WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Entries
    Images

Default July 4th - who is hiking the AT this weekend?

Just curious who is going out this weekend and what sections would you do?
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Journal Entries

Definitely will be out there! Maybe the Hogpen Gap area in Georgia- not 100% sure yet. I just realized today that I'm off Friday, so trying to figure out how to squeeze in the extra day.

I need a hiking partner WOO. Meet me in Norwich on Friday for a 3 day shakedown hike to the Maine Junction.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Going the 6th to the 12th...southern PA...the holiday weekend belongs to the grandkids!!

Thinking about a quick two day hike south of Harpers Ferry to test out my new ULA CDT if it arrives in time.

I will be in the White Mountains doing parts of the AT for a second maybe 3rd time in some cases :-)

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by BirdBrain View Post
    I need a hiking partner WOO. Meet me in Norwich on Friday for a 3 day shakedown hike to the Maine Junction.

That's an awesome offer 8 hours one way.... hmm I gave that a try... and ended up on a overnight on a camp ground tuckered. Bit far for a 2 day. PM lets talk I have to take off 2 weeks this year. OK maybe one week in Maine... or the Whites.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by dink View Post
    Going the 6th to the 12th...southern PA...the holiday weekend belongs to the grandkids!!
    Good for you Dink... Have a great time!

Woo

Images

I'm thinking about heading out this weekend, here in Ct. Not sure I can arrange a ride to a trailhead so I may just head up to Kent and find a place to park my vehicle for a few days and just head south for a day or two and then turn around and hike back to my vehicle.

Journal Entries

Original plan was a dayhike to a waterfall in the Smokies. But with the current forecast being on the cool side, we might aim for an uphill climb instead.

Day hike in NJ somewhere.

Either on AT in PA or Horse Shoe trail.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Good for you Dink... Have a great time!
    I will finish the 60 mile hike on my 60th birthday...couldn't think of anything better for present to myself!!!

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dink View Post
    I will finish the 60 mile hike on my 60th birthday...couldn't think of anything better for present to myself!!!
    I can't either, that's great! Enjoy it!

Journal Entries

Finally decided, I'll be somewhere between Dicks Creek Gap and Standing Indian Mtn all weekend. Say hi. Everyone enjoy!

Images

My brother agreed to drop me off and pick me up when I'm ready so I'll be starting at the northern end of New York and heading north on the A.T. through Connecticut.

Images

I did hike on the AT this July 4th weekend in the Smokies. Three days in the rain. Hiked up side trails from Cades Cove Campground on Friday to Spence Field Shelter on the AT. A 3,000 climb over 5 miles or so. Then Saturday hiked about 12 miles or so, up and down and up and down, to Silers Bald Shelter, one I stayed in on my '05 thru-hike of the GSMNP. Then Sunday a short 5 miles or so up to Clingmans Dome and out to our car, also in the rain. Met some great folks, including Maury, a Ridgerunner and '08 AT thru-hiker, at Derrick Knob Shelter on my lunch break. And a Ranger at Silers Bald Shelter, checking permits. A super nice guy.

Ridgerunner Maury took down the "Closed to Bear Activity" sign at Derrick Knob Shelter and put up a "Warning - Bears" poster in its place. Apparently the Shelter had been officially re-opened less than 24 hours.

Combined with my recent NY AT section hike, I went from the lowest point on the entire AT (the Bear Mtn, NY zoo) to the highest point, Clingmans Dome, in three weeks. I promise, it was uphill all the way!

Oh yes, we did see a bear, walking across the road right in front of us, as we left Cades Cove Campground yesterday when we went back to get our other car.
    Last edited by Rain Man; 07-06-2015 at 13:13.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by BirdBrain View Post
    The 3 day 45 mile shakedown did not go well. I am tired and sore. That should not have been that tough. I did much better in Maine and NH. I feel like a wimp. Reassessing the rest of the year.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

++ New Posts ++