WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Severe Peanut Allergy and tree nuts

I have a severe peanut allergy and looking at doing the trail next year and would love to see what people recommend I look into for food since I can't get my protein from nuts.

Are you saying you're allergic to nuts, because you're allergic to peanuts? The peanut is not an actual NUT, rather it's actually a legume, i.e. like a bean.

I've heard a lot about peanut allergies and I never thought about it, but that doesn't mean you're allergic to nuts, right? Seems like if anything you're chances would be higher to be allergic to some other type legume or bean.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedaling Fool View Post
    Are you saying you're allergic to nuts, because you're allergic to peanuts? The peanut is not an actual NUT, rather it's actually a legume, i.e. like a bean.

I've heard a lot about peanut allergies and I never thought about it, but that doesn't mean you're allergic to nuts, right? Seems like if anything you're chances would be higher to be allergic to some other type legume or bean.
    Nevermind, I guess you do have to worry about tree nuts http://kidshealth.org/teen/food_fitn...t_allergy.html

I am severely allergic to Peanuts and have to carry and Epipen and allergic to tree nuts but not severely.

I have a severe cashew and pistachio allergy. Snack-wise, you could do sunflower seeds/dried fruit/granola/jerky. For meals, quinoa or black bean dishes are great options that have protein.

Walnuts I'm allergic to, pecans not so much, go figur.

What's the difference between beer nuts and deer nuts?

Sesame treats are awesome! Grew up eatin' them damn things, love em!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post

What's the difference between beer nuts and deer nuts?
    Beer nuts are a buck twenty-five ...Deer nuts are under a buck :-)
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Check out http://Candicefoods.com, they make nut free energy bars that actually taste good.

Expensive as hell, but another protein bar option can be found at http://bricksbars.com though at what point do you just pack some jerky?

And if you have a nut allergy I assume you are familiar with Sun Butter, stuff is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnybgood View Post
    Beer nuts are a buck twenty-five ...Deer nuts are under a buck :-)
    Winner winner chicken dinner.

I have a peanut allergy also and I thru hiked in 2013, only thing it meant for me was I couldn't eat the Snickers or Reeses that were in the trail magic! Food wise I ate plenty of quinoa, couscous, oatmeal and, of course stuffing my face in town!
    Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time -- Steven Wright

My husband doesn't eat any kind of nuts (not allergic, just hates them). Protein was in cheese, sausage, spam, tuna, salmon, chicken, milk, and deli meats. If you're vegetarian or vegan, then it's harder. Snacks are usually nutless GORP (raisins, craisins and chocolate or butterscotch or M&Ms), dried fruit, chocolate bars, granola bars.

Due to allergies in the Pre-school where my daughter teaches, they use Sunbutter, though she says a lot of kids are not thrilled by it. Maybe you can see if they have a single size ample you can try

Sun Butter is great. I doubt, in a blind taste test, the majority of people could tell the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Walker View Post
    Snacks are usually nutless GORP (raisins, craisins and chocolate or butterscotch or M&Ms), dried fruit, chocolate bars, granola bars.
    So in other words, GOR?

How about pumpkin seeds, and lentils have the same amount of protein as peanut butter. also greek style yogurt has the same amount for weight you will need to find it freeze dried which is not easy.

Check out this place. My son is severely allergic to nuts/tree nuts as well.

http://www.mygerbs.com/

Journal Entries

You just have to avoid nuts, and things made in facilities that handle nuts (many candy bars, etc)

You can eat everything else . Oatmeal, poptarts, breakfast pastries, many cookies and crackers, cereal, nido, jerky, tortillas, tuna, humus, refried beans, soup mixes, beef sticks, cheese, pasta dinners, little debbie snacks, chocolate, dried fruit, precooked bacon, etc

Im not a big fan of the sun butter, but some scouts liked it in our crew at philmont, my son was one.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 09-29-2015 at 07:51.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Im not a big fan of the sun butter, but some scouts liked it in our crew at philmont, my son was one.
    I prefer Wowbutter to Sun butter, but my son won't eat either since it is too much like peanut butter. But sunbutter has small serving packs and wowbutter is jars only so you have to repack. If I go without the family it's all about the MRE peanut butter, just for old times.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++