WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Am I nuts for not taking sunblock and bug spray on sept jmt thru?

I live at the beach and hate wearing much sunblock especially if out paddling, sweating etc..thinking about wearing one of those goofy OR sun runner hats with long sleeve shirt...sun gloves ? My legs don't tend to get burnt but will also have full length compression tights under shorts if it's cold. Thoughts???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I trying the hat/gloves/long sleeves/pants method on my hike in July, but will have sunblock on hand, just in case.

Simply because too much sun over time will give you skin cancer, I highly suggest using sunscreen when outside for extended periods of time.

Bugspray is up to you. Clothing doused with Permethrin can also do wonders and no bug spray needed in most/many circumstances.

Images

I like my goofy OR Sunrunner hat. Plenty of sun coverage. It also keeps the gnats from swarming into my ears.

I've not hiked the JMT, but when I have hiked out West at elevation I have been very happy to have long sleeves and pants, a big wide brimmed hat, and lightweight sunblocking gloves. Very lightweight nylon stuff, of course, with plenty of ventilation. I also put sunblock on my face.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Quote Originally Posted by Dochartaigh View Post
    Simply because too much sun over time will give you skin cancer, I highly suggest using sunscreen when outside for extended periods of time.

Bugspray is up to you. Clothing doused with Permethrin can also do wonders and no bug spray needed in most/many circumstances.
    Now days they say many of the sunscreens contain cancer causing ingredients....who knows...I prob will take a very small amount for my face just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Now days they say many of the sunscreens contain cancer causing ingredients....who knows...
    http://www.skincancer.org/skin-cance...unscreens-safe

The absolute worst sun burn I got was when I started on the Helon Taylor trail, walked across knife edge (above treeline and middle of summer) and summited Katahdin, before descending. I had super-large blisters and my legs were purple -- skin cancer is probably in my future. The protective layer of the atmosphere diminishes a certain percentage for every 1,000 ft of elevation, major issue when above tree line. http://www.who.int/uv/uv_and_health/en/

I knew this was coming...there are safe natural sunscreens my wife buys....thx for the link..interesting wonder if was put together by the sunscreen companies..another concern with sunscreen as I don't want to negatively effect the pristine mountain lakes and streams when bathing or swimming.

I seldom use sunblock even when sailing. Bugs don't bother me much either. I carry a tiny amount of protection for both. They are in tiny repurposed food coloring bottles. I never use either on the trail. I am probably nuts for carrying it. Only you know your need. If you don't need it, don't carry it. A tiny amount might be prudent.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Journal Entries

Didnt use a bit of either.
    Long sleeves/pants, loose fitting , and mesh ventillated.
    Sun gloves too ( glacier), that cover most of thumb which is exposed on top.
    Broad brimmed hat, wraparound dark sunglasses that keep light out of corners of eyes.

If you plan to wear shorts and short sleeves, plan on sunscreen i think. I have worn my baselayer top before and been fine , but it was much hotter than the loose ventillated shirt.

Big plus to long sleeve clothing is you stay clean underneath, no filthy dirt layer on your skin.

Personally i cant stand a hat cape around my neck, blocks airflo.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 05-27-2015 at 20:56.

I grew up at the beach and never worried about the sun, now I do. My mother had skin cancer but not the deadly kind. I lost a very close friend last year to skin cancer. The last time it started as what looked like a bruise under his toenail. He first got it years ago and had somewhat fought it off through surgery and chemo a number of times. I try hard to wear long pants and long sleeve shirts with a hat all the time now. Some materials are cooler than others but better to be a bit uncomfortable now then go through what my friend and his family just went through. Your call.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Didnt use a bit of either.
    Long sleeves/pants, loose fitting , and mesh ventillated.
    Sun gloves too ( glacier), that cover most of thumb which is exposed on top.
    Broad brimmed hat, wraparound dark sunglasses that keep light out of corners of eyes.

If you plan to wear shorts and short sleeves, plan on sunscreen i think. I have worn my baselayer top before and been fine , but it was much hotter than the loose ventillated shirt.

Big plus to long sleeve clothing is you stay clean underneath, no filthy dirt layer on your skin.

Personally i cant stand a hat cape around my neck, blocks airflo.
    Planned on long sleeve...good old rei Sahara..really like versatility of long sleeve and button up...hot...undo buttons and roll up sleeves...cold button up and roll down sleeves. I find I'm good hiking in just this shirt to about 40-50 degrees..used to hike in convertibles but wife bought me a pair of Prana Zion shorts that seem to stretch, Very comfortable and durable. I wear them daily...up to 4 pair now. Rei points bought most...I'll prob bring compression tights full length or might just wear my cap1 sleep pants if extra cold ie whitney...cap1 bottoms and compression pants could be slept in together instead of a heavier wt bottom ie cap3..lil more versatility? With a 15 deg down bag and light base layer should be warm enough from what Yall have said...

My father died from skin cancer. It was not a happy ending. I am like you, in that I hate wearing that goop and grease on my skin. I have the bad genes, so I get checked yearly. I have to be doubly careful, because I was a beach lifeguard, and then I became a scuba instructor and active diver, all before knowing better about what to do. The years of exposure really add up. I still live at the beach, but I wear sun protective clothing on the dive boat or when I go out. I guess I am doing something right, because I now have to take vitamin D3, which you can ordinarily get from sufficient sun exposure.

For hiking, I know that it can look silly, but I got one of those Sunday Afternoons Sun Guide Caps. I don't like the hats that have the wide brim in the back, because they keep getting hit by my pack, so I had to resort to this style. It may not look so great, but it is pretty functional.

Hat 2.jpg

All of my clothing is at least SPF 30. I bought some Outdoor Research Sun Sleeves, which can cover the back of the wrists, and I wear this in place of a long sleeve shirt. I like this option, when I consider how much sun exposure my wrists get when using hiking poles all day long.

Sun Sleeves.jpg

I am carrying sun screen that isn't greasy, and I'll use that when I absolutely must, even if I won't love that so much. I am also carrying lip balm with sun block.

I am trying to be realistic with what I know that I will likely do, and what I will likely not do.

I'll be treating my clothing for bugs, but I won't be applying bug repellent directly to my skin. (I've tried using natural oils, such as eucalyptus, and they worked, but only for a short time.) Instead, I'll put on long sleeves and zip on the long legs to my pants. If it gets really bad, I can always pull out the gaiters. I got a Peter's Head Net that will fit over the cap.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Garlic
    Images

I didn't use either on my PCT thru. My headnet was worth its weight in gold on the JMT portion. I kept my skin covered up.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

I carry a 6 inch scar on my left forearm where the melanoma was. I have 4 other lesser scars on my left arm above the elbow, right shoulder & chest where the basal cell carcinomas were. Obviously, I didn't protect myself very well when I was young.

HYOH. Sunscreen now. Slice & dice later. Your call.

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

PS:
    To answer your original question, YES!

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

Sun gloves needed?

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    I didn't use either on my PCT thru. My headnet was worth its weight in gold on the JMT portion. I kept my skin covered up.
    I'm going mid sept so hopefully bugs r gone!!

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Just had a quarter size hole cut out of my face to remove skin cancer. YMMV...

I have never had a problem with bugs at altitude in the Rockies from mid-July to early October.
    Alas, the sun is always a problem at altitude. Especially above treeline.
    I don't get it. My extremely professional, competent dermatologists don't have a problem with telling me to use sunscreen. Why is it that hikers seem to think that sunscreen is worse than the eventual consequences?
    Not sure what "sun gloves" are. White painters gloves from Lowes/Home Depot/Walmart should work. Since they are made of cotton, they could be uncomfortable when wet.
    Clothes treated with wash in UPF treatment will make off the shelf clothing more UV resistant. Navy blue clothes retard UV better than other colors.
    http://upfclothing.org/make-uv-prote...hirts-at-home/

Wayne

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++