WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Stealth camping Franconia Notch SP region

I'm a Leave-No-Trace camper and am looking to spend a primitive night on either the Lafayett-Lincoln-Haystack loop or the Liberty-Flume loop. Are there any legal sites along the way as I have no interest in Greenleaf Hut or Lafayette Park. My understanding is 200 feet from river or trail is ok in NH below tree line. I have encountered several trails where exiting the trail was absolutely impossible unless you are smaller than a beagle, due to the thicket of small dense trees and thick wet moss. Any great ideas for mid July?

no great ideas. The Whites are not a good place for stealth camping (rough terrain, thick brush, very crowded).

Don't even think about it.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I though it was legal to camp somewhere in the section between flume and liberty? Can someone confirm?

Quote Originally Posted by eblanche View Post
    I though it was legal to camp somewhere in the section between flume and liberty? Can someone confirm?
    Yea, at the Liberty Springs tent platforms. Otherwise your either above tree line or on impossibly steep and rocky terrain or too close to the road or a developed site (ie Liberty Springs tent platforms).
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Journal Entries
    Images

There are almost certainly some possible spots that do not violate any of the Supervisor's Orders, but having not been up there in a while I can't give you any specific advise. My understanding is that some of these sites have been signed as no camping areas even in the absence of any Supervisor's Order. That is a topic for another day-- but what are you going to do?

Remember, the blanket 200' prohibition against camping near trail is not absolute in the WMNF . That rule (generally speaking) applies only in Wilderness Areas and along specifically cited trails. Unforunatley for you, the trail to Liberty Springs is on of them.

Peakbagger would have real knowledge on all this-- if he cared to share it.

Journal Entries
    Images

Here is a map that might help.

Oher restrictions not shown on map include the prohibitions against camping above tree line, camping within 200' of a trail within a Wilderness Area (not sure this really applies), and camping within 1/4 mile of Liberty Springs Tentsite.

Then there are those areas that have been signed as no camping areas, even in the absence of any Supervisors Order. The legal foundation of those signs notwithstanding, LNT and common sense suggest it's not a good idea to ignore them. Others would know more about where they are located and to what extent they restrict what limited options existed in the first place.

Anyway, here is an official map:

image.jpg

Images

Thanks all! That was a great trip! Went up Falling water trial on a Friday and Haystack was warm sunny and beautiful at summit. Quick hop to Liberty Springs tent site. It was overfull so we found an overflow spot since there was no caretaker. He showed up the next morning and was supportive of our spot. It was better than the tent spots. We hung hammocks in a clearly defined spot just beyond the bear boxes. We climbed to the summit of Liberty at sunset and returned with headlamps. Couldn't be better. Storms through the night and in am for the full effect. My very narrow asymmetric tarp kept me totally dry. Wouldn't change a thing!

Tons of stealth spots in the Whites on the AT, except for Mispah to Madison hut (above treeline). Looks like you're not on the AT though...

++ New Posts ++