WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Nido Tips and tricks ???

Guys, I just picked up my first can of Nido milk powder. Can you give me an idea of about how much you break it down for trail meals. Can I just "dump it in" with any dry ingredients and add water later making one bag cooking?

Some of the things I eat but I'm trying to get away from boxed dinners and make my own dehydrated ones.

Mac & Cheese
    Knorrs sides
    cold cereal (Should this be mixed up to milk first?)
    Oats
    Ramen

Any and all tips, tricks, & recipes for trail cooking with Nido welcome.

Rolex

I always just dump a couple of spoons of it in when I add my water to the bag when I'm FBC and stir it up and it's good to go.

Cold cereal: mix up 1/4 C (4 Tbsp) w/ 1 C (8 oz) water first. Add cereal afterward. Note: sometimes, the Nido doesn't want to mix like it should (don't know why it happens sometimes & not others). I use a Parkay tub & lid as my bowl. I put the lid on & shake the mixture. Usually takes care of it.
    Mac & Cheese: boil 1 3/4 - 2 C water; add Mac & set pot in cozy; after 15 min or so, add 1/4 C Nido & cheese powder; stir until mixed; add meat (if applicable) & other flavorings; eat.
    I generally don't add Nido to Knorr Pasta sides; personal preference.
    Oats: add 1/4 C to water; add oats & place in pot cozy.
    Usually don't add it to Ramen. May have to try & see how it tastes.
    2013 AT Thru-hike: 3/21 to 8/19
    Schedule: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...t1M/edit#gid=0

Journal Entries
    Images

I've done Nido and Cheerios for breakfast. I just can't pour water onto my Cheerios so I put them in a separate snack ziplock with the Nido in a quart ziplock. Add water to the Nido and shake it up, then add the Cheerios.
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    15 Girard/Quebec/LostTurkey/Saylor/Tuscarora/BlackForest
    16 Kennerdell/Cranberry-Otter/DollyS/WRim-NCT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

I have tried dried milk in the past and almost threw up it was so nasty.
    Really screwed up my meals for a trip (I should have at least tried it before relying on it). Thank goodness I was able to eat fresh fish for most of my meals that week.
    This was some 20 years ago and don't remember the brand but it has scared me to a point that I cannot fathom that any dried milk could taste good.

I purchased some Nido recently but I am afraid to even open it.
    Please confirm that Nido is different/better enough to consume.

Really screwed up my meals for a trip (I should have at least tried it before relying on it). Thank goodness I was able to eat fresh fish for most of my meals that week.
    This was some 20 years ago and don't remember the brand but it has scared me to a point that I cannot fathom that any dried milk could taste good.

Images

I love Nido, the taste is just like 2% or better milk by my taste buds. I think the reason is, that the butter fat is still in the powder unlike normal dried non-fat milk. Which I agree is, like ground up chalk and water.
    Everyone has a photographic memory. Not everyone has film.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by swisscross View Post

Many milk powders are lowfat and that rehydrated low or no fat milk tastenis what many object to. Nido is whole milk and results in a more acceptable flavor. Just go ahead and try it out.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Images

Also one other thought. If you are using Nido, make sure you adjust the water content of you recipe up to insure there is enough water to rehydrate the milk properly within your dish for the best results.

A quarter cup of Nido makes 1 cup of milk, but it does not necessarily equals 1 cup of milk without the addition of the water.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Nido is much, much better than the "old" powdered milks. For Annie's white cheddar mac and cheese I add two to three teaspoons with the cheese powder and just a little water after the macaroni has cooked. You can always add more water if the Nido and cheese powder hasn't dissolved after stirring. I'd definitely try both cooking with and drinking Nido before you out, though. Everybody's tastes are different, and you might like more or less Nido than I do. I generally put what I need for a specific recipe in the corner of a small, non-ziplock sandwich bag, twist the loose part tight, tie a knot in the twisted part and cut off the excess bag. The little bag of Nido goes in the ziplock bag with the repackaged macaroni and the powdered cheese (or other ingredients for whatever I'm making). That way I don't have to fiddle with a big bag of powdered milk that might leak and I don't have to measure each time I cook something.

Images

Yeah, Nido really is pretty darn good, way better than other powdered milks, and excellent nutrition and good calories/ounce. The two main uses I have for it on the trail are:

1) Cold cereal, pre-mixed with 1/4 cup of Nido, just ad a cup of water, stir and eat. seems simpler than mixing Nido separately w/ water, but really don't see any other difference.
    2) Puddings! Get those jello pudding boxes, "serves 4", split then in two, pre-mix with 1/4 cup of Nido, seal in a ziplock. On the trail, add 1 cup of cold water, mix thoroughly and enjoy! (Make sure you eat your meat first, though; how can you have your pudding if you don't eat your meat?) I like the oreo cookie, coconut and French vanilla flavors best.

I just dump it in with my FBC meals, but I'm usually not making the meals up very far ahead.

One thing to note: if you aren't going to use up the container fairly quickly (in a month, maybe?), you may want to store the opened container in the freezer. It will go bad much more quickly than nonfat dry milk.

The first time I noticed mine starting to go, I stirred it into coffee and it looked curdled. Still tasted okay at that point.

-FA

Images

if you add nido to already boiling water it will get clumpy and not mix well.best to mix it with a little cool or warm water first.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Yeah, Nido really is pretty darn good, way better than other powdered milks, and excellent nutrition and good calories/ounce. The two main uses I have for it on the trail are:

1) Cold cereal, pre-mixed with 1/4 cup of Nido, just ad a cup of water, stir and eat. seems simpler than mixing Nido separately w/ water, but really don't see any other difference.
    2) Puddings! Get those jello pudding boxes, "serves 4", split then in two, pre-mix with 1/4 cup of Nido, seal in a ziplock. On the trail, add 1 cup of cold water, mix thoroughly and enjoy! (Make sure you eat your meat first, though; how can you have your pudding if you don't eat your meat?) I like the oreo cookie, coconut and French vanilla flavors best.

+1 on the puddings
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    15 Girard/Quebec/LostTurkey/Saylor/Tuscarora/BlackForest
    16 Kennerdell/Cranberry-Otter/DollyS/WRim-NCT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

For cereal, I put both the powder and the cereal into a ziploc bag at home. In the morning on the trail, I just add the correct amount of water and shake. The cereal pieces do a great job of mixing up the milk powder.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Curious about where others have purchased Nido. Online I notice there are several varieties. Any preferred choice? Also, how is the shelf life after the can has been opened? Thanks! Obviously a "newbie" to Nido.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images

Most folks find it in the Mexican or International food isles. I looked there in my local grocery (Publix), and struck out. Went back to the powdered milk section, resigning myself to a third rate substitute, and there it was. Hmm....Nido in the milk section. Whoda thought? On line might be a good source, too. Since it's whole milk, the milk fat in it shortens the shelf life quite a bit. We store ours in the freezer, which helps extend it a lot. Had some for a year or so that I couldn't tell from new, but YMMV.

Thanks for helping with the due diligence! Like so many others, powdered milk isn't very high on my list though I do use it some meals when rehydrating with hot water. Never cold! Personal preference.

Images

I like fresh milk, but drinking powdered was horrible. I did use it for cooking, though. NIDO changed that; it doesn't taste exactly like fresh, but it's a lot closer than the powdered no-fat skim stuff. And curiously, closer than the "recombined" milk we got up in Alaska back in the 70's. (We were told it's more stable to ship the solids and liquids separately, then "recombine" them. Made for an odd flavor, and for some reason, it never spoiled. Hmm...) If you like cream in your coffee, NIDO is a darned good powdered substitute.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Old Crock View Post
    Curious about where others have purchased Nido. Online I notice there are several varieties. Any preferred choice? Also, how is the shelf life after the can has been opened? Thanks! Obviously a "newbie" to Nido.

Our Walmart carries the big cans, and have seen the smaller cans at our Krogers ("King Soopers" in these parts). Check out Walmart. A big can for us lasts about 9-12 months, never had any problem with shelf life/spoiling in that time span, but might not be applicable to you as we live in a much drier climate (Denver) than Michigan.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++