WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Registered User BenOnAdventures's Avatar
    Images

Default Gear Talk: Backpacks!

Hello adventurers, I was just thinking to myself, I wonder what type of backpacks all of you will bring on the AT. So in your opinion what is the perfect model/size of backpack? Let's talk!!
    Feel free to connect with me on Twitter @BenOnAdventures

Does it have to be used only on the AT?

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Backpack reviews. Lots of them.
    http://sectionhiker.com/backpacking-...oduct-reviews/

Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

Given the varied activities and seasons, one pack is a bit limiting. I would probably bring more with me on a winter overnight snowshoeing adventure than I would on a long distance hiking adventure, requiring two different packs there. Perhaps the better question would be what packs do you have for what activities.

I'm a huge fan of my Osprey Aether 70. Before that it was my DOD issued pack. I'm 6'3" \215 lbs and can't stand little packs, but hey hyoh right?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

The perfect backpack:
    The one that fits you.
    The one that holds your stuff for the hike you are planning.
    The one that fits your budget.
    The one that is reasonably lightweight.
    The right tool for the job.
    As AT Traveler said, might take more than one.
    Happy shopping.

Wayne

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Backpack reviews. Lots of them.
    http://sectionhiker.com/backpacking-...oduct-reviews/

Wayne

Thank you for the link! Yeah I was kinda thinking for an AT thru hike what would you bring?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by AT Traveler View Post
    Given the varied activities and seasons, one pack is a bit limiting. I would probably bring more with me on a winter overnight snowshoeing adventure than I would on a long distance hiking adventure, requiring two different packs there. Perhaps the better question would be what packs do you have for what activities.
    Very true and valid points! Thanks for the response!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by CoolBobby View Post
    I'm a huge fan of my Osprey Aether 70. Before that it was my DOD issued pack. I'm 6'3" \215 lbs and can't stand little packs, but hey hyoh right?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    Yeah I personally feel like I like bigger packs as well. I'm 6'3 and 210. I have a High Sierra Long Trail 90, it's definitely roomy! lol

Images

The perfect backpack:
    The one that fits you.
    The one that holds your stuff for the hike you are planning.
    The one that fits your budget.
    The one that is reasonably lightweight.
    The right tool for the job.
    As AT Traveler said, might take more than one.
    Happy shopping.

Wayne

Thank you for the wise words of advice!

At 6'4" and 220 I don't think my body size has much to do with my pack size. I fit my backcountry winter gear and food for five days (just barely) into my Osprey Exos 48. I also us my Exos 48 for some non-winter hiking, but don't come close to filling it up unless I'm carrying more than a week of food. If you are exploring the idea of a hike along the AT, and you can't fit all your gear into a 50 L pack, you are probably carrying more than you need and more than you will want to carry once you figure out how much less you can carry and still be comfortable and safe.

I would suggest that most packs larger than 50 L are, for most experienced people, more for carrying luxury gear into great camping/fishing sights or trips longer than 10 days without resupply or mountaineering where you have lots of extra climbing gear. Hiking trails, especially well developed ones like the AT, don't require much gear to be comfortable and happy if what you are doing is hiking.

Wow. If you folks are fitting everything you need into a pack less than 50L, I obviously have much to learn...

I use a 58L for most hikes. I have a 65L I was considering for the AT. At 5'10" and 133 pounds, I don't want to go too big in pack size/weight (38 pounds right now, which I can pare to 34 without much effort).
    Planning for a North-South thru-hike to begin...one of these days...

Quote Originally Posted by nsherry61 View Post
    If you are exploring the idea of a hike along the AT, and you can't fit all your gear into a 50 L pack, you are probably carrying more than you need and more than you will want to carry once you figure out how much less you can carry and still be comfortable and safe.

I see many people saying things like this all the time (so I’m not picking on you alone nsherry61 but I always try to point out how incorrect this can be for a lot of people out there - even for the minimalist ’ultralight’ crowd.

I’m at 9.5 pounds baseweight for my gear. I use 60 liter packs (Zpacks Arc Blast 60 and Osprey Exos 58), and you know what? I can just BARELY shove my gear + 2 days worth of food (and 2 liters of water) into those packs main compartments. And I mean I’m compressing those dry bags with my down items in them until my hands hurt to get them as small as possible – and usually still have a little trouble getting the top flaps of either pack to close properly.

Sure, if I did things like strap my ~$300 TarpTent to the outside of the pack (which all those lovely sticker bushes and climbing sticker vines by me would love that or do something like strap my nice down quilt in it’s stuff sack to the bottom of my pack – then, and only then, would I have a lot more room inside the pack itself. But those are things I don’t want to do (and will only resort to putting a couple extra days worth of food in the very-delicate outside elastic mesh pocket on these packs to expand their usefulness).

One thing to also note is how packs are commonly deceptive in their sizes. 60 liter packs like I mentioned only really have ~47 liters of capacity in their main compartments. The smaller models of common packs like mine (~48-50 liter) have less than 40 liter capacity in their main compartments. So that being said, unless you’re the type of person who loves tetris - and having to figure out how to fill every single nook and cranny of their pack with the utmost efficiency, you might want to do yourself a favor and get the next size up pack and save yourself that hassle. YMMV though - plenty of people do it. I just don’t know how, or how really minimal their gear has to be to fit in a small pack like that.

Quote Originally Posted by BenOnAdventures View Post
    Thank you for the link! Yeah I was kinda thinking for an AT thru hike what would you bring?
    I'm 2" shorter and 12 pounds heavier than you are. Similar size and weight.
    What would I use for a thru hike? Good question.
    Without spending money for a new pack, I would use my Rivendell Mountain Works Jensen pack purchased in 1974 and still in production today. The volume is about 60 liters, weight is 2.5 pounds, it fits me like a second skin and has enough room for anything I need to carry. In fact I have trouble filling it up. It's bulletproof. It's paid for. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
    The Jensen holds a 2 pound 20 deg bag, 4 pound solo bombshelter, NeoAir Xtherm mattress, kitchen, 3 season clothes and room left over for several days food. One potential shortcoming: I'm not sure if I could fit a bear canister inside. I could strap one on the outside. Not the best solution, but workable for places like the Teton Crest Trail.
    http://www.rivendellmountainworks.co...s-made-in-usa/
    In the current market, a 2.5 pound pack is heavier than a few and quite a bit lighter than most packs. Did I mention that it is paid for? I would have to spend big bucks to save a few ounces. Money that I would rather spend on a lighter tent.
    Sorry for being so long winded.
    Good luck with your search.

Wayne

Correction:
    My size medium Jensen pack is 51 liters. With the external pockets it is 63 liters. That is inline with current thru hiking backpack theory. Apparently I was ahead of the times.

http://www.rivendellmountainworks.co...-packs/sizing/

Wayne

Images

I'm 2" shorter and 12 pounds heavier than you are. Similar size and weight.
    What would I use for a thru hike? Good question.
    Without spending money for a new pack, I would use my Rivendell Mountain Works Jensen pack purchased in 1974 and still in production today. The volume is about 60 liters, weight is 2.5 pounds, it fits me like a second skin and has enough room for anything I need to carry. In fact I have trouble filling it up. It's bulletproof. It's paid for. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
    The Jensen holds a 2 pound 20 deg bag, 4 pound solo bombshelter, NeoAir Xtherm mattress, kitchen, 3 season clothes and room left over for several days food. One potential shortcoming: I'm not sure if I could fit a bear canister inside. I could strap one on the outside. Not the best solution, but workable for places like the Teton Crest Trail.
    http://www.rivendellmountainworks.co...s-made-in-usa/
    In the current market, a 2.5 pound pack is heavier than a few and quite a bit lighter than most packs. Did I mention that it is paid for? I would have to spend big bucks to save a few ounces. Money that I would rather spend on a lighter tent.
    Sorry for being so long winded.
    Good luck with your search.

Wayne

It's fine!! I appreciate the longer more detailed answer! Thanks a ton!!

I have two packs. I like them both. I have my winter pack, which is the osprey atmos 65. It is a sturdier pack which carries the obviously heavier winter gear. I also use my osprey when I have a long section hike. I also have an REI Flash 62, which is basically my three seasons pack for 1-2 night hikes.

Images

I have a Mystery Ranch Trance XXX, 68 Liters and weighs 4 1/2 lbs. and a Mystery Ranch SATL, 60 Liters and over 5 lbs.
    For my Thru-Hike next year I have been looking at a ULA Circuit or ZPacks Arc Haul and have considered a Gossamer Gear Mariposa, Unaweep or Divide 4200 packs.

I use a ULA Circuit for all seasons (NOVA so winter is not like Winter in the whites)

I use a Granite Gear Crown. It is extremely comfortable, and because of the excellent compression and roll top closure, it is super versatile, handling one to seven nights without a problem.

If the Crown ever craps out on me, I might look into a ULA Ohm or a Circuit. My only issue with the Circuit is the front pocket isn't stretchy, making it kind of a pain to shove gear into when the pack is full.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++