WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Questions on BearCreek and other GPS data

I apologize in advance, I'm not very tech savvy. I'm wondering if the BearCreek GPS data is compatible with only GPS units or can you use the data on a smart phone? Every thing I've read about the BearCreek digital data seems like it's geared specifically for GPS devices. Like HalfMiles app that goes with his PCT maps does the BearCreek data work in the same way with the printed maps on a smartphone? I'm one of the few people out there who hasn't bought a smartphone yet and I'm just trying to figure out whether I should finally get a smartphone for the digital data or just get a GPS device for a CDT thru.

I hiked the PCT last year very early and only had the printed Halfmile maps. Obviously I made it thru but it was certainly a bit nerve wracking as I saw very little trail through the Sierra. I became a pretty good map reader but every other hiker I ran into had the Halfmile app and they got through with ease. I was really impressed by its functionality and accuracy. So far the only similar smartphone app for the CDT I've found is Guthhooks.

While on the topic maybe some past thrus can advise on my map/data plan for next year. As of now I'm planning on taking J Ley's printed maps, as well as BearCreeks and sections of the Delorme Gazetteer atlas's. And also Yogi's town guide, and Postholers databook and then either Guthhooks or BearCreeks digital data. Is the a decent approach? Should I go with less? More? A better or different combo of these or other good sources? Any input on your experiences will be appreciated. Thanks.

I can't answer about the gps stuff, since we hiked without needing a gps. We also hiked pre Yogi and Guthook, so can't help there either.

As to the maps, I would say take either J. Ley's or Bearcreek's maps, not both. You might want to get both and mark one set with the information on the other. Or take one set and carry some of the national forest maps so you have something that shows the trails that aren't on the route you intend to take but that you might need if you get detoured due to fire or injury. I know the hiker comments on the J. Ley maps were very helpful on our second thruhike and explained a couple of confusing sections or alternate routes that led to water sources that weren't on the route we had intended to take but ended up taking when the well we counted on was dry.

Thanks for the response, I appreciate the assurance that I don't need any of that stuff. Maybe I'll stick with the oldschool approach. I'm thinking maybe just chop the comments out on the Ley maps and go with the Bear Creek. Have you checked out the BearCreek maps? With the alternate route map set would there really be anything I'd be missing from Ley's if I just did that?

Having done two hundred miles in NM this spring. Mostly alternative route, Grants to Gila Hot Springs. Guthooks app on the phone (left in airplane mode), which uses bearcreek data, was sufficient, putting me within 10 feet of the trail. I should have added a GPS app to obtain location data, UTM or Lat-long. I had a GPS but only looked at it once.

Bearcreek Maps were used, but in NM easy to walk down wrong two track as they generally head in the same direction, that is where a Guthooks App really came in handy. Within 50 yards you can see if you took the wrong turn.

I transferred mainly water and scenic data to the bearcreek maps from the Ley maps.

I am still not sold on using SmartPhone for a camera. But definitely nice to have, to check weather. Trail updates.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

I use Motion-X GPS on my phone. I sent my Oregon GPS to Bearcreek to have it loaded with the CDT track and waypoints (in POI format). When I received the GPS back I copied the CDT track from my GPS to my phone and downloaded and installed the Montana waypoints on my GPS. Now I can use Motion-X instead of my GPS or Guthook's app.

The iPhone will only old 2500 waypoints which was enough for Montana only. When I get to Wyoming I'll load up the Wyoming waypoints.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    I use Motion-X GPS on my phone. I sent my Oregon GPS to Bearcreek to have it loaded with the CDT track and waypoints (in POI format). When I received the GPS back I copied the CDT track from my GPS to my phone and downloaded and installed the Montana waypoints on my GPS. Now I can use Motion-X instead of my GPS or Guthook's app.

The iPhone will only old 2500 waypoints which was enough for Montana only. When I get to Wyoming I'll load up the Wyoming waypoints.
    10k,

What topo map(s) have you installed in your gps? Is it the 100k scale? Is it possible to load all the States onto the gps for the entire cdt? Appreciate your time in responding.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by firesign View Post
    10k,

What topo map(s) have you installed in your gps? Is it the 100k scale? Is it possible to load all the States onto the gps for the entire cdt? Appreciate your time in responding.

I bought the Garmin 24k topo maps for MT/WY/ID on a microSD card. Here: https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/maps...prod27613.html

Garmin sells the card for $99 but I found it on Amazon for $66.. Here: http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-TOPO-U-.../dp/B0027531JI

To answer your question, if you use these microSD cards you'd need the one I bought above and then you'd need to swap out the card for NM and CO - so you'd need 2 microSD cards from Garmin.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    I bought the Garmin 24k topo maps for MT/WY/ID on a microSD card. Here: https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/maps...prod27613.html

Garmin sells the card for $99 but I found it on Amazon for $66.. Here: http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-TOPO-U-.../dp/B0027531JI

To answer your question, if you use these microSD cards you'd need the one I bought above and then you'd need to swap out the card for NM and CO - so you'd need 2 microSD cards from Garmin.
    Thank you 10k, appreciated.

++ New Posts ++