WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Wayah Bald to Fontana Dam

Hi all. My family and I ( 5 adults) have decided that we want to hike Wayah Bald to Fontana Dam in September. We are planning to meet Saturday and start on a Sunday getting off the following Saturday camp around Fontana Dam somewhere and then head home. This is our first time on the trail and are looking for advice on how far to go each day, tent sites, water, parking at both locations (so we don't have to get a shuttle) etc... I have the AT through hikers companion and got a lot of information from it but first hand advice is always nice to have. l believe it would be a nice hike. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Journal Entries

According to www.atdist.com, that's only about 45 miles. From your post, it appears you'll be hiking a minimum of 5 full days with a partial day at each end - so we'll call it 6 days. That works out to only about 7.5 miles per day. Depending on your condition/experience/equipment, etc, that may be a perfect distance. If you think it might be too few miles, consider going the other way so you can more easily extend the hike if you wish (it can get complicated trying to extend into the Smokies - permits, reservations).

Plenty of parking at Fontana Dam. Not familiar with parking at Wayah Bald, but as I recall, there was a paved road to the top of the mountain, so maybe some parking nearby? Sounds like you plan to have two vehicles, so that should work out well.

The Companion is a good resource, but don't feel you must adhere to only those campsites listed. Within reason, you can camp wherever you can find suitable terrain.

Enjoy your hike, and

I think you will have easier car access if you start at Winding Stair Gap instead of Wayah Bald. Just my opinion. Some steep climbs and down hills along this section, especially around the NOC.

++ New Posts ++