WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

So what is the consensus on using Nido in hot coffee? Premix with water or dump straight in? I haven't had any luck finding it locally, and online pricing seemed way outta whack. Though it's probably been 6 months to a year since I've looked into it.
    Great thread.

What is your favorite online source for Nido?

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckahoe View Post
    Also one other thought. If you are using Nido, make sure you adjust the water content of you recipe up to insure there is enough water to rehydrate the milk properly within your dish for the best results.

A quarter cup of Nido makes 1 cup of milk, but it does not necessarily equals 1 cup of milk without the addition of the water.

This is true, it took me a couple of meals to realize that the Nido was sucking up water like the dehydrated meal. Like he says, adjust the water accordingly.
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    15 Girard/Quebec/LostTurkey/Saylor/Tuscarora/BlackForest
    16 Kennerdell/Cranberry-Otter/DollyS/WRim-NCT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

I checked my local Walmart online (store availability) and it looks like they carry Nibo (about $16).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Old Crock View Post
    I checked my local Walmart online (store availability) and it looks like they carry Nibo (about $16).

Mine also came from Walmart in the Mexican food aisle. Per some online reading I noticed that there was two versions. One is for infants. I was able to tell the difference in that the one we want says whole milk as the first ingredient. $4.48 for a 12.6 ounce (360 grams) can.

Images

I've been using Nido for a few years now.To mix it to drink you need to put about half of the water you will be using in a container and add the milk powder to the water.If you try other ways sometimes you end up with clumpy unmixed milk.I bought a 16oz Nalgene just for this.I start with about 8 ounces of water plus the Nido,then screw the top and shake.Open up and add more water and close and shake.Add a Carnation Instant Breakfast then mix that and weight a few minutes.Tastes great too.I also use the Nalgene for mixing flavored drink mixes at lunch and for breaks in warmer weather.I never mix anything in my primary canteen.Just rinse your mixing container with a little water or it might get funky if left in a pack all day in hot weather.
    Sleep on the ground, rise with the sun and hike with the wind....

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jdx1177 View Post
    So what is the consensus on using Nido in hot coffee? Premix with water or dump straight in? I haven't had any luck finding it locally, and online pricing seemed way outta whack. Though it's probably been 6 months to a year since I've looked into it.
    Great thread.
    I add it straight, but try to sprinkle rather than dump. Occasionally get a clump or two, but since I make cowboy coffee, there's usually a few grounds, too. Just sip, and toss the last spoonful or so.

Images

Put cereal in bowl, add water and then sprinkle desired amount of Nido over the entire surface....enjoy :-)

Quote Originally Posted by jdx1177 View Post
    Great thread.
    I dump it straight in. Never had a problem getting it to mix. Only problem I ever saw was with a can that had gotten a little old - it still mixed; it just looked kind of curdled. I've noticed the same thing with my half and half at home when it starts to get old.

-FA

I am a milk lover, whole milk. I was told about the Nido and I was skeptical. I mixed some up and put it in a container then put it in the fridge to get cold. Once it got cold I tried it and now drink the Nido instead of whole milk from the store. A bonus is that I can always have it on hand in the pantry and it won't go bad.

Because of the fats it DOES have a shelf life

Other than that it is a great source of extra calories

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Since this got bumped up, I thought it's worth mentioning that I use powdered goat's milk instead of Nido. Goat's milk is available in the healthfood section or occasionally baby/kids section of most grocery stores. It is often found in smaller containers which works well for me since I don't use it often. It is also lactose free which makes it a good option for people who can't drink regular milk.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

I measure Nido Fortificada, old fashioned oats, brown sugar, and cinnamon into a ziploc bag for a single breakfast. In camp I dump the bag contents in my cook pot and add the right amount of water, stir constantly as I bring it to a boil, then take the pot off the stove and put it in my homemade cozy for about 10 minutes to substitute for the normal 5 minute cooking time for old fashioned oats. By the time I finish my mug of tea the oatmeal is ready. The result is so much tastier than instant oatmeal with boiled water added that these really shouldn't be in the same category, even though the cooking (water boiling) time is identical.

Old fashioned oats give the breakfast better texture and taste. Nido Fortificada adds creamy goodness. Nido combines best if you mix it with warm water, and you need to stir the oatmeal anyway as you heat it to boiling. It all comes together very well.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sheriff Cougar View Post
    I am a milk lover, whole milk. I was told about the Nido and I was skeptical. I mixed some up and put it in a container then put it in the fridge to get cold. Once it got cold I tried it and now drink the Nido instead of whole milk from the store. A bonus is that I can always have it on hand in the pantry and it won't go bad.
    Same here....love my milk and was pleased with the flavor of Nido. All powdered milk takes good if correctly measured, shaken well and refrigerated before serving.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    Put cereal in bowl, add water and then sprinkle desired amount of Nido over the entire surface....enjoy :-)
    i just cannot pour water on my Cherrios. I mix the Nido in a quart ziplock and then add the Cherrios from a pint ziplock. Pouring water on Cherrios just isn't right, I mean, the Lone Ranger never did ( revealing my age).
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    15 Girard/Quebec/LostTurkey/Saylor/Tuscarora/BlackForest
    16 Kennerdell/Cranberry-Otter/DollyS/WRim-NCT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

Images

Quote Originally Posted by RangerZ View Post
    i just cannot pour water on my Cherrios. I mix the Nido in a quart ziplock and then add the Cherrios from a pint ziplock. Pouring water on Cherrios just isn't right, I mean, the Lone Ranger never did ( revealing my age).
    Tonto taught the Lone Ranger to do the water over Wheaties and then add milkweed juice over the top of that. And that's where it all started

The Lone Ranger was quick to correct Tonto and informed him the Milkweed Juice was to be added to milk to curddle it so he could have his favorite cheese for breakfast along side his Wheaties. He later added the Wheaties to the cheese curd, added dried grapes and created his first energy bar.
    Last edited by zelph; 03-17-2017 at 22:29.

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    All powdered milk takes good if correctly measured, shaken well and refrigerated before serving.
    I'm not so sure I'd agree with "All powdered milk", but I do agree that Nido is the best tasting powdered milk I've ever tried.

Back in the Dark Ages, powdered milk from India was highly regarded versus Carnation Instant. I have yet to find it.
    The Nido quality stands to reason since it also comes from a country where refrigeration is not widely available.
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Images

The powder milk producing companies "HAD" to make it taste good or else Serving it well mixed, in the correct proportion and chilled is the best kept secret to powdered milk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++