WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Tray Gap camping and AT Guide discrepancies?

Hi all, long time reader here but this is my first post as it's the first question that I haven't found an answer to from a quick search. (and I've had a LOT, so cheers to the forums for all your great info!)

I'm going to be taking some friends on a weekend section hike from the Tray Gap parking lot SOBO to Hogpen Gap. We'll be arriving at Tray Gap late on a friday evening after a 4hr drive after work so I'd like to camp close by. I see the Old Cheese Factory site on the AT Guide about 3/4 of a mile south, so that's an option, but am wondering if there is camping at the parking lot in case we arrive after dark?

And that brings me to my second question. I have both the 2013 and 2015 NOBO versions of AWOL's AT Guide. There are many instances, including this one at Tray Gap, where the 2013 version shows a tent camping spot but the 2015 doesn't. Why is this? Is it to discourage tent camping from overuse? Lack of info? It seems Guthooks smartphone app shows fewer sites much like the 2015 version as well.

Thanks for any info you can provide

I haven't been thru that area in over a year, but durring my last hike there were tent spots. If you hike a few hundered yards south, there seemed to be good tent sites with some views also. Tray Gap is a populat place for trail magic and I've seen the magicians tent's pitched there. Watch for locals. Since there is road access, it may be a party place.

Thanks for the reply, sounds like there will be plenty no matter what. I'd really like to try and make it to the Cheese factory site but there's no telling when we'll make it there with friday traffic, shuttle, etc. As long as we'll have something close by I'm not worried.

If anyone has ideas on the differences between years in the AT Guide I'm still curious.

There are several places for tents at Tray Gap and a great hammock spot at an overlook a little ways south of the gap. You should not have any issues finding a spot to set up camp.

This trip was a success! After being shuttled to Tray Gap from Hogpen via Bills Wheels (great service!) we got there around sunset and had just enough time to make it down to the Cheese Factory site before nightfall. Was nice to know we had backup camp spots though, so thanks for the info!

Another question, I'd like to continue our next section from Tray Gap to Deep Gap (NC) around the July 4th weekend. Bill had a 4WD car and had no problem getting us there via Tray Mnt Rd., but I'm not sure our 2WD will cut it. Anyone know the condition of Corbin Creek Road which comes off of 75? Is that still a better option for us then Tray Mtn Rd?

++ New Posts ++