WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

it doesn't get dark here until almost 10:00 pm

Kinda cool isn't it. Super long daylight hrs. Took me some time adjusting to this.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Default Thank you and let's go hiking.

Made it into Lincoln yesterday and am going to take a couple of days off. My box wasn't at Benchmark so I had to detour into Augusta.

So far, so good. The CDT definitely requires your full attention at all times. The trail just disappears at times and Unmarked junctions are frequent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images

Safe and happy travels to you, 10-K. Thanks for sharing your experience.
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

You are really tearing up the trail. Glad you made it through one of the longest, lonesome sections just fine.
    Sorry to hear about the missing box. Going in to Augusta as an option doesn't get much mention. How much time did that take? Was resupply sufficient? Or was your box waiting at the post Post Office? I'm taking notes.
    Enjoy Lincoln. All the best to you!

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Made it to Butte today. So far, so good. Gear choices have been good. I was sorely tempted to take the Anaconda Cutoff today but decided to take the time to hike around Butte instead of doing a long road walk.

I'm going to spend 3 days here slackpacking 75ish miles and a zero and am looking forward to it. The longest I've went without seeing another human is 3.5 days. Probably seen 4-5 other hikers since leaving Glacier.

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    ...Going in to Augusta as an option doesn't get much mention. How much time did that take? Was resupply sufficient? Or was your box waiting at the post Post Office? I'm taking notes.
    Enjoy Lincoln. All the best to you!

Wayne
    Yup went into Augusta Montana even though my box was at Benchmark, but no one was home, on a CDT Sobo thru. Why? Why not? I had never been there. I approach my LD hikes as not only being about hiking! I have better overall more well rounded life experiences and foster deeper connections as a result. Besides, I was soaked through after several days of non stop heavy rain anyhow.

I got real lucky that a PU going into town picked me up after only 15 mins thumbing a ride that took me right into the small sleepy ranching town of Augusta, a real heartland of America type town replete with faded wooden clapboard siding on store fronts in serious need of a painting twenty five yrs previous, general store, rodeo grounds, old time tavern, etc. I have a picture somewhere of a fading gas station sign on Main St that still read 49 cts per gallon. A true heartland of America rancher and real life cowboy with a farmer's/rancher's deep tan and thick leathery weathered skin with a grip that nearly broke the bones in my hand when we shook, him sizing me up, drove the old trusty PU. I never let on though about his grip. I bought him a Coors even though he really really didn't want me to pay for it. He never judged me harshly even after revealing I was a vegetarian and from Naw Jarseee. Turned some heads in the bar though. Several at the bar were skeptical maybe assuming I was a bum, drifter, or druggie hippie. But I told them what I do - hike long distances usually after careful planning and saving up enough money leaving someone responsible to supervise my business, home, etc when away. They pointedly, and with obvious disapproval of such folks, asked if I was on the Gov't welfare payrolls. "Heck no, I've been working outdoors doing landscaping and construction since I'm 13 yrs old" was my reply. They all showed inquisitiveness and dropped their defensiveness after that asking many questions about my gear but the men always continuing to further size me up with their vise grip like handshakes. But again, seeing my own rancher's tan and obviously weathered scarred hands they knew I had also done some hard outdoors work.

A cop, I think the people in the bar referred to him as a constable, was very friendly showing me where I could shower and camp legally after me taking the perogative of introducing myself, explaining what I was doing in Montana, and that I came into town for some resupplies, dry out, and see the town. He was good natured and quietly chuckled when I said I came to see the sleepy small town. He walked with me to the General Store(could rather easily resupply there). I've found taking this approach towards authorities when going into town on hikes has virtually universally resulted in them being helpful and accommodating! Lesson to be learned for all you hikers that have issues with LEOs! It's also my contention that acting in such a way constructively contributes to positive relationships with trail users and societies/towns and the population as a whole!

At the General Store, bought some chow for the night, and the constable and myself shared who I was, what I was doing - hiking to Mexico some 3000 miles, - which always WOWS people eliciting some door opening bridge building inquiries, and that I was seeking a ride back to the trailhead in the morning. The ride into town was something like 30 miles. In the morning after getting some coffee at the General Store the cashier/owner knew someone heading to near the TH. She got a ride for me to the TH. I sincerely thanked, even hugged the cashier. She said she would hold hiker boxes if they asked and inquired as what hikers like myself ate on trail. The ride offered to buy me b-fast(I let her, a tasty eggs/potato sandwich on a roll) and HAD TO insisting upon it that she give me some of her own camping food. On the drive out of town we passed the constable in his cruiser him noticing me. He warmly waved stopping to briefly greet us telling me to stop back in Augusta Montana again if I'm ever in the area, suggesting I come back for the rodeo, and wished me Godspeed for the remainder of my journey.

Thru-hiking is NOT just about hiking. Have YOU considered the impression of the trail community you project? Have YOU considered what people would say about you as a hiker and person? How would you prefer the trail community and yourself be known? Your behavior matters.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    Made it to Butte today. So far, so good. Gear choices have been good. I was sorely tempted to take the Anaconda Cutoff today but decided to take the time to hike around Butte instead of doing a long road walk.

I'm going to spend 3 days here slackpacking 75ish miles and a zero and am looking forward to it. The longest I've went without seeing another human is 3.5 days. Probably seen 4-5 other hikers since leaving Glacier.
    One of the reasons I take longer than some thru-hikers to "get er done" is I'm one of those crazies that actually like to explore FURTHER/CREATE on hikes seeking adventure by embracing greater unknowns and being imaginative rather than more simply "gettin er done, gettin da patch/rocker/label/picture at a terminus/diploma/adding trail acronyms to a trail resume/whatever."

On a CDT SOBO thru I took three routes in the Butte/Anaconda area - the circuituitous Butte route, Anaconda Cut Off, and another self designed route by combining elements of both those routes with some of my own ideas while also borrowing other CDTers alternates as shown on Leys CDT mapset. It took me a much longer time to eventually get into Yellowstone NP than needed be! NO REGRETS! The Butte route, the somewhat "official" CDT route, was my second favorite. Nothing wrong with it other than it is longer than the Anaconda Cut Off. I preferred it over the Anaconda Cut Off which IMO should only be considered IF the Butte Route is somehow impassable or closed or there is a very real timing issue ie; NOT an imaginary issue simply being a way to undercut/shorten the trail.

What I find wonderful about Ley's CDT mapset and so appreciate is his ongoing significant efforts to include MANY alternates and suggestions for additional potential alternates. Way to go Ley, Thanks! I so appreciate a mapset that does NOT specifically have a line drawn on it saying the route or the trail goes here. Skurka did that too on his Hayduke and Sierra High Route mapsets. Nicely done Andrew! TU.

One of the most wonderful aspects of the CDT are route options. Many of them in fact. And others are still being created. I hope that NEVER changes. Way way too many hikers lacking trail creativity with limited adventurous spirit and little willingness to really push their comfort zones further are hiking by the blazes, the numbers, the trail guides, as others have hiked, and ridgidly where the lines are drawn these days. Seems the cookie cutter complacent LD hiker contingency has ballooned.

10K- How is your shelter choice holding up? If I remember correctly, you took a 2 person (maybe 1.5) Cuban Tarp and Bivy with you?

Thanks Dogwood. You confirmed my suppositions about Augusta, MT being a viable alternative to the Benchmark Ranch mail resupply. As a confirmed devote of Small Town, America I felt that Augusta would be a great town to visit the minute I saw the street photos on Google Maps. If/when I am ever in a position to tackle a chunk of the CDT I will contact the General Store for permission to have a box sent there. Naturally, I will also buy whatever I can from the good folks in Augusta.

10-K: Keep on truckin.

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++