WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Registered User BenOnAdventures's Avatar
    Images

Default I'm planning on thru hiking after graduation, any advice on NOBO vs SOBO?

Hey everyone I graduate early in May next year and am planning on thru hiking the AT, I was debating whether to go NOBO or SOBO. Any advice would be gladly accepted. Thanks!
    Feel free to connect with me on Twitter @BenOnAdventures

Do a flip flop starting in Harpers Ferry. Early May is too soon to go SOBO and a little late to go NOBO, but starting in the middle is pretty much ideal for that time of year. The flip-flop hike is also being heavily promoted to reduce the stress of large numbers starting at Springer in the spring, which could be of record numbers next year due to the "Walk in the woods" movie.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Do a flip flop starting in Harpers Ferry. Early May is too soon to go SOBO and a little late to go NOBO, but starting in the middle is pretty much ideal for that time of year. The flip-flop hike is also being heavily promoted to reduce the stress of large numbers starting at Springer in the spring, which could be of record numbers next year due to the "Walk in the woods" movie.
    Well you see, I do have the option to go SOBO, like I could wait a month until after I graduate. What do you think about that? Also thanks for the advice

Journal Entries

Do what appeals to you most. It will be personal preference, dictated by other factors in your life. You CAN start NOBO in May, you will behind the bubble, and thats not a bad thing. It still gives you 5 months. Many can do it. Some cant. Depends largely on shape and pack weight.

You have an 80% chance of not making it all the way anyway, so dont put the cart before the horse. Just put on a pack, and start walking. If you make it to HF, you will have planned out what you want to do from there. You have a lot of time to do nothing but think.

Images

Don't forget to consider the difficulty of a SoBo start. Katahdin and the 100 mile wilderness are extremely challenging, and if you are not in optimum shape you will have a better chance of finishing a NoBo or Flipflop.
    Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. -Kahlil Gibran

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Do what appeals to you most. It will be personal preference, dictated by other factors in your life. You CAN start NOBO in May, you will behind the bubble, and thats not a bad thing. It still gives you 5 months. Many can do it. Some cant. Depends largely on shape and pack weight.

You have an 80% chance of not making it all the way anyway, so dont put the cart before the horse. Just put on a pack, and start walking. If you make it to HF, you will have planned out what you want to do from there. You have a lot of time to do nothing but think.
    Thanks for the advice! I appreciate it. I'm in good shape and my pack weight wouldn't be too much. Also I don't care about that 80 percent chance of not making it statistic, that's just a number that has no relation to me in any shape or form, stay positive! Who cares about stuff like that! But thanks anyways its great hearing advice, feel free to add me!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by chiefduffy View Post
    Don't forget to consider the difficulty of a SoBo start. Katahdin and the 100 mile wilderness are extremely challenging, and if you are not in optimum shape you will have a better chance of finishing a NoBo or Flipflop.
    I believe I'm in good shape now and I'm doing a lot of working out and training right now so I think I'd be fine. I love the idea of going SOBO, because either way you have to hit that 100 mile stretch anyways, why not get it out of the way first? Just thinking positive! Also feel free to add me!

Images

Get one of the thru-hiker guides, either the Companion or the AT Guide. It'll help with the planning process.

Maine and the rest of New England are very difficult even for experienced hikers. You're young, and you'll be fine, but don't underestimate it too much

One of the advantages of the Harper's Ferry nobo start is that you get to "finish" twice - once on Katahdin and once on Springer. You also hit Maine at the perfect time of year - late summer, rather than in June with bugs and high water.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

Quote Originally Posted by BenOnAdventures View Post
    I love the idea of going SOBO, because either way you have to hit that 100 mile stretch anyways, why not get it out of the way first?
    It sounds like you have already made your decision.

Just do not underestimate the rivers and hiking in Maine in June and you should be fine. Even those who are in good physical shape can psych themselves out by underestimating the hiking in Maine. The actual hiking is only half the battle. If you are looking to hike with others, and are not graduating until May, I would suggest a flip-flop hike.

"Who cares about stuff like that!"

It's reality dude, care about it. You have an 80% chance of being a section hiker (which is not so bad).

Images

Also I don't care about that 80 percent chance of not making it statistic, that's just a number that has no relation to me in any shape or form, stay positive! Who cares about stuff like that! But thanks anyways its great hearing advice, feel free to add me!
    It didn't feel like MuddyWaters was being in any way negative when he mentioned a very real statistic. He was presenting fact. If you choose to dismiss it because you feel it is negative and not something you want to dwell on, that is absolutely your choice. However, you can also take that information and absorb it and learn from it - Why is that number so high? What can I learn from this to decrease my odds of not completing my goal. That would then turn that information into something positive.

I don't mean this to sound harsh, but when you say things like "who cares about stuff like that," it comes off as arrogant and not in any way positive. Then adding "thanks anyway" right after that comment? Well, that kind of comes off as a tad dismissive.

Folks around here do know what they are talking about and they aren't always willing to sugarcoat it. You have two choices in these instances - You can listen and learn and turn that info into something positive, or you can dismiss it and take nothing away from the conversation. You won't always have upbeat days on the trail, but it is what you come away with from the overall experience that counts. Just like life.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat View Post
    It didn't feel like MuddyWaters was being in any way negative when he mentioned a very real statistic. He was presenting fact. If you choose to dismiss it because you feel it is negative and not something you want to dwell on, that is absolutely your choice. However, you can also take that information and absorb it and learn from it - Why is that number so high? What can I learn from this to decrease my odds of not completing my goal. That would then turn that information into something positive.

I don't mean this to sound harsh, but when you say things like "who cares about stuff like that," it comes off as arrogant and not in any way positive. Then adding "thanks anyway" right after that comment? Well, that kind of comes off as a tad dismissive.

Folks around here do know what they are talking about and they aren't always willing to sugarcoat it. You have two choices in these instances - You can listen and learn and turn that info into something positive, or you can dismiss it and take nothing away from the conversation. You won't always have upbeat days on the trail, but it is what you come away with from the overall experience that counts. Just like life.
    I was just making a point that that statistic has no correlation on me or involves me in any shape or form. Yeah the info as to why that statistic is the way it is but in all reality that statistic does not affect me at all.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by RockDoc View Post
    "Who cares about stuff like that!"

It's reality dude, care about it. You have an 80% chance of being a section hiker (which is not so bad).
    That stat does not affect or relate to me at all.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat View Post
    It sounds like you have already made your decision.

Just do not underestimate the rivers and hiking in Maine in June and you should be fine. Even those who are in good physical shape can psych themselves out by underestimating the hiking in Maine. The actual hiking is only half the battle. If you are looking to hike with others, and are not graduating until May, I would suggest a flip-flop hike.
    Thanks the advice is much appreciated! And my decision isn't fully made i'm just weighing all options

Images

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    Get one of the thru-hiker guides, either the Companion or the AT Guide. It'll help with the planning process.

Maine and the rest of New England are very difficult even for experienced hikers. You're young, and you'll be fine, but don't underestimate it too much

One of the advantages of the Harper's Ferry nobo start is that you get to "finish" twice - once on Katahdin and once on Springer. You also hit Maine at the perfect time of year - late summer, rather than in June with bugs and high water.
    Thanks your advice is greatly appreciated!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post

Thanks the advice is greatly appreciated!!

Images

Thanks for the advice! I appreciate it. I'm in good shape and my pack weight wouldn't be too much. Also I don't care about that 80 percent chance of not making it statistic, that's just a number that has no relation to me in any shape or form, stay positive! Who cares about stuff like that! But thanks anyways its great hearing advice, feel free to add me!
    I was just making a point that that statistic has no correlation on me or involves me in any shape or form. Yeah the info as to why that statistic is the way it is but in all reality that statistic does not affect me at all.
    Most of the 80% who don't make it are in good shape, with lower pack weights, positive attitudes, blah, blah, blah - and many of them also don't believe that statistics include(d) them. You have been added - to the statistics. You'll figure it out, maybe . . .
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    Most of the 80% who don't make it are in good shape, with lower pack weights, positive attitudes, blah, blah, blah - and many of them also don't believe that statistics include(d) them. You have been added - to the statistics. You'll figure it out, maybe . . .
    You make me laugh, how can I be part of the stats if I haven't thru hiked the AT yet? So no I haven't been added. Those stats do not affect me at all.

That's like using plane, car or train crash stats to basically say don't travel in vehicles because of the crash rates. It's irrelevant and does not affect me.

Images

Or maybe not . . .
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Images

I completely understand what you were saying... It appears that you still have not absorbed what I was saying. You are looking at a piece of the puzzle, rather than the overall picture. There is a reason why the same information (you did solicit advice...) is being repeated. That must mean that it is important and WOULD pertain to you if you chose to undertake hiking the AT, as stated in your original post.

Your original request was for ANY ADVICE and that has been provided. The fact that you keep saying it doesn't pertain to you... Well, hindsight will most likely cause you to reassess that statement. If you come on a forum and solicit advice, you should listen to what is being said.

As for your statement of "weighing all the options." You do not come across as weighing any options than what you want to hear. The dismissive attitude and statements of "you make me laugh" when people take the time to respond will not get you the assistance you will need to have a successful hike.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++