WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thanks to those who have given me information on backpacks, and other tips. I think we need to reset though if people are talking about trolling or don't believe I'm serious. I want to rephrase my opening post.

I'm looking for a backpack that is 45 to 60 liters in capasity, I'm looking for one with side compartments, and ways to fasten things on the outside of the backpack, I want something that is durrable and designed for long distance hikes. I'll have a better idea when I go to REI and look around, but any brand names that are reliable or particular models that anyone here has used, id love to hear more about that. Again thanks to those who have had ideas, I'll be doing some research and have taken in some tips.

That's all I need to know about at this point, this will keep the forum from going in different directions, and I'll ask the other questions individually in other forums.

The first thing you need to do is get a guide book. Either the AWOL AT Guide or the ATC companion. These give you all the info you need about distances between shelters, where water is located, established tent/camping sites and town info. While in theory you can just pitch a tent off the side of the trail, in practice it isn't that easy. But that's a whole other ethical issue about creating a new campsite vs using well established sites and Leave No Trace (LNT) practices.

The second thing you need to do is down load a copy of "How to hike the A.T." The nitty-gritty details of a long-distance trek By Michelle Ray, which is available from Amazon for a very modest price. This book will answer most if not all of your questions.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikenet7482 View Post
    Thanks to those who have given me information on backpacks, and other tips. I think we need to reset though if people are talking about trolling or don't believe I'm serious. I want to rephrase my opening post.

I'm looking for a backpack that is 45 to 60 liters in capasity, I'm looking for one with side compartments, and ways to fasten things on the outside of the backpack, I want something that is durrable and designed for long distance hikes. I'll have a better idea when I go to REI and look around, but any brand names that are reliable or particular models that anyone here has used, id love to hear more about that. Again thanks to those who have had ideas, I'll be doing some research and have taken in some tips.

That's all I need to know about at this point, this will keep the forum from going in different directions, and I'll ask the other questions individually in other forums.
    The pack you describe sounds like an external from Kelty or Jansport. You won't find one at REI.

Other people, this is ​the strait forward forum.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

If you really intend to get to 35-40 pounds of total pack weight and need only 60L of capacity look into the ULA Catalyst. However, I suggest that you assemble all of your other gear and weigh everything before buying the pack.

REI currently has the Flash 45 (50 liter in large size) priced at $70. It weighs about 2 pounds and 3 ounces with a great suspension system.
    Opinion follows:
    Unless one has special needs, a long distance hiker doesn't need anything bigger than this if they do their research and choose their gear accordingly. Small sil-nylon 1 person tent (2 lbs.), Kelty Tuck 20 bag (3 lbs,), Klymit air mattress (1 lb.), Flash 45 backpack. Big 4 at 8.25 pounds at a reasonable $400. Some people pay more than that for just one of their items. I bought my big 4 for $349.89 including shipping. I bought a Jansport Katahdin 50L Backpack (2.25 lbs) for $49.95, 6 Moon Designs Lunar Solo, Kelty Tuck 20 and Klymit Static V2.
    Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    The pack you describe sounds like an external from Kelty or Jansport. You won't find one at REI.

Other people, this is ​the strait forward forum.
    Thank you! Breath of fresh air, simple straight forward answer, and no sidetracking convo on how much I know or don't know.

Thank you as well, this is the type of info I'm needing mostly.

Singto I meant on my very last post, I'm getting information on backpacks I need now.

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    If you really intend to get to 35-40 pounds of total pack weight and need only 60L of capacity look into the ULA Catalyst. However, I suggest that you assemble all of your other gear and weigh everything before buying the pack.
    These words have been said over, and over and over whenever someone just starting out asks for recommendations on a backpack. Search Whiteblaze and see for yourself. Speaking from personal experience, doing it your way-backpack first-is incorrect. That is what I did when I bought my first backpack. It was a mistake.
    Several folks have already said, "Buy your other gear first. Then find a backpack that FITS YOU and will hold your gear."
    Please put aside your preconceived misconceptions for a moment. We are trying to help.
    Is that straight forward enough?

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    These words have been said over, and over and over whenever someone just starting out asks for recommendations on a backpack. Search Whiteblaze and see for yourself. Speaking from personal experience, doing it your way-backpack first-is incorrect. That is what I did when I bought my first backpack. It was a mistake.
    Several folks have already said, "Buy your other gear first. Then find a backpack that FITS YOU and will hold your gear."
    Please put aside your preconceived misconceptions for a moment. We are trying to help.
    Is that straight forward enough?

Wayne
    I was thinking a 50 or 60 liter will be large enough to bring what i need with room to spare, I've seen them stuffed with a lot of stuff at that size. If I'm going over the capacity of a bag like that then I'm bringing too much. On the flip side of things I could get everything I need first, find out it doesn't fit and have wasted money on stuff I cant bring. I want to be able to practice while wearing the backpack with other stuff in it in the meantime, to see what I can carry, and to see what my weight limit for longer hikes. Im looking to practice right now, i think this approach will help me not but anything I cant carry.

I'll think about it but given Im not getting a small bag I don't think i'll be over loading it. I'm not turning down all the information here by the way, im being told some things I know I'll need to change and other thngs I don't agree with at all. I was told not to bring a compass, not to bring a backup phone, and someone said they dont filter the water they drink. Those are things that I consider bad choices, and this is based on information im reading on legit backpackers websites.

I may sound like I'm hard headed, but I found a lot of information here very useful, I needed to know how far apart the water was, and how long the trail was between states. The MRE's that people are concerned about I'll consider. I was also told an idea that i had previously thought of which was to look online at everything I want get the weights of everything and come up with a total before I get too much in weight. If there's as much water on the trail as people are suggesting it's good to know that I can bring a little less. The calories I'lll be burning and the calories of the food I eat are something I'll need to look into.

These are all reasons I need to learn about the backpack now, it was the primary focus of this forum. So I need information on them before I decide what to purchase, it's possible I'll get a tent instead in a few days, I'm not sure yet, but there's some stuff I want to wait on.

Slo-go'en the "AWOL AT Guide or the ATC companion", are things I'll go ahead and get soon as well. I'll look for them on ebay unless you have another link I can find books like that. Don't know if I can find printable versions, but Id prefer having the guides themselves in original form.

If you insist on doing this your way then I would suggest you find a cheap used pack, perhaps on E-Bay, so you can do a few practice overnights, so you can narrow down your gear. You should then have a better idea of the pack size that best suits your style.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mikenet7482 View Post
    Slo-go'en the "AWOL AT Guide or the ATC companion", are things I'll go ahead and get soon as well. I'll look for them on ebay unless you have another link I can find books like that. Don't know if I can find printable versions, but Id prefer having the guides themselves in original form.
    Here is a link to Awol's AT Guide (has lots of great info!): http://www.theatguide.com/
    Here is a link to the Companion: http://www.aldha.org/companion.html

Images

On a side note, but related to your AT Guide & Conservancy questions... You can find lots of great information for trip planning on AT Guide website. You can also find lots of great information through the Appalachian Trail Conservancy (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/). That should help will planning your hike, which will help with determining some of the things you might/might not choose to take on your hike.

I'll wait on the backpack I'm using on my long trip longer based on the info here, a few months or so while I get some of the other things, this approach yall are wanting me to do is going to cost me more money but I'll go ahead and do it. Im not going to buy eveything else first, I want to make sure the bigger things fit and I'll get some misciolanious small and light things that will still be good next year. I'm thinking the biggest and heaviest (piece of equipment) will be the tent perhaps? If I can fit that by volume then other things should fit in my big backpack. I want to learn how to pitch my tent and use it and make sure it's good, if I get this at least I can start practice walking longer distances then camping with it. I'll need some kind of backpack to carry things for my preperation trips so I suppose I'll have to buy two acording to what I'm hearing. One cheap backpack for practice, and one expnsive 50-60 liter backpack for the trip I'm planning next year, I have little way of practicing and preparing myself without some kind of backpack and tent, and I want to practice early. So I'm going to have to figure something out soon.

Based on what I'm reading here and on other forums these are some good ideas for my larger backpack...

ULA Circuit
    ULA Catalyst
    Flash 45 (50 liter in large size)
    An external from Kelty or Jansport

Thats the best information I'm getting so far, any additions to this would be helpful, for my big hike Im planning on going slightly heavier than some, that doesnt mean a 100 pounds worth of equipment and a 100 liter bag. From what I'm learning a 60 liter will probably be good for what I'm planning give or take. I need to hear as many ideas on these types of backpacks though, if I can't buy it in a few days at the very least yall can help me learn about them. Do I need one that has an internal frame for example. Anymore brands that yall can suggest or models would be helpful.

This is the information I've gotten so far here....

ULA Circuit
    ULA Catalyst
    Flash 45 (50 liter in large size)
    An external from Kelty or Jansport

Id love to hear about other backpacks, good brands, and good models. Details about them too, like the difference between one that has an internal frame or not.

Images

The Osprey Exos is an excellent pack. Comes in varying sizes.

I don't think people are suggesting a practice backpack and a real backpack... Generally one would practice with the gear they will be using. While yours is an absolutely straight forward and very specific question, it is really hard to come up with a specific answer as to what will work for you. Part of that is because you do not yet have a specific tent, sleeping bag (you might want to look into backpacking quilts as well - they are extremely light and will save on space in your pack), etc. It's not that people are trying to give you a hard time - there is redundancy within your listed gear and most of us look to use multi-use items. The suggestions are coming from a good place and we do want to help.

A tent won't necessarily be your heaviest item. It all depends on what kind of tent (backpacking, tarp, tarp tent...) you are interested in using. It also depends on how much money you are looking to invest in backpacking.

This site is a great source for information!

Images

One thought on whatever backpack you are choosing... In addition to being able to fit the stuff, the pack also needs to be the right fit for your body. Otherwise, you will end up hating the pack. Packs used to be designed to be more one-size-fits all. Not so much these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat View Post
    The Osprey Exos is an excellent pack. Comes in varying sizes.

I don't think people are suggesting a practice backpack and a real backpack... Generally one would practice with the gear they will be using. While yours is an absolutely straight forward and very specific question, it is really hard to come up with a specific answer as to what will work for you. Part of that is because you do not yet have a specific tent, sleeping bag (you might want to look into backpacking quilts as well - they are extremely light and will save on space in your pack), etc. It's not that people are trying to give you a hard time - there is redundancy within your listed gear and most of us look to use multi-use items. The suggestions are coming from a good place and we do want to help.

A tent won't necessarily be your heaviest item. It all depends on what kind of tent (backpacking, tarp, tarp tent...) you are interested in using. It also depends on how much money you are looking to invest in backpacking.

This site is a great source for information!
    thank you I'll add that one to my list, I'll but the tent first, and get a sleeping bag and keep the weight in mind. I'm thinking of investing 1000$ or more for this trip next year if I need to, but hopefully less. I'm not sure yet untill I start seeing more prices.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    This sounds like a good choice though it may be beyond your budget....
    With so many variables as to the quantity of gear and supplies, a backpack with a roll top closure, such as those made by ULA might well be your best solution.
    Like myself and many others, you'll most likely ditch a bunch of gear as you progress and learn what is necessary and what is just extra weight. Then you can simply keep rolling down the top of your pack and still have a fairly well balanced pack on your back.
    good luck with it, nothing like the real thing though as in getting out there.

Many outfitters & outdoor stores, REI included, will loan you a backpack for a short trip. This might be a good way to determine which features you prefer or feel you really need for your style of packing & will help you decide which packs & brands to consider without having to spend big money on something you dont want .

There are so many options and every hiker is different. What I think is great may not suit you at all, but this way, you could try it and see.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++