WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default How much cash to start?

Driving up to millinocket next week to start sobo...is carrying $50 in cash sufficient or am I better off carrying $100?

Journal Entries

Ummm, is the $50 for snacks on the way to the trailhead?
    I think most people budget $1000 per month on the trail as a minimum. Many spend much more than that.

No I'm talking about literally how much cash in possession to start

Images

Pretty sure that it's cash only in Baxter, plus the more rural the store, the more likely you'll need cash. I'd bring enough for everything I am doing in the park, then enough for a hostel stay and food at White House Landing (you may decide to go there) and enough for some things in Monson, and plan to get a little more cash at the grocery store when checking out with a debit card.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

If you are using the AT lodge services you may want to inquire if they take credit cards. The Togue pond gate at the park is cash only. If you have your reservations you don't need to pay here but if being driven in the park by a car with other than Maine plates, the driver needs to pay a road fee. Once you are in the park, the only thing you can buy is firewood. There is a store at Abol bridge but unfortunately unless things have changed, Whitehouse landing is closed so the next place to spend money is in Monson.

Stir Fry

Is White House landing open again. Last I knew it was closed.
    If it do'nt eat you or kill you it makes you stronger
    'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

The general suggestion for travel applies: "Take twice the money and pack half the baggage that you think you need"

Garlic
    Images

$50 sounds pretty light to me. I carried over $200 usually, and when my stash got down under $100 I started looking to replenish it. There were several times I was glad I had more than $50, like in one town during a sustained power outage caused by a tornado, everything was done on a cash basis with deep discounts if you had it.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

@peakbagger fortunately I'm from Maine so I don't need to spend money at the AT lodge or at the gate

Images

Take $200 cash and have two different cards (from different banks/issuers) such as an ATM and a regular credit card if at all possible. Cards can get compromised, magnetic strips can get damaged, etc. and take up to several weeks to get replaced.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Images

Along the lines of credit cards/debit cards - Don't forget to contact your bank, or the credit card company to let them know you will be traveling. Enjoy your hike!

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    Take $200 cash and have two different cards (from different banks/issuers) such as an ATM and a regular credit card if at all possible. Cards can get compromised, magnetic strips can get damaged, etc. and take up to several weeks to get replaced.
    This is what I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat View Post
    Along the lines of credit cards/debit cards - Don't forget to contact your bank, or the credit card company to let them know you will be traveling. Enjoy your hike!
    Good advice...irregular spending will cause a card to be put on hold, good thing I had two cards at Catawba or I'd have gone hungry.

Yar- 200, two cards.
    Keep a 100 of it "broken" a few 20's, and down to singles.
    Get a few "good" singles and keep em in your diddy bag or map case- I can't tell you how many times* I've found some unexpected vending machine in an odd place or outside a closed gas station and tried to cram a dirty sweaty hiker dollar in it and walked away thirsty. I don't even want the pop but once it's been seen and then denied me I go on a rampage.

Keep the other 100 separate, ideally hidden. Provided you don't do so in front of a federal reserve agent you can fold money up and sew emergency bills in a few odd places separate from your wallet.

I'm with Garlic- when the first 100 is gone- find another 100.
    If you get in a bind someplace $100 cash goes a lot further than a promise to find an ATM in the morning.

*actually it's been seven times- but they all sucked.

You look really depraved when you are dirty, stinky, wearing a skirt and banging your pigtailed head against a machine growling "take it, take it, cmon baby take it" in a dark alcove at a deserted gas station in rural Georgia. It's the sorta thing that leads to cops showing up and stuff.

I had a secret pocket sewed in my pack and usually packed $1000 till it got below $200 or so.
    Had a problem once with wet travelers checks and never wanted that happening again.
    Just don't tell anyone you are carrying that much.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

I had a secret pocket sewed in my pack and usually packed $1000 till it got below $200 or so.
    Had a problem once with wet travelers checks and never wanted that happening again.
    Just don't tell anyone you are carrying that much.

Garlic
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    ...Just don't tell anyone you are carrying that much.
    Don't worry, your secret is safe with us.

50$ in cash is plenty. That should get you the 100 miles to Monson. On top of that, I suggest carrying a credit card. You could use your credit card (if memory serves) at Whitehouse landing and maybe also at Abol bridge camp store (not sure about this). I wouldn't leave on for a thru hike with out a minimum of 5000 $ in the bank exclusively available for the trip.

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    Don't worry, your secret is safe with us.
    LOL Garlic.
    It even fooled a customs inspection already.
    Had my wallet in there and they searched it and then were quite surprised when I reached in my pack to get my wallet later.

But, unfortunately, I don't have that pack anymore.

Imagine you show up somewhere and have to get lodging for the night, do laundry, eat a restaurant meal and get a 5 day resupply...and you find that you can't pay with a credit card or debit card. That's how much cash you need to carry with you at all times.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++