WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Basic skills

Default Basic skills

I've been on Whiteblaze for a while and I am just freaked out by the fact that people ask for the dumbest advice like " what do I do if I get cold" or " how much should my pack weigh"'.
    I'm no Sgt Rock or some military operator ( by the way ,thank you guys for your service. You are ALL heroes.) but jeeze , I learned enough in cub scouts to go on a hike without encountering disaster. Does anybody else feel this way or am I being to harsh?

I understand where you're coming from, but I'd rather someone ask an obvious (to some not to others) question than risk serious harm.

Images

It's a discussion board---people discuss....

Ignorance and inability can be cured through experience. I took my wife, youngest son, and his wife to Acadia this past weekend. I was the only one having fun. I was the only one carrying a pack. I was the only one who knew where to put my feet. They were trying. It was painful to watch. My wife did okay. The young couple were hopelessly lost. We take our base knowledge and muscle memory for granted. We are not superior. We were all clueless too at one point. It is why I try to answer the mundane questions. There are many more qualified people that can answer. I am still learning. Those asking are trying.

Yes. You are being too harsh. They are not dumb. They lack knowledge. They are asking for knowledge. They should not be made to feel stupid in the process.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Is this the thread where I can ask how long cheese lasts on the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedaling Fool View Post
    Is this the thread where I can ask how long cheese lasts on the trail.
    Yes.........
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

The cheese will last for a while. Right up until the point that it spoils it will still be good.

Quote Originally Posted by Francis Sawyer View Post
    I've been on Whiteblaze for a while and I am just freaked out by the fact that people ask for the dumbest advice like " what do I do if I get cold" or " how much should my pack weigh"'.
    I'm no Sgt Rock or some military operator ( by the way ,thank you guys for your service. You are ALL heroes.) but jeeze , I learned enough in cub scouts to go on a hike without encountering disaster. Does anybody else feel this way or am I being to harsh?
    I think people asking those questions lack practice, I know for me even the simplest of tasks seemed tough on my first hike (and 2nd, 3rd...). Then you start to figure out how you need to get things done. Getting yourself organized to cook a meal is a simple thing but if you've never done it before on the trail it takes some thought. Asking questions like do I have all the utensils I need etc.

So it shows lack of practice but also that they are trying to figure it out which is good. The more they figure out behind the keyboard the more enjoyable their trip will be.

-Stephen

Since I have only again taken up backpacking in the last 2 years (40 years after doing so for Uncle Sam), I am far from an expert. While I learned what I could from this forum and others, I always listened to any experienced hiker to see if I could learn more. I found that especially important when talking about gear, since new products come out that can rapidly change, such as footwear, lighter tentage, better designed packs, etc. I find myself, rookie that I am, even informing young persons on the trail about the dangers of bluejeans and cotton clothing, but not all accept the suggestions. Hopefully, they are among the minority.

I live near about 100,000 acres of national forest where it is legal to camp pretty much anywhere, yet people will pay to set up their tent in a campground and buy firewood for $5 a bundle when they could quite legally set up their tent just yards away and gather firewood for free. I'll never understand it. I guess they need the security of being around other people and staying in an 'official' campsite. And some people don't know how to take a dump without a public restroom. I would never be interested in camping the way that these people do anymore than they would be interested in doing it the way I do...I just don't understand the mentality and aura of helplessness that goes along with it.

I have to admit that sometimes I too shake my head and wonder, but often as I read the posts I either learn something new (imagine that!), have my opinion confirmed (always nice!) or not, or begin to realize, once again, that people with basic questions are only beginning to learn and they ask because they are truly interested and want to do it "right". Hopefully, they are as excited as I was when I first started. And as excited as I get every time I start planning another trip. Plus, I'd really rather, for their sakes, that they know more before they go out and not end up having to burn their clothes and/or be rescued.

Images

They have been assimilated into the collective. We are Borg. Resistance is futile.

On a serious note, there are many people who just aren't the type to figure things out on their own or even attempt to. Typically they lack the initiative to learn independently, though sometimes they want to be taught. But ultimately, there is a big difference.

I have a loser relative who is always saying things like, "It's lucky you know how to do that," and, "I would do anything to be able do that." Well, it isn't lucky that I know how to do something (any particular thing) - it took time and effort to learn how. And you wouldn't do anything to be able to do whatever it is - because you would never invest the time or put forth the effort.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

I think for someone new it can be somewhat overwhelming. they are often in overload, and when they get here it may go something like this...

"Guy's, I've read all this stuff, and bought all these things...tarps, tents, filters, ditty bags, sleeping bags, bag balm and first aid kit, ect ect, and I'm at 40 pounds"

And somewhere between the brain and keyboard they shorten it to, "So how much should a pack weigh" not really a big deal, help em out when you can.

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    They have been assimilated into the collective. We are Borg. Resistance is futile.

On a serious note, there are many people who just aren't the type to figure things out on their own or even attempt to. Typically they lack the initiative to learn independently, though sometimes they want to be taught. But ultimately, there is a big difference.

I have a loser relative who is always saying things like, "It's lucky you know how to do that," and, "I would do anything to be able do that." Well, it isn't lucky that I know how to do something (any particular thing) - it took time and effort to learn how. And you wouldn't do anything to be able to do whatever it is - because you would never invest the time or put forth the effort.
    So much truth there. Your "loser relative" praises your superior skill set as a tool to justify his laziness. My 1st car was a 1970 Ford Torino that paid $50 for. It had a broken timing chain, a cracked water pump, and a punctured radiator. I had never worked on a motor before. I bought a Chilton's book that covered the repairs. I did not get any help. I fixed it. I don't have "mad skills". There are observers and there are doers. The observers can if they would just try. Those asking "stupid" questions should be met with open arms instead of being ridiculed. They are learning and trying and soon will be doing.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by BirdBrain View Post
    ...There are observers and there are doers. The observers can if they would just try. Those asking "stupid" questions should be met with open arms instead of being ridiculed. They are learning and trying and soon will be doing.
    Yep. It is amazing how much knowledge is "out there", and how many helpful people are also "out there" willing to answer questions and help someone that is interested and putting forth the effort to learn. We all ask what could be called "stupid questions" to experienced folks when in the novice/beginning stages of learning about something new or trying to learn a new skill. Given the ease of access to information and knowledge that has come about with the WWW, it has never been easier to educate oneself.

EDIT: And now I feel bad about calling my relative a "loser", but, but, but, it's just infuriating the number of times every week we hear the same, "Where did you learn to do that?" It's like we went to college or something to learn how to change a light bulb . . .
    Last edited by 4eyedbuzzard; 05-28-2015 at 12:27.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Images

Yes, you are being too harsh.

Congratulations for having the opportunity to learn in scouts. Many kids develop a love of natures and an understanding of outdoor skills thanks to youth organizations and loving dedicated parents. Unfortunately we exist in a culture where kids are becoming increasingly removed from the natural world. Many of their parents lack basic outdoor skills and it can be sometimes hard to find an urban scout troop that actually goes camping.

I teach in an urban Community College. Many of my students have zero experience in the outdoors. Sometimes I will share a photo or a story from one of my hikes. Some are dismayed that anyone would camp alone in the woods willingly, a few are intrigued. I have had students say I have inspired them to try camping (I am talking car camping here, in a developed campground) and come back all excited after this life changing experience. I am happy to lend a hand, however small, to set them on this path.

I hope that the more experienced Whiteblaze posters remain diligent against developing an elitist attitude. Yes, sometimes the questions can seem like something everyone should know. But unfortunately, not everyone does. And if we can educate and lead them on a path to enjoy the natural world safely, you will have improved their lives, and I think made this world a better place.

Journal Entries

I think of it this way: I owe a debt to the scoutmasters, hikers, folks on the old Backpacker.com message boards and others who helped me when I was learning about this stuff. I can never repay them, so pay it forward to the ones looking for information now. I don't begrudge it, it is a privilege.
    "Something hidden, go and find it. Go and look behind the ranges. Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you. Go."

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    EDIT: And now I feel bad about calling my relative a "loser", but, but, but, it's just infuriating the number of times every week we hear the same, "Where did you learn to do that?" It's like we went to college or something to learn how to change a light bulb . . .
    I grasp your intent. He could succeed more (win) if he tried and did. Because he won't, he does not realize his potential (loses). It is not ability. It is reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan's Dad View Post
    ...the old Backpacker.com message boards...
    may she rest in peace...

I've gone in and out of several hobbies (addictions?) over the years and the process is always the same. When I start gathering interest I obcess over things and learn as much as I can. Things that are alien start to take shape as something I recognize and I begin to get preferences on those things. Then the actual doing happens and you fall in love but there are aspects that bother you, mostly gear or preperation type stuff.

I remember going into outfitter type stores looking for disc golf stuff (most have a tiny rack) and looking at hiking packs, tents, and other gear thinking it looked really cool, but was terribly confusing as to what was needed.

Now I am at the point where I wonder how am I supposed to fit 5 days of food in my pack when a day's worth is taking up too much space.

I'm grateful to live in a time when going online and asking these dumb questions is easy.

I don't mind going out and learning, but there are some things you should know.

So, in essence, thanks for not chasing us new folks away.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++