WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Journal Entries

Do your best not to set up under dead tree or dead limbs, or where an obviously leaning tree or snag may fall.

Then hope for the best.

Reality is......trees and limbs fall all the time in the woods, and there isnt a lot you can do about it. Chances are very slim it will happen to you. It DOES happen to people from time to time though.

You can accept the risk, or stay home. Not much in-between.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Listen as well as look. I often hear widowmakers rubbing and creaking overhead before I see them.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Easiest way to avoid widow makers? Don't get married.

I had to walk thru this area in Maine on a very windy day and I heard a lot of rubbing and creaking...very unnerving. http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/file...9_original.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by pauly_j View Post
    Easiest way to avoid widow makers? Don't get married.
    Damn good advice

Default Widowmakers

FWIW I agree with this University of Maine definition: Widowmakers are trees with broken or dead limbs or dead trees hung up in other trees that may fall on you

The first thing I look for is dead branches already on the ground, indicating more may fall. Then I look for dead branches above the campsite, or weak, dead trees within falling distance. The windier it is the more careful I try to be.

The overall danger is very low, but it's worth taking simple precautions.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    Carrying a small radio helps on a backpacking trip as when it pings with wind or tornado warnings you can pack up and move to a safer spot.

One time I was on a Tennessee ridge at 3,500 feet and my radio reported "100mph winds coming east from the Nashville area" and it spooked me so I packed up in the dark at 8pm and hiked 2 miles down 2,000 feet to a creek valley and avoided the hell storm.

Another time in April 2011 our area got hit with a series of tornadoes and I was atop Flats Mt at 4,000 feet and so knowing what was coming I bailed about 8 or 10 miles to Bald River valley and set up next to this rock ledge which would protect me from falling trees.

Another technique is to set up next to a big blowdown which offers some protection from falling trees and gives you a couple feet of headroom if a tree falls and strikes on top of the blowdown.
    Wow - these are some really good ideas!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++