to support Scott in his run, as well as Scott's headband, clearly displays these corporate sponsors. The sponsors are providing money and equipment to support Scott's run in exchange for advertisement and engagement that they expect will protect or increase their market share and improve their profits. Included in this exchange are media companies such as “The Game Changers, LLC” of Laguna Beach CA, who were hired to capture video and photographic coverage of Scott's run to enhance the opportunities for commercial benefit from his run.
    When Scott arrived at Baxter Park to complete his run at the northern terminus of the Appalachian Trail, he brought all of this to Baxter Peak, in Maine's largest wilderness.
    Mr. Jurek and the corporate sponsors were careful not to mention in the media coverage that one of the unfortunate outcomes of the celebration party at Baxter Peak at the completion of the event were the three summons issued to Mr. Jurek by a Baxter Park Ranger for the drinking of alcoholic beverages in public places (BSP Rule 7 and Maine State General Law), for littering (BSP Rule 4.5) and for hiking with an oversize group (BSP Rule 2.2). In addition, media personnel were issued a summons for violation of a commercial media permit which prohibited filming within 500' of Baxter Peak. Not much to be proud of there.
    An additional discouraging observation. The Appalachian Trail provided the challenge and backdrop for this event and consequently, provided the conduit for this event to land in Baxter Park. The profile of the AT is large enough to attract the corporate sponsorship necessary to support and carry such an event. The AT is apparently comfortable with the fit of this type of event in its mission. The formal federal designation and authority of the Appalachian Trial does not extend into Baxter State Park. The AT within the Park is hosted at the consideration of the Baxter State Park Authority. The Authority is currently considering the increasing pressures, impacts and conflicts that the Appalachian Trail brings to the Park and if a continued relationship is in the best interests of Baxter State Park.
    Thousands of people, including Mainers and others from all over the world, visit Baxter Park and hike in the Park's wilderness, including a climb to Baxter Peak. People celebrate their accomplishment, often with their families and often many times over, quietly and with appreciation for this precious gift left to us in perpetuity by Percival Baxter. These “corporate events” have no place in the Park and are incongruous with the Park's mission of resource protection, the appreciation of nature and the respect of the experience of others in the Park. We hope for the support of the AT and BSP communities to help us steer these events to more appropriate venues in the future.

This answers a lot of questions. Well done BSP.

Images

How many thread are we going to bash this incredible effort of Scott's?????

The mind boggles at how many sticks-in-the-mud are on this WB forum. Those that have never even thought about pushing themselves past their comfort zones in anything, let alone hiking. and not just the old farts (like myself), even some of the "youngsters".

I am truly saddened by this, but oh well, there is simply a completely different culture back east. It was obvious when I first stepped on the AT last year.

Scott's effort was incredible. I hope some still on here do celebrate this amazing physical feat rather than continue to pooh-poo it continuously on every thread they possibly can, including starting yet even more duplicates.

Default Appalachian Trail record breaker summonsed on Katahdin - WCSH-TV

WCSH-TV

Appalachian Trail record breaker summonsed on Katahdin
    WCSH-TV
    Mt. Katahdin, Maine (NEWS CENTER)-- The man who set a new record for speed traversing the Appalachian Trail was issued three summonses by rangers on Mt. Katahdin. After completing his 46-day run, state park rangers issued him summonses for public ...
    Scott Jurek kept going on Appalachian Trail, even when all seemed lostThe Denver Post
    Jurek sets Appalachian Trail record on 2180-mile runThe Sentinel
    Jurek's Appalachian Trail Record Is Cause for Reflection–And PreparationRunner's World Newswire
    USA TODAY -WTVC
    all 43 news articles »

More...

They got him for littering. You'd think after spending 46 days on the trail he would have got the leave no trace message.

Default Runner bests Jennifer Davis' time on Appalachian Trail - BlueRidgeNow.com

Runner bests Jennifer Davis' time on Appalachian Trail
    BlueRidgeNow.com
    In this Sunday, July 12, 2015 photo released by the Brooks Running Company, Scott Jurek, of Boulder, Colo., climbs to the summit of Mount Katahdin near Millinocket, Maine, before completing the Appalachian Trail in what he claims is record time. Jurek ...

More...

Default Appalachian Trail Record-Setter Gets Ticketed by State Park - Maine Public Broadcasti

Maine Public Broadcasting

Appalachian Trail Record-Setter Gets Ticketed by State Park
    Maine Public Broadcasting
    MILLINOCKET, Maine - The man who set a record for speed hiking the Appalachian Trail has been issued three tickets for public drinking, littering and hiking with an oversized group. Scott Jurek overcame an early injury, difficult terrain in New England ...

More...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++