WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default First time in Pennsylvania, have one night, where to go outside of Philly?

Howdy...not sure if this is the right forum...I'm flying to Philly for a business trip and I gave myself an extra night. I'm done with work at 6pm on Wednesday and I have till 5pm on Thursday before I fly out.

I've been hiking all over Washington state, but I've never been on the AT. Can someone recommend a small section of the AT that's less than 2 hours away from Philly. I'll probably hammock at the trailhead and do an early morning hike before catching my flight back home.

Thanks!

Mmmmm, the trail is not really very close to Phila at all.
    I'm assuming you're going to rent a car.
    From the airport?
    If you take the blue route (I 76???) north to the Northeast extension of the PA turnpike, you can get near Lehigh gap which is a very interesting mountain climb northbound from there.
    But, that is a lot of driving, in traffic, just to do a small section of trail.
    This would be near Palmerton on a map and right near where the trail actually crosses the PA turnpike northeastern's extension I believe.

Maybe someone will pipe in with a better idea but, Phila traffic is not so good, especially at 6 PM.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Journal Entries

From the map linked below, it appears that you have lots of choices. (It's about an hour from Philadelphia to Allentown.) I have not hiked the area near Allentown, but I think it includes the notorious Lehigh Gap, a steep rocky unpleasant climb. I know the area a little west of Port Clinton is pleasant.
    Generally speaking, the AT through Pennsylvania follows low flat rocky ridges, with steep-ish dips at road/river crossings. The locals can advise you better than I.
    http://www.appalachiantrail.org/hiki...nteractive-map

You could look at the AT near Hamburg. There is the Pinnacle and Pulpit overlooks...and some of the rocks that Pa is known for. You can do a pretty easy 10 mile loop in the area or even extend it if you want a longer hike using some of the other side trails.

Images

When I used to live in the general Philly area, I would often head out to the "Blue Rocks Campground" north of Reading/Hamburg area. The campground itself is a very nice private campground that offers fairly rustic sites with most of the amenities you would expect. They offer overnight parking for hikers (at least they used to) for a reasonable fee. They also maintained two trails, one ran out of the campground and joined the AT just a stones throw south of the Pinnacle, the other left the AT near Pulpit Rock and returned to the Campground. This made a one or two night loop which included a very nice portion of the AT. I often spent a couple of days on this loop. Highly recommended.

http://www.bluerockscampground.com/

Upon re-reading your original post, I see you only have Wed evening and Thur daytime to do all your travel and hiking. I think the AT, anywhere, might be a push. Have you considered the New Jersey Pine Barrens? They are a little over an hour outside of Philly and offer some nice hiking. Would probably have to be an out and back hike. Pretty unique area, but not mountains.

http://www.pineypower.com/geninfopbpg10.html

http://www.backpacker.com/trips/new-...ate-forest-nj/

http://www.nynjtc.org/park/batona-trail
    Last edited by Lyle; 06-20-2015 at 07:17.

Brewmaster, Pizza Chef
    Images

I agree that it's a lot of driving for not a lot of hiking. But if you want to set foot on the trail I'd recommend driving to Delaware Water Gap (1hour 51min from philly airport according to Google) and hiking up Mt Minsi. There are some great views along the 2 or 2.5 miles up, and if you're pressed for time you can take the forest road shortcut back down to the parking area.
    Everything is easy until you do it.

Journal Entries
    Images

I suggest you hike in Wissahickon or possibly Valley Forge. Check meet up or outdoors.org for hikes in the area. For meet up check outdoor club of south jersey and Appalachian mountain club Delaware Valley. I live in south jersey and think pine barons is too far away as is the Batona Trail (40 miles one way). I agree with the recommendation about Water Gap but Wissahickon is part of the city and has a variety of trails and would be closer. Right now those clubs don't list anything for Thursday but that could change. Have fun.

Another suggestion would be French Creek State Park. Wissahicken and Valley Forge have a varity of trails but nowhere to hammock. French Creek State Park is about 55 miles from Philly and about an hour and ten minutes from downtown Philadelphia and does have campsites and a mix of trails. There is a section of the Horse-Shoe Trail at French Creek. The H-ST runs from Valley Forge Park to the AT. You may even experience some of our famous rocks!

http://www.midatlantichikes.com/pulpitrock-pinnacle.htm

Pulpit Rock and Pinnacle offer great views. There is even a small cave under the Pinnacle. Crowded on weekends.

I would say shoot for the Pinnacle and Pulpit Rock if you can swing it, but as mentioned the Wissahickon has a lot to offer. We used to live a block off the park. You can do a really nice loop from Valley Green Inn up to the Indian and back the other side. In the park you easily forget that you are in city limits!

I live in the area and would definitely recommend the Pinnacle and Pulpit Rock. You are mid week so it will avoid the crowd. Anything else is frankly too far of a drive and while Wissahickon is nice, it won't have the view form Pinnacle or Pulpit. Do those.

If you are going to the trail, it is worth it to try Lehigh Gap. Go north on the turnpike extension to the Allentown exit (about 45-50 minutes), go east on Route 22 to the 7th Street exit for Allentown, then go north on 7th St/route 145 to Lehigh Gap (about 35 minutes). Climb Lehigh Gap on the AT on the east side of the gap, then take the Winter Trail (blue blazed) back down to the parking lot. Takes about three hours total and the winter trail is an easy route down, much easier than the climb up.

Eastern State Penitentiary
    Independence Hall
    Rodin Museum
    Statue of Rocky

Eastern State Penitentiary
    Independence Hall
    Rodin Museum
    Statue of Rocky

++ New Posts ++