WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by lili View Post
    Are these alright?
    Attachment 31215
    The truth is that anything will work... Some footware just requires you to think a bit more about where you plant your feet. Grandma Gatewood did the trail in Keds, etc. It is all about what works for you. The trail through the 100 Mile Wilderness can be extremely wet. How do those shoes perform on wet rocks, heading down (or up) a hill?

If you feel confident in them, and they are all that you have, then go for it. Others have done the trail in lesser shoes. Others have done the trail in shoes that were superior. The point is that each of them completed the trail. I could say that I would prefer a shoe with a bit more traction...and that is usually the case when I am hiking the trail. However, I have also done that section of trail in Keen sandals. It just means being more alert about where you put your feet.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by bemental View Post
    Hey Guys, wanted to update those who are interested with how my little jaunt into the 100MW went as it seems pertinent to this thread as we had to bail due to an injury.

My dog and I were hiking, when on day two (close to our planned stop) he jammed a shoulder coming down Nesutabunt Mountain. He was limping pretty badly so I carried his pack into shelter, and made the call the next morning that we'd have to cut and run as soon as we could.

I wrote about the adventure in-depth on my blog, but the jist of it was we came upon a family at the southeastern end of Lake Nahmakanta and hitched a ride from them 26 miles down the logging roads to the Jo-Mary checkpoint near Rt. 11, where we were able to call the AT Lodge for a shuttle into Bangor (where I live).

It wasn't the ideal bail by any stretch of the imagination, but it was possible (aided by the fact it was a busy holiday weekend).
    I'm sorry your pooch hurt his shoulder (but can completely picture where he did it)! I wish him a speedy recovery!

The Jo-Mary road is heavily traveled this time of year. I've used it as a stop point (during the week) for a short trip I was doing... While waiting for a friend to pick me up, I had several people stop and ask if I was okay and needed a ride. In the 2 hours I was waiting, I had 5-6 vehicles go by in the direction I was headed.

Other times (when just crossing that road), I have witnessed multiple cars go by. Maybe that is not normal, but it left the impression that lots of people use that road for recreation during the summer.

Thanks for the well wishes, he seems to be much better now that he his home. Might be his last trip out on the trail, could have been his way of telling me hiking wasn't his thing (although he really does seem to love it out there, at least for a small amount of the time).

Regarding the trail, the trail is dry in some portions, and a complete wet disaster in others. So regardless of what shoe you choose, they're going to get waterlogged at times, even if it doesn't rain.

Just remember that even if you end your day with wet socks, it doesn't mean you have to start your day with them. The old trick of putting socks in your pockets while you hike, or in your sleeping bag at night to dry them out still works just fine.

Pictures of the trail:

2015-06-30-9.JPG 2015-07-01.JPG
    Attached Images Attached Images

Images

Glad to hear your dog is doing better. Enjoyed meeting you both!

- Chief
    AT Lodge
    Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. -Kahlil Gibran

bemental, thanks for the pics. It looks really pretty there. Also glad to hear your pup is doing better.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++