WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Starting at Whitney in Sept, good/bad idea?

Hello all!
    We are planning on starting the JMT mid september from Whitney. But we are still in the planning process. I have heard that this is not necessarily a good idea, but I still haven't found out why? Is it because of the increase in elevation? We are both rangers in Rocky Mountain National Park, so we will be acclimated and in shape to do so. We were planning on starting at the higher elevations and working our way down because of the potential for bad weather. Good idea or bad idea?

Is this permit harder to get than the others? Are we too late to get permits for mid september? If anybody could lend a couple of words of advise it would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I would suggest joining the Yahoo JMT Group to get much more feedback.

I think that the issue with mid-September is that the chances of accumulating snow increase as the month goes on. At the same time, permits are much easier to get at that time of year with the exception of permits to start at Whitney Portal which are likely to still be booked solid. However, it is easy to get a permit starting at Horseshoe Meadows going over Cottonwood Pass to the PCT and then connecting to the JMT at Crabtree Meadows. From there you can day hike Whitney and proceed northbound. I found the Cottonwood Pass entry quite easy last month and the trail between Cottonwood Pass and Crabtree is very nice, with a good camping location at Rock Creek at around 9500 feet to help with acclimating.

Here is the link you will need to reserve a permit from the Inyo National Forest:

http://www.recreation.gov/permits/In...O&parkId=72203

For permit type, select "Overnight Visiting Whitney". Select Cottonwood Pass as the trail. I see availability wide open from September 1 to 15. Apparently after September 15 the trailhead goes non-quota meaning that you still need a permit but can pick one up at a ranger station without being concerned about quotas (That's how I interpret the information on the site - call to confirm).

Lots of people love the high sierra in September. I finished my JMT sobo thru hike on September 14 2013. It got cold toward the end but weather was, for the most part, just perfect.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

Images

Quote Originally Posted by JoshandEm View Post
    Hello all!
    We are planning on starting the JMT mid september from Whitney. But we are still in the planning process. I have heard that this is not necessarily a good idea, but I still haven't found out why? Is it because of the increase in elevation? We are both rangers in Rocky Mountain National Park, so we will be acclimated and in shape to do so. We were planning on starting at the higher elevations and working our way down because of the potential for bad weather. Good idea or bad idea?

Is this permit harder to get than the others? Are we too late to get permits for mid september? If anybody could lend a couple of words of advise it would be appreciated.

Thanks!
    Exactly what we did, started a NOBO mid-September, I couldn't possibly recommend it any higher, Especially for Coloradans who are acclimated. Stellar weather the entire way, easy-peasy permits, uncrowded until you get to Yosemite. No absolute guarantees, but snow should not be any problem. I plan on doing this again next September. Last time I looked, maybe a couple weeks ago, there were still permits available.

Colorado_Rob, what did you do for resupplies? I've heard that some of the re supply locations may be closed that late in the season?

Images

We resupplied at Kearsarge Pass (arranged with some outfitter by another party member, I don't know the details, but I could find out) and at Red's meadow. Red's was still open. Don't know about the other places, sorry, but two resupplies was all we needed.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Exactly what we did, started a NOBO mid-September, I couldn't possibly recommend it any higher, Especially for Coloradans who are acclimated. Stellar weather the entire way, easy-peasy permits, uncrowded until you get to Yosemite. No absolute guarantees, but snow should not be any problem. I plan on doing this again next September. Last time I looked, maybe a couple weeks ago, there were still permits available.
    where did yall start from? Travel schedule? What airport etc?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    where did yall start from? Travel schedule? What airport etc?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Flew into Vegas, drove rental car through Death Valley NP (cool few-hour stop there) to Lone Pine, took shuttle to Whitney Portal trailhead. Easy-peasy. At end of trail in Yosemite, took YARTs bus to Merced, train/bus combo to Sacramento, flew home to Denver. Easy thru-hike logistics.

Don't look at it as good or bad. JMT NOBOers with mid Sept starts who inform themselves of the potential pros and cons of that season and itinerary and how they play into their individual situations while appropriately addressing/preparing should do fine.

I've now done two JMT NOBOs and two SOBOS and several other Sierra's hikes that included 140+ mile stretches of the JMT both SOBO and NOBO. On the JMT NOBO thrus I did exactly as Rob said on one of them. Came up from Whitney Portal(WP) resupplying at Kearsarge Pass. Planning your first resupply early helps cut down on the food wt you have to haul to the Mt Whitney summit/Trail Crest from WP TH/Parking at the very start of the thru-hike. Hauling a heavy load and ascending 6100 ft at the get go is one of the typically perceived cons of a JMT NOBO.... a heavy pack with a very significant 6100 ft+ ascent on Day 1 on often BUSY trail. If you're in shape and acclimate/acclimated though starting out with a lighter wt kit/lighter load when the trail up to Trail Crest is less crowded(weekdays, etc, you know it's the same busy periods at RM NP)it does not have to be that big a deal. For RM NP Rangers coming from CO somewhat acclimated hauling lighter wt kits/loads accustomed to the CO outdoors you should be in your element.

Getting JMT NOBO ThruHiking permits are IMO less competitive to obtain than the typical JMT SOBO permits starting in Yosemite Valley at the Happy Isles TH. Heck, you're NP Rangers. That has to count for something in obtaining JMT permits anyhow.

This is great! Thanks!!

It looks like there isn't a close and affordable resupply until I get to Vermillion Valley (mile 136). MTR is closed that late in the season. Other than a horse pack in at Kearsarge, or a hitch/shuttle to Mt Williamson Motel (mile 41) are there any other options? I feel like a resupply that early isn't necessary. But if the next one isn't until VVR (mile 136) then I guess I have no other option. Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post

I think that the issue with mid-September is that the chances of accumulating snow increase as the month goes on. At the same time, permits are much easier to get at that time of year with the exception of permits to start at Whitney Portal which are likely to still be booked solid. However, it is easy to get a permit starting at Horseshoe Meadows going over Cottonwood Pass to the PCT and then connecting to the JMT at Crabtree Meadows. From there you can day hike Whitney and proceed northbound. I found the Cottonwood Pass entry quite easy last month and the trail between Cottonwood Pass and Crabtree is very nice, with a good camping location at Rock Creek at around 9500 feet to help with acclimating.

Here is the link you will need to reserve a permit from the Inyo National Forest:

For permit type, select "Overnight Visiting Whitney". Select Cottonwood Pass as the trail. I see availability wide open from September 1 to 15. Apparently after September 15 the trailhead goes non-quota meaning that you still need a permit but can pick one up at a ranger station without being concerned about quotas (That's how I interpret the information on the site - call to confirm).

Lots of people love the high sierra in September. I finished my JMT sobo thru hike on September 14 2013. It got cold toward the end but weather was, for the most part, just perfect.
    Thanks! The permits look pretty wide open for our date range to start at Cottonwood Pass. What would my permit process be for the northern sections of the trail in Yosemite and Sequoia?

Thanks! The permits look pretty wide open for our date range to start at Cottonwood Pass. What would my permit process be for the northern sections of the trail in Yosemite and Sequoia?
    One permit is all you need as long as you specify the exit as Happy Isles. If you want to do Half Dome (not on the JMT but a short side trip) you may need a permit. Yosemite wilderness office should know about how they handle NOBO JMT thru hikers wanting to do half dome.

This is great! Thanks!!

It looks like there isn't a close and affordable resupply until I get to Vermillion Valley (mile 136). MTR is closed that late in the season. Other than a horse pack in at Kearsarge, or a hitch/shuttle to Mt Williamson Motel (mile 41) are there any other options? I feel like a resupply that early isn't necessary. But if the next one isn't until VVR (mile 136) then I guess I have no other option. Thoughts?
    I stayed at the Mt Williamson motel earlier this year and recommend it. it's a nice stop and will let you start out really light which will be helpful. It is also much cheaper than hiring a packer to bring in supplies.

Images

This is great! Thanks!!

As already mentioned, this early resupply worked great for starting out nice and light with 3 days of food, stock up up with 7-8 days at Kearsarge, then only once more, I think it was 5 days of food at Red's Meadow for the finish. That was a 120 mile/8-day stretch from Kearsarge to Reds, looks like VVR would be better for some folks (we walked right by, didn't even think about it), but from VVR to finish is only 80+ miles or so, should only be 5-6 days, unless you want to also resupply at Reds. Reds does close on September 30th though.... We started our NOBO on Sept. 14th, hit reds about 11 days later.

This is great! Thanks!!

JMT thru-hiking resupply options have been offered and discussed in great detail. Do some "JMT supply" searches. Peruse a JMT book. It's all there. No need to rehash what's already been discussed. Not all hikes have super abundant or regular on trail or very near resupply points so my advice is DO NOT assume that hikes and logistics will always be satisfactorily achieved under such conditions. My advice is have some sense of adventure with a willingness to be flexible and possibly enjoy a greater amount of iconic Sierras scenery.

You very well may be able to have a resupply box left for you at the Kearsarge Pass in a metal Bear Box. Check out the eastern Sierra's pack services/stations for this service. http://www.highsierrapackstations.com http://www.highsierrapackstation.net http://www.owensvalleyhistory.com/pa...page54.htmlIMO, it's a scenic hike out and back for a resupply at this TH.

VVR is usually open into early Oct but it depends on final weather. Resupply basically on trail is at the tuolmne Meadows Store too but they close down usually on Sept 26-27. Obviously, resupply options are related to dates still available, how many MPD your party is averaging, and how much food wt you're willing to carry at a time.

I like Rob's resupply itinerary given what the OP's have shared.

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post

I'm on recreation.gov to purchase my permits. When I'm entering the date range, do I put my exit date as the day I'm exiting in Yosemite? Or exiting Inyo? Recreation.gov is asking for my entire itinerary for the 21 days, but I'm not sure where I'll be staying every night.
    THanks,

You would enter the exit date in Yosemite at Happy Isles. The nightly locations are estimates. I've never heard of anyone being held to a specific itinerary.

++ New Posts ++