WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Since one backpack is never enough...
    For those times when I have to haul more weight than a human being should be allowed to carry, I own a Dana Design ArcFlex Terraplane. Built in Bozeman, MT before the buyout and ruination of the Dana Design brand.

http://www.trailspace.com/gear/dana-...ex-terraplane/

http://bedrockandparadox.com/2013/10...-packs-worked/

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

With a ULA Epic, you can change the bag without changing the entire pack. I have a 35 and 65 liter bag for mine, and there are others that are available.

Images

Was going to be my faithful JanSport Klamath 75, but after I submitted it for “repairs”, they decided it couldn’t be repaired and sent me a “new” one. Features changed, not the same, load lifter strap has broken TWICE in about 6 months of 3-4 miles, 3 times per week practice hiking.

Decided to try an Osprey Volt 75 – like it SO much that I bought a second one for a back up. I’m just worried about the outside mesh pockets – will they hold up? Less space on the OUTSIDE, but seems to have about the same INSIDE as my old Klamath.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

I used an ALPS Mountaineering Orizaba for a few years. Don't laugh. I got it for maybe $60 at an REI garage sale. It held my gear and didn't carry all that badly.

The big drawback was that it had a lot of compression straps and lacings, which are nice for doing things like hanging snowshoes, ice axe, crampon bag, extra sleeping pad, etc... so this might still be my pack of choice in the winter. But for the rest of the year, I've now switched to a Granite Gear Crown VC.

I rather like the design of what Colin Fletcher called a 'bloody great sack.' Organization features (front loading zipper, sleeping bag compartment, lots of pockets, and so on) all add weight without really adding a lot of function.

About 60 litres is the right size for me for up to 4-5 day trips. (And what is a thru-hike but a series of 4-5 day trips, plus the Hundred-Mile Wilderness?) I don't like over-compressing my gear, and I carry a few luxury items. The only thing that goes in a compression sack is my sleeping bag.

I can also see making the Crown work with a bear canister, and I think I see a bear canister in my future. (I've got some destinations in mind where the law requires them.)

It sure was nice, switching to the lighter pack.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Journal Entries

I used the Gregory Z65 last year...It is a great pack...$240....I am gonna get it again this year.
    Tear Drop 2016 - This thing will NOT beat Me!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyc...rhn5dwBltHGUxw

GoLite Quest 50L (down from a 65L) weighs in at just over 2 pounds.

Like many have said before on other posts, only with experience will you discover what you truly want and need to make you happy on the trail. Then again if you are planning on thru hiking next year you need to pick something. I am a big fan of gossamer gear packs, the mariposa is 60 L. If you are a smaller person it is my opinion you may want to lighten your gear choices. I carry a base weight of 9.5 lbs and can fit it all plus a weeks worth of food at 2lb/day into my gossamer gear gorilla which is 40L. I use a 900 fill down quilt which compresses very small. With a bulkier synthetic bag I would have to move up to the mariposa. I know how much total pack weight I can carry comfortably and that is about 28 lbs. With 20 lbs I start cruising. I also really love having mesh pockets on the sides and back for easy access of water, filter, snacks, etc.. Have fun deciding!

Journal Entries

I just finished making a Ray Way pack. My pack weight for the colder months is right around 10 lbs before food, water and other consumables. I am planning on starting with this pack but I also have a mountain hardware thru way 50 that I have taken on a few overnights and it seems to work pretty well for my needs. Worst case scenario if neither of those work I have my osprey stratos 40 to fall back on which I have been hiking with for a few years.
    The Ray Way pack has no frame and no waist belt but only weighs 9.5 oz, the thru way 50 has a waist belt and a pad for a frame and weighs 2lbs, the stratos 40 has a waist belt and a decent frame and weighs 3lb.
    So far with right around 20 lbs in the Ray Way pack it feels pretty comfortable, so I have high hopes for it.

Quote Originally Posted by jbmundy87 View Post
    I just finished making a Ray Way pack. My pack weight for the colder months is right around 10 lbs before food, water and other consumables. I am planning on starting with this pack but I also have a mountain hardware thru way 50 that I have taken on a few overnights and it seems to work pretty well for my needs. Worst case scenario if neither of those work I have my osprey stratos 40 to fall back on which I have been hiking with for a few years.
    The Ray Way pack has no frame and no waist belt but only weighs 9.5 oz, the thru way 50 has a waist belt and a pad for a frame and weighs 2lbs, the stratos 40 has a waist belt and a decent frame and weighs 3lb.
    So far with right around 20 lbs in the Ray Way pack it feels pretty comfortable, so I have high hopes for it.
    I used a ray way pack for the 100 mw. I carried 9 days of food and started with a 34 lb total pack weight. It was a reasonable weight to carry but for me too much in such a pack without hip belt. Once I ate my way down to about 25 lbs I started to cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have over the course of the last 9 months purchased three different backpacks to test and compare. I'm female with a short torso and hips so I really want to get the right fit of something that will essentially become a part of me for 5-6 months. I have the Osprey Exos 48, the ULA Circuit Medium and the REI Flash (I think this is the model). All are lightweight and there is something about each of them that I like more than the others. As well, there is something about each I don't like at all. That said, each day I choose a different one to carry with 15-25 pounds of weights and/or gear for a 90 minute average hike. Right now, I'm just getting a feel for the packs before adding more weight for conditioning. Just this week I've decided against the Circuit. It's a great pack with a hip belt that can be moved up and down the pack. I thought I would love this, but it turns out it didn't make as great a difference for me as I thought. I love the material and its light weight, but it has less padding on the shoulder straps and just isn't as comfortable for me as the others. I will be selling it and deciding between the other two. Right now I'm leaning toward the Exos. The material is a little less durable -- or so it seems, I haven't truly tested it on an overnighter yet-- than the others, but the fact that air can move between your back and the pack is fantastic and it's comfortable. Last night I was tooling around with 25 pounds and it was like nothing was there. The pack has developed a squeak which is driving me nuts but I think it's because of an uneven load distribution (ie, weights). At least I'm hoping. If I can't fix the squeak, this pack may become second to the REI Flash. My thoughts on the REI pack is that it's of durable material and I like its design the best. Still, it isn't as comfortable for me to carry as the Osprey.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mahoosucnotch View Post
    I used a ray way pack for the 100 mw. I carried 9 days of food and started with a 34 lb total pack weight. It was a reasonable weight to carry but for me too much in such a pack without hip belt. Once I ate my way down to about 25 lbs I started to cruise.

That is good to hear. I am hoping that my pack never goes over 25 lbs, and is under 20 other than a day or two after a resupply. I am still planning a couple shakedown hikes to test it.

Quote Originally Posted by jbmundy87 View Post
    That is good to hear. I am hoping that my pack never goes over 25 lbs, and is under 20 other than a day or two after a resupply. I am still planning a couple shakedown hikes to test it.
    That's a good target. What kind of sleeping bag are you carrying?

Journal Entries

That's a good target. What kind of sleeping bag are you carrying?

REI Igneo for cold and kelty cosmic 40 for warm, both around 2 lbs. I was planning on just using the igneo the whole time but found the kelty at an rei garage sale for $30.

Are those down bags and if not will they compress enough to fit in your ray way pack?

The circuit was perfect for me on the AT. Starting inexperienced I had it packed with 38lbs at Neels, carried 11lb base at the end. Tried carting my Ohm instead but switched back to the circuit. Saw plenty of them on the trail and heard nothing but great reviews!

wanna be hiker trash

Great backpack review link. Thanks.

wanna be hiker trash

Backpack reviews. Lots of them.
    http://sectionhiker.com/backpacking-...oduct-reviews/

Wayne

Great link for backpack reviews, thanks Venchka.

Journal Entries
    Images

A ULA or Osprey. Last few years mines been an Osprey Altmos 65 Medium. Some would think this too large. However, I've never been one to resupply every 4 days. Often I go out for 10. Never heard anything bad about the ULA Circut. In my experience I find purchasing a pack from an experience outfitter makes a huge difference. That way one can get everything sized out with a fully loaded pack. Good outfitters will also offer experience on where to place equipment within the pack. What to do with a wet shelter etc etc. Footgear and my backpack are two things I wouldn't dream of buying over the internet or in a big box store.

Journal Entries

Are those down bags and if not will they compress enough to fit in your ray way pack?

they are both down. I can fit them and my underquilt in there with plenty of room for food and clothes.

ULA Circuit - Arcteryx Altra 65 - Osprey Hornet 40 - Gregory Contour 60
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++