WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Journal Entries

Default Internal or External frame for AT section hike?

Hi;
    I want to hike the AT from New York to Vermont in the fall (mid October start).
    I am kind of strapped for cash, so was thinking of trying an external frame pack, since they seem to run less expensive than internals.
    I am male, about 6ft tall, and weigh about 150lb. I guess you could consider me kind of "lanky", although, as an ultramarathon runner, my legs are strong.

I haven't purchased much of my gear yet - I do have an old Sierra Designs Wyatt Earp 0F sleeping bag, which weighs about 4lbs, but I don't know if I will use it.
    I don't have the tent I will be using either, but plan to go not higher than 3.5lbs total weight.
    I will be traveling solo.

Any suggestions?

Arden

So 200ish miles?
    15ish days?
    1-3 resupplies?
    35ish pounds total weight?

Grandma Gatewood did the whole hike with a small duffel bag . . . for about 10-20 lbs total weight.
    Does a trampoline style stretched fabric frame pack like an Osprey Exos count as an internal or external frame?
    It's only a couple weeks of your life. Either option will work if it fits well. Either option will suck if it doesn't fit well.
    I would argue that your pack is the last thing you want to skimp on. What's a few dollars on a pack you will hopefully use for the next decade if you buy wisely. The old classic external frame packs almost don't exist any more for good reason . . . they work, but not as well as modern packs . . . except for maybe hauling super big,heavy and/or awkward loads like for hunters hauling large loads of meat.
    Most people use internal frame packs these days because they carry well, weigh less, and are less awkward on narrower trails and/or rough terrain. The AT isn't narrow, but it can be rough in some places I hear.

Anyway. Go shopping at gear store with a good selection and knowledgeable staff. You'll be throwing your money away if you buy a bag that doesn't fit both you and your needs.

Journal Entries

JPD did her first thru hike with her brothers old external frame scout pack that was too small for her, and a mop handle for a hiking pole.

Grandma Gatewood used a laundry sack

Lots of early thru hikers used frameless ruck sacks.

the gear doesnt matter much really.

REALLY, you've been a member of this forum for 5 years and you don't own a backpack?

i started backpacking with an external frame pack that was given to me that was a little too short for me and had an unpadded 2" wide hip belt. It was rather uncomfortable so for about $30 including shipping I got an oldish Kelty Ridgeway external frame that has some adjustments for different heights and widths of person and is quite comfortable though not very light. I have used it for short backpacking trips and last year also began using it to carry a canoe overhead. I have not tried an internal frame pack yet so I can't make a comparison.
    Zach

Images

I started backpacking in the late 70's and back then internal frame packs were more expensive and only mountain climbers used them.From 1980 to 1990 I hiked a little over 4K miles with loads of 40-50 lbs as resupply was more of a problem then.After trying 3 different internal frame packs,I went back to my Camp Trails external frame pack.I do mostly cold weather hiking and it takes more space for the extra gear needed.External frame packs let you pack and carry your load a bit higher.I have some back issues and the internal frame packs I tried just made it worse.The last few trips with my external frame pack got rid of this.Also I like to set my pack down on breaks and prop it up with my single Leki hiking pole.Most internal frame packs are like an egg and just roll over when you try to do this.Anyway the fit is most important so make sure any pack you buy has some way for a little wiggle room for tweaking the fit as you hike.
    Sleep on the ground, rise with the sun and hike with the wind....

Journal Entries

I like external frames for heavier loads, really over 25 lbs or so minimum carry weight (usually on the way out) and for anything exceeding about 30 lbs at any time. I find it just distributes the load better. Once pack weight comes down jumping to a internal seems to give more freedom of movement and is lighter in itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    I like external frames for heavier loads, really over 25 lbs or so minimum carry weight (usually on the way out) and for anything exceeding about 30 lbs at any time. I find it just distributes the load better. Once pack weight comes down jumping to a internal seems to give more freedom of movement and is lighter in itself.
    +1 Own an REI Wonderland Trekker with a history similar to The Cleaner. Still carried it when load was more than 35#'s. Under 35#, I would suggest ULA Circuit and under 30# would go with the ULA Ohm or similar; along with cuben fiber choices. I am using the OHm 2.0 full time now for any overnight trip.
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by OCDave View Post
    REALLY, you've been a member of this forum for 5 years and you don't own a backpack?
    I did own a Gregory Wind River (medium size) pack until a few years ago when I sold it on Ebay. It was an excellent pack, but far too heave and large for my needs. I was always struggling with pack that weighed around 50lbs. One reason it was so heavy, is that I had purchased a two-man Mountain Hardwear NightView tent. It weighs 8lbs total.
    I don't know what I was doing when I purchased that gear, except that I thought I was going to do a lot of winter backpacking. I never did, and got more into long distance running, so I sold the big pack.

Journal Entries

The total distance for my proposed hike would be about 345 miles, if I start at the Peekskill NY train station and hike up the Camp Smith trail to Anthony's Nose where it meets the AT, and hike through to the VT/NH line. The plan is to take Amtrak home from White River Jct.
    If I want to add another 18+ miles to the trek, I can start at the southwest corner of Harriman Park, in Suffern NY. I can take a train to that point, and buy my cooking gas at Davis Sport in Sloatsburg NY, as I am not supposed to carry it on the train. If I go to Peekskill, I'm not sure where I would buy the gas.

I have to agree with you guys who recommend an internal frame, if only for the reason that the stores probably won't have any external frame packs to try on.

Quote Originally Posted by Arden View Post
    I did own a Gregory Wind River (medium size) pack until a few years ago when I sold it on Ebay. It was an excellent pack, but far too heave and large for my needs.
    I've kept my 7# Gregory Wind River (Med) so when the snow flies I can put (2) 40# salt bags in it and exerience how Tipi Walter hikes. It's only other uses are as a strap-on suitcase when flying and car camping.
    Backpacking light, feels so right.

I have to agree with you guys who recommend an internal frame, if only for the reason that the stores probably won't have any external frame packs to try on.
    Campmor has all sorts of packs to try on, and is in Northern NJ. I can't address the quality of their sales staff, but it sounds like you know enough to find what fits you.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    Campmor has all sorts of packs to try on, and is in Northern NJ. I can't address the quality of their sales staff, but it sounds like you know enough to find what fits you.
    They're the ones I trust most, and close to me. We also have Dick's Sporting, REI, and Ramsey Outdoor. There used to be an EMS store next door to Campmor (and Campmor needed to have security personnel out in their parking lot to make sure no one parked in their lot and walked to EMS), but that store is gone now. Closest one to me is Broadway at 76th st in midtown Manhattan.

I bought a Jansport Carson external frame at Dicks sporting goods in 2004 and hiked the whole trail. That said there are less external frame options now.

So yeah if money is a huge deal get over to Dicks(cheapest that I know of) and get a pack that's inexpensive and feels good whether external or internal. The hiker makes the hike, not the pack. (Though lighter packs are nicer if you can afford them of course!)

keep in mind getting enough room for your winter gear...vermont can get nippy in Nov.
    AT (LASH) '04-'14

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    Are you sure the store is still carrying external frame packs? The online store only has one adult x-ternal frame pack I believe. I got a Kelty Trekker from Campmor for $89 a few years back but even that pack is $160 now and Campmor does not carry it.
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

You can find old frame packs at yard sales and thrift stores for little money. Most will be the cheap department store type from the 70's, but still serviceable.

The real problem is the time frame of the hike. It's gonna be getting cold and stormy. Days are getting short with daylight savings kicking in the end of October. Because of that how far you can go in a day will suffer. You could very well run into snow or worse, freezing rain as you approach Vermont in November. I seriously doubt you'll make it to the Vermont/NH line. Hiking in Vermont in mid to late November is not for the faint of heart or ill prepared.

Your old 0 degree bag may no longer be up to stuff. See how much loft is left in it. If it doesn't fluff up to at least 3", it's history. Your gonna need some warm clothes, good boots and good rain gear. I'm not sure how you can pull this off not having any gear yet and being kinda strapped for cash.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Journal Entries

Well, I was kind of hoping that GLOBAL WARMING would help me out and winter wouldn't kick in until January at the earliest <vbg>.
    I do have a pair of Kolflach Degre boots and a set of 12 point crampons to fit them. I've also got an ice axe - but I doubt it would be required until reaching the Whites - which I do not intend to do. I've got lots of warm fleece. I have my 0 degree bag hanging in my closet, not stuffed in the sack, so it may have held its fluff. I'll have to be doing some shorter hikes in Sept and Oct to test out the gear I have, and what I will buy.
    I think I can save enough money to buy the better - right - pack.

I will have many options on this hike for bailing out and getting on a bus or train home.
    There is another option as well - hike south instead of north. From the west edge of Harriman Park (Harriman train station), I could hike south to VA or WV where winter shouldn't be such a problem in Nov.
    I think I'll see what the long range weather patterns look like by mid October. It's not as if I was making reservations, so I can go either north or south.
    My original plan was to go to Georgia and hike north, but I decided that it was silly to start my first section hike so far from home - to spend a total of $250 just to get to Amicalola Falls SP, when I could put better use to that money by spending it on gear and starting my hike much closer to home.

Head south from NJ. Heck, your already there.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Head south from NJ. Heck, your already there.
    From NJ, not to NJ. I would head south to Harpers Ferry.
    Actually, my plans have changed. I can now leave as early as Oct 1. That should get me to NH before the wx gets too bad. Either way, Harpers Ferry or VT/NH line - there's a train that will take me back home.

Hi;
    I want to hike the AT from New York to Vermont in the fall (mid October start).
    I am kind of strapped for cash, so was thinking of trying an external frame pack, since they seem to run less expensive than internals.
    I am male, about 6ft tall, and weigh about 150lb. I guess you could consider me kind of "lanky", although, as an ultramarathon runner, my legs are strong.

I haven't purchased much of my gear yet - I do have an old Sierra Designs Wyatt Earp 0F sleeping bag, which weighs about 4lbs, but I don't know if I will use it.
    I don't have the tent I will be using either, but plan to go not higher than 3.5lbs total weight.
    I will be traveling solo.

Any suggestions?

Arden
    If you are still looking for a pack, I have a frameless Six Moon Designs pack with a thermarest z-lite support that would fit your needs perfectly. From my experience with the external frame packs, they aren't worth the weight penalty, especially if you get your gear down to 35lbs or less.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
    "Truth is anything you can convince someone else to believe" - Me

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++