Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Images

You can also check out what Swami went through in 2012. He hit the Canadian border at the end of July so Wa. Would be about the same as your plan, only reversed.

http://www.thehikinglife.com/2015/06...lideshow-2012/

Don't so many of us get enthralled with such popular topics? SPEED. We all jumped in to the deep end of the pool with you. Much excellent 100 day PCT thru-hike beta was shared though. But wait. It seems you have other options! Don't we often do IF we seek them?

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    I can definitely see many of the downsides that Dogwood mentions above. However I don't think that it is going to be realistic for me to do a full thru hike unless I do a fast hike. Being away for five months just is too much and even four is really pushing it. So I have to ultimately choose between something like a 100 day thru hike or be satisfied with "chunk hiking" the rest of the trail. The thing is that even though I thought I'd be OK with chunk hiking starting from where I left off when I made the decision to end my hike the reality is that I'm not. I've been back two weeks and pretty obsessed with doing a thru of the entire trail - start to finish. Part of it is the accomplishment of a thru, but also I actually liked Southern California and wouldn't mind going back, whether at the start of a NOBO or at the end as a SOBO.
    Your post here is very telling.

OK here's your position, you want:

1) a sense of accomplishment of doing a thru-hike

I get that especially after having decided to end your last hike. You want to get right back out there. Something is gnawing at you. Re-establish something. I wonder why you did end that last hike though?

2) you liked Socal

You want more of that. I guess scenery terrain logistics wise?

3) you have only about 3-3.5 months to hike

You have ONLY the PCT on your mind. We've all jumped into that obsession with you without asking some valid "behind the scenes" questions to better assess your situation. You assume in order to gain the accomplishment of a thru-hike it has to be a fast 100 day PCT thru-hike. You don't want to chunk hike.

I'm wondering how much you'll have to ramp it up from the hiking baseline you're accustomed, which we(I) know little about, possibly turning the way you hike on it's head, possibly(likely?), changing other, yet unforseen "things", into something undesirable.

Here's a different thought. Could you get all that by say doing an AZT, Grand Enchantment or Hayduke Trail thru-hike? Maybe even TWO of those types of southwest hikes? Maybe say doing a AZT thru and then visiting some of the other NPs in the southwest to hike? I bet you'd love the hiking in southern Utah! and the Grand Canyon! and hiking through blooming Giant Saguaro forests! .....AND coming back to do a more relaxed PCT thru when you have a greater time allowance in the near future or when you're not reacting out of obsession OR after you've tested yourself on a shorter distance "fast/faster" hike gaining valuable fast hike experience? You already said you decided to quit one PCT hike. What happens to your psyche if after all this rather energy expending 100 day PCT thru hike planning and boots on the ground effort also doesn't pan out? Seems like you're back to having done another chunk hike! Could that chunk hike distance been the completion of a thru-hike on a shorter distance trail? HMMM?

Personally, I've given a ton of thought to what you're considering in my own decisions being in a similar current position myself. It's been my strong preference to only thru-hike, usually long distances of 2000+ miles at one time, being out for months at a time, and being a hiking bum averaging 3500+ boots on the ground miles/yr for the past decade. But, with my current schedule and entire spectrum of life interests, even though these hiking preferences are in my heart and soul, I only get away 3 months/yr now and not always in one stretch. My long distance backpacking has had to change as these things have changed. I've been looking at doing more hikes, some of my own routes, some on named trails, but of shorter distance, say of about 1200 miles or less at a time, sometimes only a few bag nights at a shot, to meet my current situation. It's been challenging as those hiking preferences of the past 10 yrs are still engrained in my soul. But, you know what? I'm grateful I've been able to do any of it! Most folks aren't able to get 3 months a yr to hike. How fortunate I've been.

And, even when I'm only out for a few nights at a time as long as I'm hiking to the final destination I had planned that is also a thru-hike! Thru-hikes are everywhere!

OK time to go thru-hike the Mow the Backyard Trail.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    I'm wondering how much you'll have to ramp it up from the hiking baseline you're accustomed, which we(I) know little about, possibly turning the way you hike on it's head, possibly(likely?), changing other, yet unforseen "things", into something undesirable.
    It could change my experience dramatically to move to around 30 miles per day but I suspect it might be OK especially with a more streamlined/lighter pack and better water management. As a point of reference, I covered the 300 miles between Big Bear and Tehachapi Pass in 13 days, but one of those 13 days was a five mile nero into Wrightwood, so I averaged nearly 25 miles per day over that stretch for full days hiked, and taking the nero was definitely optional from a physical perspective. I had a good routine going at that point and I wasn't really using up all of my energy or daylight hours to make those miles, and I was enjoying it and not feeling like it was a death march. This was with my 15 pound base weight and with pack weights maybe in the low 30s at a number of points due to heavy water carries (in some cases too heavy as I hadn't dialed in my requirements that well).

Probably the only way I can predict what 30 mpd sustained would feel like is to go and do it so I'm planning to get away for a couple of weeks probably in August and do a fast hike on the AT maybe starting with easier terrain like SNP, heading southbound. I might just start in Front Royal and see how far south I can get over two weeks. I also am planning a fall hike, although that's probably more motivated by wanting to do something to coincide with the fall foliage season somewhere rather than purely testing my physical ability, although I'll likely hike relatively fast on that trip as well.

My situation is a bit strange in that I definitely can hike 5-6 months a year cumulatively, but it is difficult to do it uninterrupted without neglecting other things in my personal life. I don't really foresee that changing over the next several years. As for the PCT, I think that my approach for 2016 will be to retain as much flexibility as I can in terms of specifics. If it is another low snow year in California, maybe a fast NOBO would be possible starting in early May rather than late May making SoCal more pleasant. If it is a low snow year in Washington state and I can safely start a thru hike by early-mid July, then I think that I might enjoy the challenge of a fast SOBO. I guess there's plenty of time to think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Don't so many of us get enthralled with such popular topics? SPEED. We all jumped in to the deep end of the pool with you. Much excellent 100 day PCT thru-hike beta was shared though. But wait. It seems you have other options! Don't we often do IF we seek them?

Your post here is very telling.

OK here's your position, you want:

1) a sense of accomplishment of doing a thru-hike

I get that especially after having decided to end your last hike. You want to get right back out there. Something is gnawing at you. Re-establish something. I wonder why you did end that last hike though?

2) you liked Socal

You want more of that. I guess scenery terrain logistics wise?

3) you have only about 3-3.5 months to hike

You have ONLY the PCT on your mind. We've all jumped into that obsession with you without asking some valid "behind the scenes" questions to better assess your situation. You assume in order to gain the accomplishment of a thru-hike it has to be a fast 100 day PCT thru-hike. You don't want to chunk hike.

Here's a different thought. Could you get all that by say doing an AZT, Grand Enchantment or Hayduke Trail thru-hike? Maybe even TWO of those types of southwest hikes? Maybe say doing a AZT thru and then visiting some of the other NPs in the southwest to hike? I bet you'd love the hiking in southern Utah! and the Grand Canyon! and hiking through blooming Giant Saguaro forests! .....AND coming back to do a more relaxed PCT thru when you have a greater time allowance in the near future or when you're not reacting out of obsession OR after you've tested yourself on a shorter distance "fast/faster" hike gaining valuable fast hike experience? You already said you decided to quit one PCT hike. What happens to your psyche if after all this rather energy expending 100 day PCT thru hike planning and boots on the ground effort also doesn't pan out? Seems like you're back to having done another chunk hike! Could that chunk hike distance been the completion of a thru-hike on a shorter distance trail? HMMM?

Personally, I've given a ton of thought to what you're considering in my own decisions being in a similar current position myself. It's been my strong preference to only thru-hike, usually long distances of 2000+ miles at one time, being out for months at a time, and being a hiking bum averaging 3500+ boots on the ground miles/yr for the past decade. But, with my current schedule and entire spectrum of life interests, even though these hiking preferences are in my heart and soul, I only get away 3 months/yr now and not always in one stretch. My long distance backpacking has had to change as these things have changed. I've been looking at doing more hikes, some of my own routes, some on named trails, but of shorter distance, say of about 1200 miles or less at a time, sometimes only a few bag nights at a shot, to meet my current situation. It's been challenging as those hiking preferences of the past 10 yrs are still engrained in my soul. But, you know what? I'm grateful I've been able to do any of it! Most folks aren't able to get 3 months a yr to hike. How fortunate I've been.

And, even when I'm only out for a few nights at a time as long as I'm hiking to the final destination I had planned that is also a thru-hike! Thru-hikes are everywhere!

OK time to go thru-hike the Mow the Backyard Trail.
    Your message box is full...thx for info

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Going to bump this thread because I'm thinking about doing something similar but possibly a bit more aggressive. I'm kicking around the idea of doing a fast NOBO thru in 2016, probably in the 80-90 day range. I'll probably hit the trail starting around 30 miles / day. I did AT SOBO in 75 days a few years ago, and last year did the first half of the AZT at about that pace, so I think the pace is doable for me.

Curious as to start date. I know that it'll obviously depend on snow, which won't be known until the spring, but when is a safe start date to pencil in? I'm thinking late May. It should take me 3-4 weeks to get to Kennedy Meadows, so that would put me there around June 20. Thoughts?

Thunderbird

Quote Originally Posted by Walking Thunderbird View Post
    Going to bump this thread because I'm thinking about doing something similar but possibly a bit more aggressive. I'm kicking around the idea of doing a fast NOBO thru in 2016, probably in the 80-90 day range. I'll probably hit the trail starting around 30 miles / day. I did AT SOBO in 75 days a few years ago, and last year did the first half of the AZT at about that pace, so I think the pace is doable for me.

Curious as to start date. I know that it'll obviously depend on snow, which won't be known until the spring, but when is a safe start date to pencil in? I'm thinking late May. It should take me 3-4 weeks to get to Kennedy Meadows, so that would put me there around June 20. Thoughts?

Thunderbird
    June 15 used to be the conventional wisdom when it comes to reaching Kennedy Meadows and I think it would work out great in a low snow year like this year, but in most years there would still be snow on the high passes that could slow down a fast hike. Based on what I have read, I think that I would want to get to KM a bit later for a fast thru hike attempt - perhaps July 1 - so as to not be slowed down by any meaningful snow. As a result, I would bake in Southern California in June. The late start heading NOBO is my primary reason for focusing on a faster SOBO next year. That, plus the fact that I would be hiking the final 850 or so miles in the opposite direction of my hike this year to give it a bit of a different flavor.

I hiked from Campo to Florence Lake this spring leaving the PCT at mile 857. ...being on the trail for five months was just too long given my circumstances. ...being away for 100 days much easier than 5+ months.
    Hey Coffee, here's a different way to look at it.

For a 100 day hike, could you do Campo to Florence Lake in 39 days? Can you maintain this effort for 100 days? An average hiker uses 60 days. How long did it take you this year?

The idea of being on the trail for less time seems like it might be easier. If your time decreases, something must increase. I've been calling it 'Mojo' to measure this effort.

Your Mojo will need to increase 50% of an average hike. That's huge.

I don't think there's going to be a free lunch anywhere in this. The miles will have to be covered and the price is non-negotiable.

-postholer

Nope, no free lunch. Not expecting one. I left Campo on April 12. I exited Florence Lake on June 10. However, I had 12 zeros. Two on trail and 10 due to flying home, and several neros. I definitely didn't push myself to my capabilities partly b/c I wasn't trying to do a 100 day hike and because I knew that I had a fixed schedule commitment (flight) in the middle of my hike and there was no use in being early.

To be honest I'm not a fan of your "mojo" idea scaled on the number of days without any mathematical/statistical discipline applied to the exercise, so I don't want to get into that. But clearly a 100 day thru would require a much faster pace than what I did this year. I feel capable of going quite a bit faster at my current level of fitness and pack weight but not 100 days. I have my work cut out for me to get to that point for sure.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Does it have to be exactly 100 days? .. Do you just want to be able to say you hiked the PCT in 100 days or is "100 days" code for "I want to finish fast so I can get home."

Why could it not be 110 days? The difference between 100 days and 110 days is "only" 10 days but would still be a fast PCT hike and give you quite a bit of breathing room.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    Does it have to be exactly 100 days? .. Do you just want to be able to say you hiked the PCT in 100 days or is "100 days" code for "I want to finish fast so I can get home."

Why could it not be 110 days? The difference between 100 days and 110 days is "only" 10 days but would still be a fast PCT hike and give you quite a bit of breathing room.
    I don't have any fixation on 100 days at all other than my perception that staying away longer isn't a good option. I actually have been mentally thinking about a four month absence from home that would include travel to/from the trail which would add a bit of leeway. However, from a practical standpoint, a SOBO starting mid July has to be a fast hike to get through the Sierra on time. I think it's more a matter of whether to keep that pace up in Southern California or not.

I should have stayed on the trail this year. I can't count the number of times over the past few weeks that I nearly went back.

GAME 06

Quote Originally Posted by Walking Thunderbird View Post

Thunderbird
    It is my understanding that to start NOBO now you need a reservation and that you have to pick that day pretty far in advance. I expect that if you wanted to later adjust your departure date based off snow pack that this reservation system could present a problem.

I am not sure about the above but I would like to know the definitive answer as I am planning on either a PCT or CDT hike next year.

Does anyone have full knowledge of how flexible the reservation system is?

Quote Originally Posted by Wyoming View Post
    It is my understanding that to start NOBO now you need a reservation and that you have to pick that day pretty far in advance. I expect that if you wanted to later adjust your departure date based off snow pack that this reservation system could present a problem.

I am not sure about the above but I would like to know the definitive answer as I am planning on either a PCT or CDT hike next year.

Does anyone have full knowledge of how flexible the reservation system is?
    Late May/early June permits from Campo will be a non-issue. I'm sure it is possible to check with PCTA but there were many, many open dates after the first week of May that I noticed when looking at the site prior to leaving for my hike in early April. The dates that were booked solid included late March, all of April, and the first week of May. Very few hikers would want to start late May/early June.

My wife's nephew started mid June this year... After 200 miles in desert without water he said screw it....hitched up to Kennedy meadows....north from there...I can't imagine the heat in the desert during the summer and I live in the sauna called Florida! He lives in the keys.....I hate hot weather!

In contrast, the desert areas were pleasant for me this year and in some cases even on the cool side. I have no idea if my experience was normal, but if so, thrus starting in mid April should have a much better experience. Of course, a fast thru hiker starting in mid April will get to KM way too early to keep up a fast pace with all of the snow (in a normal year).

GAME 06

Late May/early June permits from Campo will be a non-issue. I'm sure it is possible to check with PCTA but there were many, many open dates after the first week of May that I noticed when looking at the site prior to leaving for my hike in early April. The dates that were booked solid included late March, all of April, and the first week of May. Very few hikers would want to start late May/early June.
    txs

I hike in big heat a lot here in AZ so I think a late start on the PCT is doable and was thinking of watching the 10 day forecast and trying to time hitting a cool spell (say 5-10 deg below normal) for the start. We can drive to Campo in 1 day from our house so that part is easy. I don't really want to start early anyway as I have 'rough' plans to hike the GET before the PCT as a training get in shape hike. That would take about 7-8 weeks so if I start it about 1 March that would maybe be perfect timing.

Another option I have considered is using the GAP section of the GWLT (Skurka's route) as a training hike for the PCT also. He has said it is 675 miles but I think it is actually under 600 as I have researched it pretty extensively. It starts at the Grand Canyon and ends at the PCT approximately mile 225. Then I could hike south to Campo (no reservation needed) and then get shuttled back to Morongo Valley where I connected into the PCT from the Gap section. The Gap is easy hiking with some long resupplies(average is about 150 mi) and one big water carry (70 mi across Joshua Tree NP). This is an attractive option as the start is only 2 hours from my house.

GAME 06

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    My wife's nephew started mid June this year... After 200 miles in desert without water he said screw it....hitched up to Kennedy meadows....north from there...I can't imagine the heat in the desert during the summer and I live in the sauna called Florida! He lives in the keys.....I hate hot weather!

I lived in VA for 30 years and am very familiar with the hot and humid east/south. The heat out here is very different and much more dangerous. One of the main problems is that there is very little shade in the desert and thus when it is 100 the actual temp you hiking in in the direct sun is can be 15 degrees hotter. And the ground radiates heat back up at you something ugly. And if it is 110 in the shade it is indescribable. Just yesterday right inside Phoenix some British tourist on a several hour hike died of heat stroke. It happens several times a year right in town. The big issues are you sweat so fast and it dries so quick that folks do not realize they are heading south fast. When it is really hot you will need a liter an hour and you must load up on the electrolytes. Or you will die. You can kill yourself in just a couple of hours. Almost no one hikes full or multiday hikes in mid summer in the desert here. But even in the higher elevations it gets dangerous if you are not careful.

There was a trail journal or blog up last year about a guy who started hiking from Phoenix and ended up at Campo to start the PCT. But I can't seem to find that journal with a google search at the moment. It sounded really dry with a lot of road walking but I think that he ended up at Campo, not mile 225, so likely was a different route.

GAME 06

There was a trail journal or blog up last year about a guy who started hiking from Phoenix and ended up at Campo to start the PCT. But I can't seem to find that journal with a google search at the moment. It sounded really dry with a lot of road walking but I think that he ended up at Campo, not mile 225, so likely was a different route.
    If he started from Phoenix that would be about 200 miles from the Grand Canyon. The Gap section has very little road walking (if you mean pavement) but there is a lot of dirt ranch tracks and forest service roads. A section is down in the Grand Canyon, another is a long river bed walk between Bagdad AZ and Parker AZ (there are several 100 yard swims involved according to Skurka but one can walk up out of the canyon and go around them if one does not want to swim), another section which is crosses the Mojave to Joshua Tree you walk along the dirt maintenance road for the California Aquaduct (your only water source between Parker and Joshua Tree), and then there is a 70 miles water carry across Joshua Tree. There is about 25 miles of bushwacking across part of Mojave and the first 1/3 of Joshua Tree.

I've been working on my gear list for next year and here is what I have come up with so far. Items with an asterisk would be new purchases.

Packing & Camping
    * zPacks ArcBlast 60L Backpack w/hip belt pockets, shoulder pockets, & load lifters 19 ounces
    Pack liner - compactor bag 2.35 ounces.
    No pack cover due to cuben being water resistant & unlikely to get soaked w/water weight
    Hexamid Twin including ground sheet, guylines and stuff sack 18.85 ounces
    Shelter stakes (6) 1.7 ounces
    zPacks 20 degree regular width x long length (arriving Saturday!!!)
    Exped UL pillow 2.15 ounces
    Blue foam sit pad 1.75 ounces
    Neoair xLite regular 13 ounces
    Total packing & camping: 78.25 ounces, or 4.9 pounds

Kitchen & Hydration

Tentatively planning to go stovelessTi Spork 0.5 ounce
    Mini Bic 0.4 ounce
    Storm matches 0.55 ounces
    zPacks food bag 1.4 ounces
    Aloksak 12x20 bag 1.5 ounces
    Cordage & carabiner (PCT Hang) 1.6 ounces
    Sawyer Squeeze regular 3 ounces
    2L Platypus (2) 2.4 ounces (add additional platy for SoCal)
    Smartwater 1L and 700ML 2.5 ounces
    Total Kitchen & Hydration: 13.85 ounces or 0.9 pounds

Hygiene & Safety
    Dr. Bronners soap 1.4 ounces
    Sunscreen SPF 30 1.25 ounces
    Toilet Paper 0.9 ounce
    First aid kit 4.0 ounces (will try to pare down)
    Repair kit 3.45 ounces (will try to pare down)
    Snow stake trowel 1.4 ounces
    Tooth brush/tooth paste 2.1 ounces
    Swiss Army Classic .75 ounce
    Compass 1 ounce
    Whistle 0.2 ounce
    BD Spot headlamp 3.2 ounce
    Towel/Bandana 1.95 ounce
    Total Hygieve & Safety: 21.6 ounces or 1.4 pounds

Misc & Electronics
    Halfmile map sections (weight will vary -avg) 3 ounces
    Small journal & pen 1.95 ounces
    Sony powershot DSC-WX150 w/battery 4.7 ounces
    zPacks zip pouch for camera 0.5 ounce
    Spot 2 device w/batteries (no case) 4.25 ounces
    Moto G cell phone 5.1 ounces
    zPacks zip pouch for phone 0.3 ounce
    Anker Astro mini external battery 3.2 ounces
    USB recharger cables 1 ounce
    iClever dual USB A/C plug 2.5 ounces
    Earphones 0.35 ounce
    Spare batteries for headlamp and SPOT (3xAAA Alk; 3xAAA Lith)
    Total Misc & Electronics: 28.7 ounces or 1.8 pounds

Packed Clothing
    Patagonia men's strider shorts w/integrated briefs 3.9 ounces
    Smartwool long sleeve crew microweight 150 (camp/sleep) 6.55 ounces
    * zPacks Challenger Rain Jacket 5.5 ounces
    * zPacks rain kilt 1.9 ounces
    Patagonia Houdini wind shirt 4 ounces
    * Montbell Thermawrap synthetic vest or similar 5.2 ounces
    Smartwool PhD Outdoor medium socks - extra pair 2.65 ounces
    Sleep sock liner 0.9 ounce
    OR Versaliner gloves 2.75 ounces
    Head net 0.95 ounce
    zPacks Microfleece warm hat 0.95 ounce
    Smartwool Microweight 150 long underwear (camp/sleep) 4.85 ounce
    Total Packed CLothing: 40.1 ounces or 2.5 pounds

Total Base Weight: 182.5 oucnes or 11.4 pounds

If my average food carry is 3 or 4 days (use 3.5 as an average) and I carry my typical 2 pounds/day, that's 112 ounces of food weight. If I carry 1.5 liters on average, that's 53 ounces of water weight. That's a total of 165 ounces of consumables. This would bring my total pack weight at the start of a typical segment to 21.7 pounds.

Sierra Nevada: If my worst case food carry is 7 days (14 pounds) and I have my Bearikade (~2 pounds), and I'm carrying a liter of water on average, total pack weight at the start of a segment would be just under 30 pounds, the practical limit of the Arc Blast, but only for the first day as food weight will diminish over the segment.

SoCal: If my worst case food carry is 5 days (10 pounds) and I'm carrying 5L of water (11 pounds), my starting pack weight for the segment would be around 32 pounds, beyond the practical limit of the Arc Blast but only for a short period of time as water and food are consumed.

General feedback is welcome but in particular I'm interested in whether anyone thinks that I should consider the ArcHaul rather than the ArcBlast given that I would (rarely) exceed 30 pounds. I would incur a 7-8 ounce penalty *for the entire hike* by going with the ArcHaul just to have a more capable pack for a few rare instances, so my gut instinct is that the ArcBlast would be sufficient. Also, there aren't very many ArcHaul reviews yet so I feel like the ArcBlast is a more capable pack. Why not go with my current Circuit? I well could do so if I'm willing to carry the 19 additional ounces (vs the ArcBlast) and I still might but in the context of my attempt, I have no problem buying a new pack for the trip if it improves the situation.

Shelter: Most likely will be tempted to stick with my current Hexamid Twin but it has >100 nights on it so I am considering selling it and buying an Altaplex ... that wouldn't really change my base weight at all so I don't feel it is that relevant. I could possible go with a tarp/bivy combo and still might look into that to save further weight.

Thanks for any input. Still have tons of time to plan!
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

GAME 06

Coffee,

Thanks for the above post. It is very useful to me.

I have sort of a question/comment. Re: the question about the Arc Haul. I have been thinking about the Arc Zip for the slight size plus and the nicer (to me) back pocket and panel opening. One thing I have been considering is to ask ZPacks about a custom front/shoulder pocket designed similar to the ones on the Aarn pack I have. That type of pocket adds much more useful volume than the regular shoulder pockets ZPacks sells like you are getting. And the big plus is that by having a stiffener in it and an attachment/support point on the hip belt all of the weight is carried on the belt and not the shoulder strap. So this gives you better weight distribution and a much better center of gravity, the ability to carry more weight than the Arc Blast/ZIp is designed for with no comfort penalty and less structural risk to the shoulder strap attachment location on the pack (the prime failure point), and even more convenient storage (the pockets should be designed to hold at least 1 but better two water bottle each - so about 2-3 liters volume broke into 2 sections). My Aarn pack has 5 L front pockets (a little big I think) and this type of pocket set up is ergonomically really top notch. If you are into hiking and snacking/drinking while walking this arrangement cannot be beat as one can have 4 L of water and a days worth of trail snacks sitting right in front of you for easy access.

If one goes with an arrangement like this it is also possible to drop down to a smaller pack bag like a 52 L vice the 60 L.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++