WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Trail conditions from Springer to Hot Springs

I'm thinking of reliving the glory days, and hiking somewhere in between Springer and Hot Springs. I'm up to date on closures in the Smokeys, due to the bears. Are there any other sections on the AT that I should be wary of? Last time, I saw 18 bears (including cubs) in between Springer and Pearisburg during a summer drought. While it's great to see bears, I don't necessarily want to be camping where there has been too much activity.

Also, I'm assuming that water isn't an issue, with the weather we've been having. Can someone confirm that? However, with all of these June storms, how is the blowdown situation?

Just did a day hike between Dicks Creek Gap and Blue Ridge Gap. No bears noted, but plenty of scat in the trail. Did not check the water sources so can’t help with this 5.6 mile section. I walked from Unicoi Gap to Dicks Creek Gap a couple of weeks ago and replenished my water at the spring on the trail into Deep Gap Shelter. Took awhile to get 2 L, but still a good flow. Hope this helps a little.
    FYI: The FS road to Blue Ridge Gap (from the west) has been cleared and will accept traffic for non 4WD vehicles for the time being. May want to check out Top of Georgia Hostel located just west of Dicks Creek.

Did Woody Gap south to AFSP two weeks ago. No bears. Plenty of water then. You will not have water issues now. We've received well over seven (7) inches of rain down here in the valleys of WNC over the last four days.

++ New Posts ++