WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

I haven't hiked in decades and I am just about to start again. You can bet I will be investing in a good pair of trekking poles. In my younger years I hiked in the back country of Yosemite and parts of the Sierra's where there is snow in June. I sure wish I had poles then. Why would you care what other people think?

Quote Originally Posted by JumpMaster Blaster View Post
    I always use poles. Found out I had been using them "incorrectly" the majority of the time. I started using the "nordic" technique on relatively even, level ground, and it has made me hike faster and easier. Someone said "if you don't get some kind of upper body workout while hiking you're doing it wrong". Did a day hike yesterday with a 7 pound pack, and I can feel it in my shoulders & arms, but I was scootin.

If you feel comfortable using poles whene you hike, do it. If you feel comfortable carrying a little yellow rubber duckie, do it.

Jumpmaster: can you explain the "nordic" technique?

Consider the "crutch tip" kind of things, much better on rock surfaces.
    And what about bringing the snow basket things for snow or muddy areas?

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    Consider the "crutch tip" kind of things, much better on rock surfaces.
    And what about bringing the snow basket things for snow or muddy areas?
    I have done a considerable amount of hiking in muddy areas. I find the baskets to be useless in real mud. The poles still sink out of sight and baskets make wonderful suction cups when you go to lift the poles out of the muck. Baskets also make it difficult to use the poles with precision to accomplish how I prefer to use them in muck. I use them much like a blind man would a cane. I tap, tap, tap looking for obstacles. If I find a solid one, that is where I step. Furthermore, there is no need to take your own baskets. You will find plenty littering up the trail. Use the lost ones you find and throw them away at the next town.

Just my blunt opinion.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Try www.pacerpole.com. Embrace the technology!!! Read about the biomechanics of efficient walking.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by BirdBrain View Post
    I have done a considerable amount of hiking in muddy areas. I find the baskets to be useless in real mud. The poles still sink out of sight and baskets make wonderful suction cups when you go to lift the poles out of the muck.
    Just my blunt opinion.
    Agreed! My z-poles have very tiny baskets on the bottom, and they work fine. They still sink in the mud, but one side is cut for when you stow the poles, so the suction cup effect isn't bad. They'll sink right down in thick mud, though. My last set of REI poles had larger baskets, and they were always getting caught on the brush trailside. I took them off and threw them out.
    Please don't read my blog at theosus1.Wordpress.com
    "I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. Thank God for Search and Rescue" - Robert Frost (first edit).

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
++ New Posts ++