WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Registered User BenOnAdventures's Avatar
    Images

Default Gear List Talk! How are you organizing everything?

Hey adventurers, what are you using for your lists? Paper? Excel? Word? What's your best method? Thanks and everyone have an awesome 4th of July weekend!!
    Feel free to connect with me on Twitter @BenOnAdventures

currently keeping weight of things in a note on my phone so i always have access to it and i keep the price of everything and the item i bought on a slip of paper, course this is an easier system since i only have very few items

Journal Entries
    Images

I used Geargrams..Its already setup and a good program..They just updated..It easy to add and subtract and goes from grams to pounds..
    My love for life is quit simple .i get uo in the moring and then i go to bed at night. What I do inbween is to occupy my time. Cary Grant

Lighterpack.com is a very good site as well.

Images

MS Excel, if interested will send extensive gear list (UL, LT. WT., JMT). with weight and cost. Send PM with email.

Images

3-5 notepad and pencil. i take it with me. no need to recharge
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Gear list is in my head. Nothing on paper. What's excel?? Inquiring minds etc etc.

Everything comes together when you lay out your gear and pack up this gear. Everything has its place in the pack. It helps to have a room dedicated to gear and so everything is found. In 15 years and 165 backpacking trips I have forgotten:

** My pack cover once.
    ** My toothpaste once.
    ** My toothbrush once (bought one at a store on the drive out).
    ** My small gerber penknife once.

Don't need no stinking spreadsheet though

Images

did you ever leave the kitchen sink home?
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    did you ever leave the kitchen sink home?

WHY DO YOU ASK??

I'm a big fan of the book "Checklist Manifesto" http://www.amazon.com/The-Checklist-.../dp/0312430000

I apply checklists to every aspect of my personal and professional life. Even pilots with 40 years of experience use checklists to ensure that the plane is ready for takeoff. Similarly, I feel like regardless of how much experience I eventually get (and my current experience level is still pretty limited), I will always use checklists for gear.

I'll provide a trivial example of what can go wrong without a checklist. Yesterday, I received my new ULA CDT pack. I can't go on a trip right now but I did have time to load it up for a brief walk. I loaded it with the actual gear I thought that I would likely take on a summer trip this time of year. Loaded it up and walked around a bit. Only when I was unpacking all the gear to put back in my gear closet did I realize that I forgot to pack one kind of important piece of gear: my shelter. Now maybe on a real trip I'd be more mentally aware but I know that with my checklist I'd never forget.

Forgetting the shelter would be a real downer. Forgetting tent poles would suck. Forgetting a spoon ain't good. Forgetting the bic lighter and yet having 44 ozs of white gas and cookable food would also reek. Improvise? No thanks. Carry 3 mini bics in different places. Have a hidden cache on your route from previous trips with spare tent stakes and spoons etc.

Can I start a fire with a twirling stick in my hands? Not really but I could try. Far easier to carry a couple light bics. Basically it's a flint and steel with some gas thrown in.

Journal Entries
    Images

Do it all in my head. Almost always have more than I actually needed. Never going to be a gram counter, not my style.

Quote Originally Posted by lemon b View Post
    Do it all in my head. Almost always have more than I actually needed. Never going to be a gram counter, not my style.
    Do people actually weigh their crap? Never occurred to me.

Pen & paper for me. Write things down as i need to. I don't exactly "count ounces" as much as just be mindful about weight. Would i carry my 7 pound twnt with me? Of course not. I left forgot my toothbrush & on my last trip to hike the approach trail & some of the Smokies, left my awol guide. But no harm, no foul.

Www.Lighterpack.com

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed that is the only thing that ever has."
    - Margaret Mead, Anthropologist

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

For simple spread sheets and easy access from my Android phone, I've been using Google Drive (for storage) and Google Sheets (works in concert with Google Drive). It's basically a browser based spread sheet so that you can access your data from anywhere on the internet. Not as fancy as Excel, but good enough (and cheap... free).

Quote Originally Posted by soumodeler View Post
    Lighterpack.com is a very good site as well.
    +1 for Lighterpack.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    Gear list is in my head. Nothing on paper. What's excel?? Inquiring minds etc etc.

Everything comes together when you lay out your gear and pack up this gear. Everything has its place in the pack. It helps to have a room dedicated to gear and so everything is found. In 15 years and 165 backpacking trips I have forgotten:

** My pack cover once.
    ** My toothpaste once.
    ** My toothbrush once (bought one at a store on the drive out).
    ** My small gerber penknife once.

Don't need no stinking spreadsheet though
    I am surprised you don't use charcoal on a showel
    I use geargrams. I am a weenie.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

I don't weigh my crap. I do weigh my TP though.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

i weighed my crap a few years ago, and then came to the conclusion...this is the gear I have, it's all I have, and it weighs what it weighs so suck it up sunshine or buy all new stuff, and that just ain't happenn'

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++