WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Quilt Recommendations for SOBO hike

Im starting my thru-hike June 25th and have a Hennessy Expedition asym zip Hammock. I have a sleeping bag that goes to 20 degrees but think that it will be too hot for the summer months of the trail even though im hiking SOBO. Any Recommendations on a cheap but good quilt?

Cheap, but good, shop used here or at Hammock Forums.
    New, 40 to 50 degree down quilts are in the $200, + or -, range and weigh less than a pound. There are many cottage industry quilt makers with good reputations for quality products. GOOGLE knows who they are. Search for quilt makers here and similar forums.
    Or you could buy a full zip opening rectangular synthetic sleeping bag from Walmart for about $20 and up.

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

You didn't mention anything about using an underquilt, or a sleeping pad in the hammock so you have insulation underneath you. So I'm just making sure you know you need insulation underneath you when using a hammock (your sleeping bag underneath you doesn't count as insulation since when you're laying on top of it and compressing all the air out of the sleeping bag it won't insulate much at all).

Quote Originally Posted by Dochartaigh View Post
    You didn't mention anything about using an underquilt, or a sleeping pad in the hammock so you have insulation underneath you. So I'm just making sure you know you need insulation underneath you when using a hammock (your sleeping bag underneath you doesn't count as insulation since when you're laying on top of it and compressing all the air out of the sleeping bag it won't insulate much at all).
    I actually didnt know that and was just going to wrap what I had around me. Any recommendations on what I should get?

Journal Entries

Lots of UQ choices out there. I enjoy my JRB Nest in my HH: http://www.jacksrbetter.com/shop/the-nest/. You may find something less expensive used. I'd check. Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Goosefruit View Post
    I actually didnt know that and was just going to wrap what I had around me. Any recommendations on what I should get?

I hate to be negative, but if you're really going to start a thru hike in a mere three weeks I would strongly suggest you use your tent instead of a hammock – that would exponentially improve your chances of completing the hike. There’s just not enough time to test your hammock setup in all weather and temperature conditions you’ll experience on your hike.

I’m in my second year of hammock camping and have been doing outdoorsy stuff since I was 6 or so in the Indian Scouts. I like to think I’m a smart guy too but there’s still nights when I’ll be freezing in my hammock when it’s only 50 or 60º out (with the same setup that usually keeps me warm, and no explainable reason as to why I should be cold and not getting any sleep).

If you still want to use your Hennessy I would HIGHLY suggest you head over to HammockForums.net and do LOTS of reading on various insulation methods. For a shortcut of what you want to get, you’re looking for an under quilt (HammockGear.com ones run about $200-250, cheapest is Jarbidge 3/4 length under quilt - used with CCF pad for feet, at $100), or at the very least use your inflatable air mattress (with a decent R-value) with some foam wings for your side insulation.

Images

Bingo. You will be freezing w/o an under quilt(best option) or pads under your sleeping bag. I had a HH with JRB quilts when I did my thru hike. I also did a lot of winter camping with the same setup. But just a sleeping bag in the hammock is useless. And in my opinion pads are bulky and cumbersome and make it difficult to get in/out of a bottom entry style hammock.

SkinnyD
    skinny d

Images

As your hammock is a zip model, you could use a closed cell foam pad in the hammock for the warmer months of your hike. It won't be as comfortable as an underquilt, but it will also allow you to "go to ground" such as in a shelter if you want or need to (an option you may very well choose in a bad storm). You'll have to add some foam "wings" to it to insulate the shoulder area. Gorilla tape will work okay for attaching them.

But, unless you finish before the really cold weather in the southern Appalachians, you're likely going to need an underquilt and even more than a 20° F bag or quilt as well. Hammocks with tarps are COLD compared to tents or even shelters, due to exposure to the cold air and wind on all sides, the top, and especially the bottom. I am only just learning hanging, but I can already see that while inclement summer weather is handled fairly easily, a winter storm would require a lot more experience and knowledge in order to stay warm and dry. And you'll be spending quite a bit of time in that hammock staying warm as the available daylight gets less and less every day.
    Last edited by 4eyedbuzzard; 06-04-2015 at 10:05.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Is it worth it to get the supershelter insulation offered by Hennessy?

Journal Entries

I considered that, but could never quite figure out what it was. So for that price point...opted for the Nest. Was kind of frustrated with the Hennessy site regarding that. But no big deal (I may have overlooked the details). I felt more confident to go with the JRB Nest because I know I can use it with different hammocks in the future if needed. I'd still suggest an under-quilt & as soon as possible so you can do some shake-outs like other wise members have stated above.

Ya i couldn't figure it out either that's why I asked. Thanks so much for the advice guys.

I really would never suggest to get anything from Hennessy to be honest. I’m sorry to say that the other manufacturers have surpassed them in all aspects of hammock design from weight, to comfort, to design features, etc.

I can’t see Hennessy’s open cell foam on the supershelter (which will barely insulate if it’s compressed and the air is squeezed out of it) and a thin piece of silnylon undercover will insulate much at all. And I definitely wouldn’t use an emergency blanket like they suggest or you’re going to have condensation problems when it’s colder out.

BUT, if you want something similar to that that, people do quite commonly use CCF (closed cell foam) pads i.e. a Walmart blue foam camping pad or similar for their under insulation (with wings for your shoulders and sides taped on). Just keep in mind that lots of people report problems keeping the foam in place in the hammock while they sleep, and some have condensation problems as the temperature drops. For those reasons, and for comfort (which for most is why they choose a hammock to begin with), that is why many people recommend under quilts as the under insulation of choice (whose only detriment is that they can’t be used in shelters as a mattress to sleep on if you ever have to go to ground).

I can’t stress this enough but you REALLY have to do the legwork and research this if you’re still stuck on using a hammock for your thru-hike – AND, more importantly, test it out yourself which you have precious little time to do (and regardless, you won’t be able to test it in cold temperatures right now - which you will hit towards the end of your hike).

Lastly (again, I’m sorry to be negative - just being straight-up with you), I would highly suggest looking into a tarp with doors vs. the stock Hennessy bare-coverage tarp. You’re going to have a really hard time staying dry whenever there’s a side-wind driving rain right onto you (which even with careful site placement will still happen at some point).

Journal Entries

I would highly suggest looking into a tarp with doors vs. the stock Hennessy bare-coverage tarp. You’re going to have a really hard time staying dry whenever there’s a side-wind driving rain right onto you (which even with careful site placement will still happen at some point).
    This is a great point regarding the tarp. I dropped the stock HH tarp and went with the JRB 11 x 10. It is a little large...but, I like the coverage. If you do stick with the stock HH tarp model, I'd suggest converting it (with just some extra cord) to tie out to the trees rather than the ridge-line. It is much simpler IMO and much easier to keep the tarp taut. (It may not be "simpler" to tie out to the trees per say...but, it keeps the tarp taut...which is what you want. If the tarp is attached to the hammock ridge-line, it will droop a bit when you load the hammock).
    Last edited by ChrisJackson; 06-04-2015 at 15:41. Reason: added clarification about the "simpler" stmt

Images

Here was my gear list for my SOBO nine years ago now....FWIW.

1) HH backpacker asym
    2) Macat deluxe tarp(don't remember exact size but it was bigger than the stock tarp)
    3) JRB nest under and no sniveler under quilt
    4) WM 40* down mummy(weighed less than 16oz.)
    5) Z crest CCF 1/2 length(for when I slept in shelters, rare, used my backpack under the legs, worked for me)

I had some cool nights with a June 1st start. But I had my setup down packed. Thats the key with hammocking is knowing whats going to work for you. Can you start hiking without much know-how regarding your shelter? Ofcourse! You will inevitably figure it out. Get the best equipment you can afford and start hiking. "It's just walking"LW

Some tips I would add here: The lower to the ground you set up the tent, the warmer you will be. Same goes for the tarp. Practice setting up the tarp first and then the hammock. My hammock has never gotten wet,ever thanks to having a bigger tarp and snakeskins(don't know if they still make those or not). Ive been out of the "gear loop" for some years now. I hope any of this helps out.

SkinnyD
    skinny d

Images

Here was my gear list for my SOBO nine years ago now....FWIW.

1) HH backpacker asym
    2) Macat deluxe tarp(don't remember exact size but it was bigger than the stock tarp)
    3) JRB nest under and no sniveler under quilt
    4) WM 40* down mummy(weighed less than 16oz.)
    5) Z crest CCF 1/2 length(for when I slept in shelters, rare, used my backpack under the legs, worked for me)

I had some cool nights with a June 1st start. But I had my setup down packed. Thats the key with hammocking is knowing whats going to work for you. Can you start hiking without much know-how regarding your shelter? Ofcourse! You will inevitably figure it out. Get the best equipment you can afford and start hiking. "It's just walking"

Some tips I would add here: The lower to the ground you set up the tent, the warmer you will be. Same goes for the tarp. Practice setting up the tarp first and then the hammock. My hammock has never gotten wet,ever thanks to having a bigger tarp and snakeskin's(don't know if they still make those or not). Ive been out of the "gear loop" for some years now.
    skinny d

Good news guys, I got an under quilt today and plan on getting a bigger tarp then what the HH comes with, thank you everyone for the help and if you have any other knowledge that you would like to impart on me about the AT that would be welcomed with open arms.

Journal Entries

Hey, that's great!! Enjoy!

++ New Posts ++