WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Erwin to Hot Springs - Current Trail Info?

I will be hiking from Erwin to Hot Springs in a few weeks. Just looking for any current trail info that folks are willing to share about this section. I know it's still a bit away and hard to tell, but if anyone has been in the area, I would love to hear reports on things such as:

Trail conditions
    Temperatures (daily & nightly)
    Water Sources
    Bugs
    Bears/Critter problems in any of the area's

Also, I know it is getting late in the season for thru's to be in this area, but I also know that there are still going to be some stragglers, or later starters...

Also, are there any areas in this section that are just mind-blowing? Great camp spots worth staying at over others? (And as a foot note too, we will be hanging on this trip.)

Thanks for any info provided!
    ...take nothing but memories and pictures, leave nothing but footprints, and kill only time... (Bette Filley in Discovering the Wonders of the Wonderland Trail)

Images

I've hiked this section before and live up here now. It has been extremely hot for this early in the summer. We have had consistent afternoon thunderstorms and a pretty good amount of rain in June so I bet the water sources are still good. Maybe somebody else has been through there lately.

@2NewKnees, thanks for the info! It has been pretty similar her where I am... super hot with random thunderstorms... it looks like it will cool off a little starting this weekend... anyway, thank again for the info!

Anyone else currently have anything to report from this area?
    ...take nothing but memories and pictures, leave nothing but footprints, and kill only time... (Bette Filley in Discovering the Wonders of the Wonderland Trail)

I'm planning the same hike...sort of. Hot Springs to Sam's. Looks like the first 15ish miles out of Hot Springs can get pretty dry.

I did Sam's Gap to HS in early June, southbound. You are correct. I chose not to fill up at the pond just past Tanyard Gap and regretted it. I had to nurse the last 5 miles or so on a hot day and about 5oz. of water. It was a long dry walk into Hot Springs. Especially with the last mile being right beside the flowing French Broad River. I use Chlorine Dioxide, so by the time the water was treated, I would have been in town. Manage you water is that stretch conservatively.

@Emerson Bigills, thanks for the info! I will make a note of getting water at the pond as we will also be headed SOBO. According to a profile map I generally use there notes a spring a little over a mile south of the pond, and there is also a note that there is water at Lover's Leap which is 1.3 miles from Hot Springs. I figure this is the water you speak of?

@Toga, sounds great! Maybe we will see each other on the trail! Hope you have a great hike!

I will be in Hot springs next week. I'll report back if I hear anything critical.

In fact,I believe it is your few videos I have been watching about the i40-Hot Springs section I will do next week.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

I'm hiking Erwin to Devil's Fork Gap this weekend so I'll let you know about the first half of your hike.

Just FYI, if you're hiking south you can cut off around 7 miles and walk in the last few miles by a creek by taking the Roundtop Ridge Trail which is the old AT from the 70's. It's a very pleasant hike on smooth trail, all downhill for several miles, into Hot Springs - you can still see some faded white blazes.

There's also a spring on Rich Mountain, right around the side trail up to the firetower that's always reliable so far for me.

Journal Entries
    Images

I hiked from Devil Fork Gap to Tanyard Gap last week. The trail between there Jerry's Cabin was pretty miserable and in bad shape. Several spots that are extremely muddy.There must have been a recent relocation right after Flint Gap to Shelton Graves because my GPS was showing me being off-trail. Theer is a meadow you have to cross before you get to Jerry Cabin where the grass is damn near shoulder-high (I'm 5'10"). The water at Jerry's Cabin was flowing pretty well. As you cross the road at Allen Gap, there's a little store about .2 miles (on the NC side) called Mom's. They have cold water, Powerade, sodas, and a few Little Debbies junk food snacks if you need the calories. The water at Spring Mountain Shelter was barely a trickle, and the people camping with me up there had to use a cup to scoop it out. Also, if you're allergic to poison ivy beware- it is ALL OVER the place. I remember that section being about the worst I've walked so far. EDIT- if the weather is nice, take the trail straight up Big Firescald Knob. Very rocky with one part you actually need to climb with your hands, but an interesting and scenic route. If the weather looks threatening, take the blue blaze bypass.
    Last edited by JumpMaster Blaster; 06-27-2015 at 09:56.
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

I live in Erwin, hike a lot between Erwin and roan mtn...it's a nice section, a little higher elevation so a wee bit cooler, usually. But if you are definitely doing hot springs to Erwin, last year at least there was quite the active bear at the spring mtn shelter, not aggressive, just not shy about being there. also lots of overgrowth and nettles on the trail by early July. That's about all I can offer. Have fun!

Sent from my XT1019 using Tapatalk

@Wyker, looking forward to the report back, and hope my videos have been useful for you!

@10K, looking forward to your report back too! Also, I am hiking SOBO, so I will keep the side trail in mind... at that point, my son may appreciate it... lol. As for the side trail (Roundtop Ridge Trail), is it pretty easy to follow? And how long is the trail from the AT to Hot Springs? Also, where about in Hot Springs does it come out? Also, I am debating camping at Rich Mtn one night since the guides/maps note that there is a view and water as well as camping here. How is the camping here (we will be in hammocks most likely)?

@Jumpmaster Blaster, thanks for the intel! It looks like there is a climb (heading SOBO) from Flint Mtn to Shelton Gravesite, so did they add some switchback in? Would make sense due to the climb... That is great to hear about the water at Jerry's Cabin too, thanks! And the store at Allen Gap, the real gem! It will be nice to stop in for a cold drink... just to be clear, since I will be heading SOBO, and you say it's on the NC side, I will follow the road to my left to get to the store? You wouldn't happen to know how late they are open though would you? (I ask because I don't see it marked in my (older) guides/maps.)

@hayeskw, I am glad to hear that it is typically little cooler (it has been dang hot lately!) I will make note of the bear activity too, so thanks for that info. I don't plan to stay at that shelter, but not too far from it at Rich Mtn... We should be pretty much on empty (on food) by that point though, so hopefully it won't be bad, although, we will still take precautions and hang all of our smellables!

Also, for those that have been/will be in the area, how about just random water sources while walking along? I know that not every stream is listed, but so far along the AT it is not uncommon to come along lots of little random streams too... how about these in this section? Would anyone say that there is some here?

Thanks again everyone, I appreciate all the info, and looking forward to the hike... coming up soon...!

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by STICK View Post

@10K, looking forward to your report back too! Also, I am hiking SOBO, so I will keep the side trail in mind... at that point, my son may appreciate it... lol. As for the side trail (Roundtop Ridge Trail), is it pretty easy to follow? And how long is the trail from the AT to Hot Springs? Also, where about in Hot Springs does it come out? Also, I am debating camping at Rich Mtn one night since the guides/maps note that there is a view and water as well as camping here. How is the camping here (we will be in hammocks most likely)?
    I just got back from hiking Devil's Fork Gap to Erwin. Stinging nettles are everywhere.. Water was not an issue - Bald Mountain Shelter and the source for No Business Knob was flowing strong. Lots of streams, springs, and seeps in this section. Trail is in good condition and clear - TEHCC has been doing a lot of trail maintenance.

The Roundtop Ridge Trail breaks off to the right (going SOBO on the AT) on Rich Mountain. There used to be a carsonite trail sign at the intersection. It's on the AT maps and I'd guess you could google it. It's super easy to follow - the trail comes out at the water tank above the city. You can see the town - just follow the road from the water tank into town.

There's a big camping area at the spring on Rich Mountain - plenty of places to hang a hammock.
    Last edited by 10-K; 06-28-2015 at 16:42.

10-K, thanks again! We will be on the lookout for the stinging nettles, and it's really great to hear about the water, I appreciate it. Thanks again for the info on the Roundtop Trail too, and I am really glad to hear about the camping area at Rich Mtn... now if the weather will just cooperate!

++ New Posts ++