WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Tenting advice

Default Tenting advice

Hi! I am doing an end-to-end NOBO at the start of August and I was wondering if this is a good idea: for when the shelters are full would an 8 x 10 tarp with a simple bug net, foam pad, and a 20 degree bag be suitable for the nights on the trail? Are the temperatures ok for that?

Quote Originally Posted by Collin View Post
    Hi! I am doing an end-to-end NOBO at the start of August and I was wondering if this is a good idea: for when the shelters are full would an 8 x 10 tarp with a simple bug net, foam pad, and a 20 degree bag be suitable for the nights on the trail? Are the temperatures ok for that?
    That would be appropriate almost anywhere with a temperate climate in summer, with the possible exception of hellish bug country.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Journal Entries

20 degree might be a bit warm a lot of the time, but it will work.

Images

We tented as often as we could on the LT, which ended up being about half the nights. This was almost always near one of the shelters, and the tent sites ranged from amazing to pretty bad.

I do recall several sites where rigging an 8x10 tarp would have been challenging due to the very small size of the tent area. But I think it could be done.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

My thinking is that, after reading so many trip reports, I should be able to use the shelters most evenings. I would just like this option because I imagine the southern overlap with the AT will be busy in August so this would be my backup if I can't get a spot. Also, I could use the bug net if skeeters were a problem in the shelters.

I imagine 20 is too low a bag but I sleep cold and I never trust mountain nights. Thank you for the replies!

Quote Originally Posted by Collin View Post
    Are you sure you're not doing a SOBO?

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

I'd say it's just about perfect. The first time I did the LT (in the 60's), I had a similar approach and setup. 20 degree bag was usually overkill, but that beats underkill.

It can get pretty darn chilly towards the end of August, especially on the northern end. A 20* bag will seem like overkill at the start, but you'll likely be glad to have it later on.

If you can support the tarp with hiking poles you can probably get away with it. North of the Maine junction tenting opportunities are very few. Also the trail crosses State or Private land on the northern half, so camping is only permitted at the designated (shelter) sites, most of which are pretty small clearings in the woods. Thankfully there is little traffic up there so staying in the shelters isn't a problem.

On the AT half which crosses National Forest land there aren't any restrictions on where you can camp, except for the fact the terrain is not very suitable for it. A couple of the popular sites, Little Rock Pond and Stratton pond have tenting areas with tent platforms. Other then those two sites, at best there might be a small area of somewhat flat ground and free of big rocks next to the shelter you could put up a tent. (or tarp if it is self supporting)
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

++ New Posts ++