WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: To and From

Default To and From

Hello, I was planning to do the AT in the beginning and am now looking to do the AZT. What is the best way to get to the start and finish? Where should I fly into? I will be going south bound.

Garlic
    Images

The ATA website lists some shuttle services. Phoenix is the closest major airport and there are airport shuttle services daily to Flagstaff. From there it will be either difficult or expensive to get to the Stateline Trailhead. Similarly at the south end, difficult or expensive to get to Tucson, then fly from there or a bus to Phoenix.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

I'd suggest checking local resources for water info. They just rescued a hiker off the AZT who'd been without water for a few days, from what I saw it sounds like his expected water sources were dry.

I know there's a hiking outfitter in Sedona, they might have some info. Or check with local park authorities. Even law enforcement might have up to date water info.

Garlic's comment about checking the ATA website is spot on - you likely already have (http://www.aztrail.org/). I would suggest joining the ATA as well as this gives you access to much more info - like downloadable GPS tracks for the passages, some are tricky to navigate. The site also has a link to "fairly" current water reports - sorry but locals are not likely to have water info for the AZT unless they hike the trail - pay attention to the "reliability number" on the passage/water report pages. If it is a "0-1" and it has been dry for awhile, don't count on it. We have had rains recently so there is a lot of water out there right now but it won't last long. I would also suggest buying the AZT guide book if for no other reason than planning. We have one and use it regularly in conjunction with web info. Another source would be the hikeaz.com AZT forum - a link from the ATA website will take you directly there. It is not a busy forum but there are a lot of AZ knowledgeable folks who will answer questions and may even offer to help get you to and from the start/finish or at least point you to people who can. Pretty sure you are aware that AZT SOBO season starts like - Mid/Late Sep - Mid Nov, after the monsoons (so there is water) before the snow starts flying in the northern highlands, and after it cools down some in the desert - and the bottom of the Grand Canyon. (we were at Phantom Ranch last year the first week of Sept and it was 118F!) We are hoping to do a SOBO section hike from Utah to the North Rim in October - still planning but possibly could share a ride?

We know little about the sections south of the Matazals but are pretty familiar with the sections from there north if we can help.

Don and Susan
    Local - Serious Section Hikers

GAME 06

If you are not a VERY experienced desert hiker and you are thinking of starting this hike immediately you need to reconsider. The hikers who live out here pretty much consider from now to late August that almost no one should be attempting to thru hike the AZT. It is the hot time of the year and the driest time. People die out here every year on day hikes during the summer.

If you started a thru hike now you would need to plan for a couple of 40 mile water carries and temperatures as high as 115 in the shade (and there is no shade) so 120+ in the sun.

If you want to go into some depth on the AZT let me know. I and 4 other hikers I am aware of are planning on starting a SOBO of it in early September which is the normal start time.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyoming View Post
    If you are not a VERY experienced desert hiker and you are thinking of starting this hike immediately you need to reconsider. The hikers who live out here pretty much consider from now to late August that almost no one should be attempting to thru hike the AZT. It is the hot time of the year and the driest time. People die out here every year on day hikes during the summer.

If you started a thru hike now you would need to plan for a couple of 40 mile water carries and temperatures as high as 115 in the shade (and there is no shade) so 120+ in the sun.

If you want to go into some depth on the AZT let me know. I and 4 other hikers I am aware of are planning on starting a SOBO of it in early September which is the normal start time.
    I am planning on thru hiking in 2016 or 17. I teach from October 22 to April 15 and wonder if it is reasonable to start nobo in mid/late April or sobo the first week of September. I have lived in AZ and hiked segments of the trail so understand the extremes of heat and cold/snow that can be encountered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GAME 06

Quote Originally Posted by mahoosucnotch View Post
    I am planning on thru hiking in 2016 or 17. I teach from October 22 to April 15 and wonder if it is reasonable to start nobo in mid/late April or sobo the first week of September. I have lived in AZ and hiked segments of the trail so understand the extremes of heat and cold/snow that can be encountered.

Short answer is that on 'average' anytime after 1 Sept for a SOBO start or finishing before 1 June for a NOBO start would be fine. But, as you know from living here, heat waves come and go and that can effect what is a good plan. I don't know how fast you are (and much of the hiking on the AZT is pretty rugged walking) and that makes a difference too. Many take 2 months but many take no more than 5-6 weeks.

So starting right after you get done with teaching in Apr NOBO (if you are reasonably fast and the weather does not turn to 'scorch' would work. So would starting SOBO circa 1 Sept.

Here is the web site for the AZT Organization and it has lots of thru hiker info/help/maps/GPS points/data.

http://www.aztrail.org/passages/passages.php

Water report

http://www.fredgaudetphotography.com...tercurrent.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Wyoming View Post
    Short answer is that on 'average' anytime after 1 Sept for a SOBO start or finishing before 1 June for a NOBO start would be fine. But, as you know from living here, heat waves come and go and that can effect what is a good plan. I don't know how fast you are (and much of the hiking on the AZT is pretty rugged walking) and that makes a difference too. Many take 2 months but many take no more than 5-6 weeks.

So starting right after you get done with teaching in Apr NOBO (if you are reasonably fast and the weather does not turn to 'scorch' would work. So would starting SOBO circa 1 Sept.

Here is the web site for the AZT Organization and it has lots of thru hiker info/help/maps/GPS points/data.

http://www.aztrail.org/passages/passages.php

Water report

http://www.fredgaudetphotography.com...tercurrent.pdf
    Thanks for your quick reply. I wasn't sure sobos could start that early. Though I remember very cold and snowy early November in Flag. I don't want to rush but I think I can complete the trail in 6 weeks.

++ New Posts ++