WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Question Details of Long Distance Hiking Dogs

To those of you that have successfully completed at least one long distance hike with your dog or dogs, would you please be so kind as to take the time to share some information about your canine and any noteworthy observations you made along they way?

Age: ____________ Breed: _____________ Gender: ____________ Weight: ___________
    Canine Lifestyle at Home: __________________________________________________ ____
    Average MPD: ____________________
    Injuries/Complications: __________________________________________________ ______
    Physical and Mental State...
    Before the Hike: __________________________________________________ __________
    During the Hike: __________________________________________________ __________
    After the Hike: __________________________________________________ ___________
    Additional Comments: __________________________________________________ _______
    __________________________________________________ _________________________
    __________________________________________________ _________________________

I may have to go hunting elsewhere for this information. Oh well.

Journal Entries

Don't give up too quick. I haven't hiked with my dog, but several others have. Maybe they'd like to share.

Age: ______2______ Breed: __Siberian Huskey___________ Gender: __Female__________ Weight: ___55 before trip and 48.3 after________
    Canine Lifestyle at Home: ___________Hyper turned up to 11___________________________________________
    Average MPD: ___________15_________
    Injuries/Complications: _______Porcupine Quills in nose______________________________________________ ___
    Physical and Mental State...
    Before the Hike: _______Excelent___________________________________ __________________
    During the Hike: __________________Excelent down to great after wanting to play with the Porcupine_________________________________________ _
    After the Hike: __________________Back to 11___________________________________________
    Additional Comments: ______Sasha did great with our Snowshoe Hike last February in Northern Minneasota the hike was planned for 80 miles but I cut it short at mile 63 after Her injury. We managed to catch a ride with some Snowmobile trail riders (Thanks Mike, Sue and John again) back to our car. Sasha really liked the snow hike and she had a great time the only draw back was she was a little food protective when she got back with other dogs but after about a month she did not have any probliems. I will add she was tethered the entire time she was out with me and found the porcupine durring the night on her picket line

Thanks you, kjbrown, for taking the time to share. Nice and informative. Sorry your pup got a porcupine to the face.
    Hopefully more will jump in over the next few weeks, as I think it'll be great comparing the different cases.

You're right illabelle, I need to stay hopeful. I'll do my best.

I have a Mountain cur named Lilly who is doing 22 mile mtb rides like it's nothing..

Hiking to her is boring and she shoots all over the trail looking for poop to eat from god knows what.

Excellent trail dog, but loves everyone and is worthless for protection. Might bark if you scare her. Man's best friend for sure. Never on a leash. Never goes that far. Always a smile and a lick for everyone.

Watch this video..I spoke with him a while back...
    https://youtu.be/rn3dXsHoTkY

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oops...
    http://youtu.be/ee4FQ3PpY3g

Maybe now.....
    https://youtu.be/ee4FQ3PpY3g

Link not working...search Jamie berczel

Your Welcome Dogtra, Shasha was fine and I could have pulled out the quills on the trail and she would have been fine to keep going but I did not want to take the small chance for an infection. We went on a quick day hike again about 3 weeks ago for about 13 miles and she broke her leed and harness to chase a porky up a tree and got swatted again. $300 later at the vet and 2 weeks later she saw one on the same trail and hid behind me whining and did not want to go down the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by kjbrown View Post
    Your Welcome Dogtra, Shasha was fine and I could have pulled out the quills on the trail and she would have been fine to keep going but I did not want to take the small chance for an infection. We went on a quick day hike again about 3 weeks ago for about 13 miles and she broke her leed and harness to chase a porky up a tree and got swatted again. $300 later at the vet and 2 weeks later she saw one on the same trail and hid behind me whining and did not want to go down the trail.
    uploadfromtaptalk1436806541325.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

++ New Posts ++