WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

I have been looking at trekking poles all day and a common theme I see is cork tends to be favored over rubber (provided it is quality and doesn't fall apart). It sound/looks like Pacer poles do not offer a cork grip though.

Has anyone tried any kind of wrap, around the handles o solve the hot sweaty/slippery issue? I am thinking vet wrap or maybe even tennis racket wrap (or whatever it would be called).

Quote Originally Posted by Drapac View Post
    I have been looking at trekking poles all day and a common theme I see is cork tends to be favored over rubber (provided it is quality and doesn't fall apart). It sound/looks like Pacer poles do not offer a cork grip though. . .
    I don't prefer cork. I prefer the foam grips as do many people.

I do prefer cork to rubber, but I strongly prefer foam to cork for comfort, moisture management and durability.

As for Pacer Poles not having the grip you want, then go buy ones with the grip you want. Pacer poles have a loyal following, but they are far from the only pole out there well worth owning.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Images

Regarding the PacerPole grips. I've never found them to be excessively sweaty. Due to the design, you really only need to hold them by two fingers, and only press your palm into them when propelling forward or bracing yourself for a down hill. Because you can grip them so lightly, the hands do not sweat, at least mine don't.

It would be very difficult to apply any type of wrap to a PacerPole grip, they are so ergonomically designed, it would be near impossible to get it to lay flat. Perhaps they could be dipped into some product, but I don't know what, nor would I bother.
    Last edited by Lyle; 01-10-2017 at 23:16.

I am intrigued by pacer polse, but have a question for Pacer Pole fans

I understand the grips are different (and chiral). But do straps work the same way? It looks as they don't really serve any purpose when hiking. When I'm using my traditional poles, I don't really grab the handles that much. The straps really do most of the work. Wondering if you miss the straps. Seems like this might be a big thing for me to get used to.

Images

Straps are entirely unnecessary. They do include some cord loops that go around your wrists if you wish. These allow you to use your hands while the pole just dangles for taking pictures or arranging a hat or whatnot.

I've used straps in the past, but do not miss them a bit with the PacerPoles. The grips are soooo comfortable and the palm/heel of your hand is a much stronger contact point to place the stress of transferring the power than to have it pulling up on the wrist.

Quote Originally Posted by highway View Post
    I am not convinced that Pacer Pole even wants a larger share of the market.
    That makes no sense. Why wouldn't they want a larger share of the market? It seems they need a better distributor - although I imagine that the specialty outdoor retailers must be aware of the product and concluded either that their customer interest just wasn't there or the product could not be produced in adequate quantities. I still can't get past the silly "Its not just a stick - its a Walking System" marketing-speak on their web site, but its the twist lock design that makes them a non-starter for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore View Post
    That makes no sense. Why wouldn't they want a larger share of the market? It seems they need a better distributor - although I imagine that the specialty outdoor retailers must be aware of the product and concluded either that their customer interest just wasn't there or the product could not be produced in adequate quantities. I still can't get past the silly "Its not just a stick - its a Walking System" marketing-speak on their web site, but its the twist lock design that makes them a non-starter for me.
    Resistance to increasing marketshare is not uncommon in specialized manufacturing. There can be a lot of reasons for that resistance, for example it could be they got into a bind with a retailer supply commitment and were sued or are not able to meet the demands of a third party seller in other countries. There may be some brand cache when requiring overseas purchasing/shipping to acquire the product or other marketing nuance I am missing as well.

It may be even more simple in that the manufacturer sees little value in expanding marketshare through third party retailers and prefers the predictable annual volume that requires a set number of employees and known level of resource funding to meet. While it does require consumers wanting their product to work a bit for it, it does simplify the business model.

Bottom line is, if you want their product you have to go across the pond to get it, which for a lot of folks could be a deterrent that the manufacturer may count on to a degree.
    Last edited by Traveler; 01-11-2017 at 09:28.

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    Resistance to increasing marketshare is not uncommon in specialized manufacturing. There can be a lot of reasons for that resistance, for example it could be they got into a bind with a retailer supply commitment and were sued or are not able to meet the demands of a third party seller in other countries. There may be some brand cache when requiring overseas purchasing/shipping to acquire the product or other marketing nuance I am missing as well.

It may be even more simple in that the manufacturer sees little value in expanding marketshare through third party retailers and prefers the predictable annual volume that requires a set number of employees and known level of resource funding to meet. While it does require consumers wanting their product to work a bit for it, it does simplify the business model.

Bottom line is, if you want their product you have to go across the pond to get it, which for a lot of folks could be a deterrent that the manufacturer may count on to a degree.
    Being afraid of being too successful is pretty far-fetched - are they in business to make money or to enhance the hiking experience? Why not do both - make money by enhancing the hiking experience? It's a hypothetical, but tell me with a straight face that if Black Diamond thought this could be a breakthrough bestseller and offered PP a couple of million to buy the company or just to license the IP, they'd say no. Not likely, but if they are purists, they'll remain a well-loved but niche product known and used by very few people. And if that's what they want, that's absolutely their right - but I doubt it. I think you have a great point with the whole cachet idea, though. After all, they are not trekking poles, but a walking system, as the web site says.

Would they work as tent poles? it seems like that would be a problem for people who uses the trekking poles and tent poles.

Quote Originally Posted by highway View Post
    My observation is that who use lekis just kind of drag them along, planting pole tip with each step and serve little useful purpose other than save one from an occasional stumble. Pacerpoles, with their ergonomic hand grip allow you to walk and push away on each step, helping you to move further, faster and is an immense help on the uphills, transferring part of each step in the uphill motion to arms and shoulders. Until you try it you want believe it.
    Who ever said that feet need to be in perfect sync with pole plants?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by SkeeterPee View Post
    Would they work as tent poles? it seems like that would be a problem for people who uses the trekking poles and tent poles.
    Been using mine as my tent/tarp poles for over a decade - not a problem.

And today's news is: pacer poles now come with the lever locking system ( http://sectionhiker.com/).

I purchased my first set of pacer poles last year to replace my black diamond poles and couldn't be happier. Pacer poles encourage, almost mandate, proper back alignment when walking. No more swinging your arms forward and therefore rounding your back to plant your poles. A very simple wrist movement and your poles are ready to plant. With pacer poles, which are very simple to use properly, your head, neck, and upper torso are almost always centered over your hips reducing, perhaps eliminating, pressure on your lower back.
    If I was young I could go back to walking with my upper torso ahead of my hips, my lower back could, and did, take the strain. But I'm 65 and its not gonna happen. But even if I was young I would still want them.

Pacer poles can be used to set up some, perhaps not all, tents. Check with your tent manufacture or check the tent reviews on sectionhiker.com. sectionhiker.com is a great web site. Very honest and knowledgeable reviews, IMO.
    Some people take the small elastic strap off the pacer pole handles. I keep them on just to pick up the pole when one falls to the ground.
    In short pacer poles are great they have no peer in my opinion.

Great to see so many use Pacer Poles. I had no idea. I stumbled upon them about a year ago somewhere on the internet and bought a pair to try them out.

Last winter I injured my right knee on a hike and it has been bothering me for a while before it healed. But nothing it 100%. I still feel the knee at some angles and at some activities.

So I tried the Pacer Poles. I'm not entirely convinced they helped with the healing to my knee but I can say they provided additional morale boost. :-)

Grips : At the beginning the grips felt a bit weird but I got used to them after two hikes and have to say I do like the poles. Especially enjoyed the grips around winter temperatures as they seem to run warmer than traditional grips.

Usage: Glad to see they work fine with tarps. I don't recall using them yet (I carry a pair of thin carbon poles specifically for tarps) so I'm glad to see they work fine.

One usage I am not sure about and have to say I haven't even tried is backcountry skiing. Has anyone tried that?
    Let me go

Leki Super Makalu - try them, and you'll never go back to anything else. Cork handles at the right angle & adjustable shock/springs.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

I've always been intrigued by PacerPoles, but have used Leki's since 2002 on my section hikes. I now have the Super Makalu's with cork handles which I prefer over the black foam handles on my prior Leki poles as my hands don't seem to sweat as much.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Die hard Leki fan

May have to check out PP since they appear to be pretty popular!

Another cool thing about Lekis - I needed a replacement spreader, I went to REI and EMS, they gave me a bunch of runaround and wrong parts. I called Leki, immediately got right through to a person, who immediately knew the size of the spreaders I needed off the top of her head.

i used leki´s for more than 35 years. same pair! cimbed denali and aconcagua with them and they hiked 2/3 of the at with me. nothing came even close all the years.

last year i have tried the pacerpoles and after getting used to them i never used the leki´s again. pacerpoles rock!

its different than hiking with wristloops and i had to adjust my ways of handling the poles. i love the fact, that the poles make you walk more upright, giving you more air and views. i dont sweat on the handles, i dont miss the wristloops a bit. with the neopren"overmits" you dont need gloves down to -5°celsius (or lower if you are used to it). the quality is superb, service ecellent with same day/evening response.

hope its my last pair of hiking poles. i am sure my lekis could have been that pair as well if i had not run into the pacerpoles.
    happy trails
    lucky luke

Quote Originally Posted by lucky luke View Post
    hope its my last pair of hiking poles. i am sure my lekis could have been that pair as well if i had not run into the pacerpoles.
    I was given a used pair of Pacer Poles and both my wife and I love them! I agree with Lucky Luke’s comments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

I sorta go hybrid - I have the cane-style Lekis that I can use like a Pacer Pole, and I get the Leki quality, service and guarantee.

https://www.leki.com/us/trekking/pol...eedlock/?c=708

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++