WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Looks Like the Snow is Gone!

If I'm reading the following page correctly, there is no snow left on the CT and that should mean that it's safe to start: [http://www.coloradotrail.org/snowandweather.html] (And if I'm not reading it correctly, they should do a better job formatting their weather data.) I'm taking it as an indication that now's the time. I have a few last-minute things to handle and then I'm going to get my ass out there and see what the fuss is about.

In the shadow of Segments 22 and 23 between Lake City & Silverton.

There is still snow on the trail (at least the San Juan's). The areas around where I live with over waist deep a week ago are now knee high and melting fast. It's passable, but still some postholing and challenging areas. Lots of mud and very high creeks and rivers. Ron

Images

the SNOTEL reports are for "snowpack" and really don't indicate the leftover annoying patchy stuff, and there sure is lots and lots of that around. A week ago, a trailjournals report:

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=500804

basically indicated sections 6-10 were "impassable". But that was a week ago, and it has been very warm up there this last week, plus if you started now (in section 3) it would be ~4 more days before you got to section 6 (sections 1-5 are mostly clear, though there is some stuff in section 4 as of last weekend), so I'm thinking for those starting today/tomorrow you have a fighting chance of getting through the leftover, nasty, dirty, post-holey mess of leftover snow.

My experience has been 7-14 days after Fremont Pass SNOTEL becomes zeroed out that segments 6-8 become passable for "summer hiking conditions". Fremont zeroed out on 6/21 so that translates to 6/28-7/5 time period.
    Same 7-14 days applies to Red Mountain Pass SNOTEL for the western San Juan Mountains. RM zeroed out on 6/20 so that translates to 6/27-7/4. Slumgullion Pass SNOTEL is a good indicator of the Eastern San Juan Mountains and Southern Sawatch but it zeros out around 2-3 weeks prior to "summer hiking conditions". It zeroed out on 6/5 which puts you at around 6/19-26.

The SNOTEL sites always zero out way before the CT is clear of snow. Last year, I went through Segments 6-8 around a week after Fremont Pass zeroed out and although passable there were large snow slides to cross in some areas. Nothing overly difficult, but it slows you down. I have been transporting many CDT hikers off the San Juan's the past 10 days and there comments are consistent with the above.

Ron

I don't understand, then. I'm looking at the CT Website's page for snow and they say zero inches. Is that the "SNOTEL" page? Is there some other thing I should be looking at? But I think even if I left today (which I'm not ready to do) I'd hit your dates. The 7/4 date is for Slumgullion area which is segment 22 I think?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by newToThrough View Post
    I don't understand, then. I'm looking at the CT Website's page for snow and they say zero inches. Is that the "SNOTEL" page? Is there some other thing I should be looking at?
    Yeah, again, look at actual reports of conditions, like trailjournals or 14ers.com; SJRon summarizes it nicely about "snow levels" as reported on the CTF page. Some buddies of mine cancelled their "Nolan's 14" attempt this weekend because of existing snow in the Sawatch range (SNOTEL reports 0 inches), right where you'll hit around day 7-8 or so.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Yeah, again, look at actual reports of conditions, like trailjournals or 14ers.com; SJRon summarizes it nicely about "snow levels" as reported on the CTF page. Some buddies of mine cancelled their "Nolan's 14" attempt this weekend because of existing snow in the Sawatch range (SNOTEL reports 0 inches), right where you'll hit around day 7-8 or so.
    Can you explain a bit more? I don't understand how looking at 14ers.com helps to know what's up with the CT. I don't know Colorado geography. Is the thing to do to look at every map for every mountain name and try to correlate the two? Also: why would the ColoradoTrail website put up data that isn't complete or is misleading?

The best source of info has been the Colorado Trail Foundation's FACEBOOK page. Read through that info.

https://www.facebook.com/ColoradoTra...dation?fref=ts

Quote Originally Posted by AZ_Astro View Post
    The best source of info has been the Colorado Trail Foundation's FACEBOOK page. Read through that info. https://www.facebook.com/ColoradoTra...dation?fref=ts
    No Facebook for me, but I appreciate the suggestion. I never touch the stuff.

Images

Can you explain a bit more? I don't understand how looking at 14ers.com helps to know what's up with the CT. I don't know Colorado geography. Is the thing to do to look at every map for every mountain name and try to correlate the two? Also: why would the ColoradoTrail website put up data that isn't complete or is misleading?
    Yeah, the CTF link is a bit misleading, but what are you going to do? The folks on 14ers.com climbing 14ers approach the Sawatch range 14ers in terrain that the CT passes through, that's why that site's "conditions reports" are relevant. Here is a snippet from the CTF facebook page talking about section 6; read it at your own peril!!!!

"CONDITIONS ON THE COLORADO TRAIL Segment 6 mile 12. Photo on the Kenosha side of Georgia Pass by CT Trekking Manager, Chris "Zeck" Sczcech on June 15. Thru-hiker Kat Jimenez hiked the entire Segment 6 (exhausting but she made it through) and wrote: I started The Colorado Trail on Wednesday, June 10. Segments 1-5 are clear of snow with a significant portion of the trail covered in running snow melt (cold water streams). I just came off Segment 6 (Kenosha Pass to Gold Hill TH) this morning, Monday, June 15. Georgia Pass has serious snow. I would not recommend attempting Georgia Pass unless you have navigational skills and experience in snow travel. Expect the entire trail to be covered in snow above 11,000 feet. I made it up to Georgia Pass by following the post holes of 3 trail runners. Without their steps to follow I would have turned back- mainly because it's extremely tiring postholing through miles of snow, especially deep and troublesome on the Breckenridge side of Georgia Pass (north facing and in the shade). I'm going to take a few days off before attempting Segment 7. I wish I had had the energy to take photo of the drift that I climbed that was seven feet tall."

That was as of a week ago, and if someone started the CT this morning at section 3, it would be 4 days or so before reaching section 6, meaning 11 days after this report, still kinda iffy IMHO, but with all the extremely warm weather we've had here lately (80's in the high country), I suspect things are improving nicely and those starting the trail say, a week from now, might very well be OK.

If you're unable/unwilling to use the Facebook page, contact the Colorado Trail Foundation directly. From their responses to others on the Facebook page, they seem more than willing to answer your questions or provide a trail conditions report for the sections you seek.

Just this morning, I had 2 more CDT hikers jump off the trail and take 4WD roads from Silverton to Lake City right in front of our house because of the snow. It is melting fast (it was 80 degrees here yesterday at 9500 feet elevation) but there is still snow above 11,500-12,000. Ron

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

From the CTF. Even if you aren't on facebook, the announcements are public and no FB account is needed to see it. They seem to have excellent info.

https://www.facebook.com/ColoradoTrailFoundation

SNOW BUZZ on The Colorado Trail as of Mon, June 22.
    • high CT elevations still have snow (say above 11,500 feet)
    • deeper (& lower elev) snow north-facing slopes esp. in trees
    • snow buzz based on user reports (thanks for reporting)
    • mostly by full segments
    • creeks rushing
    • expect downed trees, CTF volunteers hustling
    • CLOSURE UPDATES phone CTF (tel # see “About” tab)

• Seg 1 Waterton Canyon CLOSED (high water S Platte River)
    • Seg 1-2 boundary CLOSED at Gudy Gaskill Bridge
    • Seg 1-5 clear of snow
    • Seg 6 arduous passable, post-hole snow still maybe 2 miles
    • Seg 7-9 impassable, high elev long sections of snow
    • Seg 10 passable, snow sections navigable & trudgeable
    • Seg 11 clear of snow
    • Seg 12 passable with little snow remaining
    • Seg 13 likely becoming passable, remaining snow melting fast
    • Seg 14 clear of snow
    • Seg 15 high elev reportedly becoming passable
    • Seg 16-17 guessing they’re becoming passable (no reports)
    • Seg 18-19 clear of snow
    • Seg 19 Cochetopa Creek rushing, ford carefully (~ crotch deep)
    • Seg 20-27 snow stretches lengthy & reportedly deep still
    • Seg 28 (see elev profile) high elevations not yet passable
    • Seg CW01 passable, little snow remaining even on Hope Pass
    • CW Seg 02 high elevations not passable
    • CW Seg 02 Texas Creek rushing & deep (no bridge anymore) fording reportedly dangerous
    • CW Seg 03 Cottonwood Pass to Tincup Rd not passable, long stretches deep snow
    • CW Seg 04-05 guessing high elev not passable yet
    Last edited by Mags; 06-22-2015 at 14:21.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

I don't much care for Facebook either. But you don't need to join just to read. That page has the most up to date and pertinent info available.

For the facebook adverese (which, again, no FB account is needed)

SNOW BUZZ on The Colorado Trail as of Mon, June 29, 2015.
    • high CT elevations still have snow (± 12,000 feet)
    • WooHoo!!...most of the CT (incl. Collegiate East) now passable
    • Collegiate West still impassable due to remaining snowpack
    • creeks are rushing (dangerous fords info below)
    • diminishing # of downed trees thanks to CTF VOLUNTEERS...WooHoo!!
    • ZERO CLOSURES RIGHT NOW
    • Seg 1 Waterton Canyon reopened
    • Seg 1-2 boundary reopened
    • Seg 1-5 clear, no snow
    • Seg 6 passable, snow remaining getting hiker friendly
    • Seg 7-9 passable, short sections snow remaining not too deep
    • Seg 10-14 nearly clear, little snow reportedly easily passable
    • Seg 15 high elev reportedly becoming passable
    • Seg 16-17 passable, little/no snow remaining
    • Seg 18-19 clear of snow
    • Seg 19 Cochetopa Creek rushing, ford carefully (~ crotch deep)
    • Seg 20-27 passable now, short stretches shallow snow
    • Seg 28 passable
    • CT COLLEGIATE WEST NOT FULLY PASSABLE
    • CT Collegiate West likely passable by July 15
    • Seg CW01 passable, nearly no snow
    • CW Seg 02 high elevations not passable
    • CW Seg 02 Texas Creek fording reportedly dangerous, deep & swift
    • CW Seg 03 Cottonwood Pass to Tincup Rd not passable
    • CW Seg 04-05 guessing high elev becoming passable
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

Good info Mags, thanks.

I've dropped off 4 parties so far at Waterton, with a whole bunch more next week, all should be good! Except it's damn hot out there.... 95 right now, one guy just started hiking about 45 minutes ago in Waterton...

I'm hitting the Collegiate West in a few weeks (was going to be two weeks, but I think I'll delay a week) heading NOBO, just the CW, not the loop, maybe I'll see some CT starters heading SWBO.

I have friends starting today. My first thoughts were how hot and exposed it would be in Waterton Canyon as well. Yowsers....
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

The GF and I are going out this weekend and doing Buffalo Creek Trailhead to Kenosha Pass. We had been debating what portion to do - Waterton Canyon was pretty much nixed form the beginning.

Looks like there will be a few others out on the trail.
    2005 SOBO Attempt (500 miles)
    2024 (?) SOBO Planning

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bluegrass View Post
    The GF and I are going out this weekend and doing Buffalo Creek Trailhead to Kenosha Pass. We had been debating what portion to do - Waterton Canyon was pretty much nixed form the beginning.

Looks like there will be a few others out on the trail.
    Just a thought.... why not Kenosha to Buffalo creek? Sections 4/5 are excellent sections and mostly bike-free (because of the Lost Creek wilderness in section 4, and what biker wants to cruise down 5 and turn around?). Sections 2/3 will be heavy with mountain bikes over the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Just a thought.... why not Kenosha to Buffalo creek? Sections 4/5 are excellent sections and mostly bike-free (because of the Lost Creek wilderness in section 4, and what biker wants to cruise down 5 and turn around?). Sections 2/3 will be heavy with mountain bikes over the weekend.
    I am confused - our plan is that segment (Buffalo Creek to Kenosha Pass). Or are you asking why we are not going the other direction?

Your thoughts would be appreciated on which direction to do Buffalo Creek <-> Kenosha Pass. Right now I think we are going to do Kenosha -> Buffalo Creek, since it will be easier for our shuttle to get home from Kenosha (and leaving the car at Buffalo Creek will probably be easier).
    2005 SOBO Attempt (500 miles)
    2024 (?) SOBO Planning

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++