Thread: Bag question

Images

Question Bag question

Has/does anyone use the Osprey Ariel? Do you feel it would be to heavy for a section hike on the PCT? Would it be an ideal bag for a thru-hike on the AT? Or do you recommend any other bags. I wear an XS.

Images

Osprey makes an excellent line of packs! I am a big fan... I personally have a Volt for the shoulder seasons (when I might need more clothes for colder weather) and for when I am hiking with others. I also have an Exos 48 for when it is just me, during the warmer months.

The Aerial is not too heavy, but it all depends on how the pack fits you, how much you weight you will be carrying, and whether or not your stuff fits inside. If you already have your tent/tarp/hammock, sleeping bag/quilt, sleep pad, and know what you will be taking.... I would gather that stuff up and find out just how it rides in the Ariel. Packs absolutely fit everyone different!

If you are not set on your other gear, I would look into getting that stuff first. It doesn't matter how awesome the pack feels on your back, if the stuff you want to carry doesn't fit.

Best of luck in finding the right pack for you!

Images

My lovely wife used an Ariel 55 for about eight years, finally wore it out. Osprey makes great packs, and they were really the first to fit women well. It's not too heavy, though it's heavier than many more recent designs. Depends on what else you are carrying.

She replaced it with a ULA Circuit and just loves that pack.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

I use the Osprey Ariel 65, in a small, which makes it a 62. It carries a 35 pound load very well. I don't have any hip or shoulder problems or discomfort from it. I can't speak for the PCT, but on the AT, it's a winner.

Have you thought about the Aura with AG suspension? My wife just got one of those and she loves it, the suspension dug into her hips a bit but she found the sweet spot and adjusted it for the second half of our hike. They are very adjustable, about the same size and a little lighter than the Ariel.

I'd really suggest going and trying on a bunch though, you don't know which is for you until it is on your back.

Images

Thanks for the advice fine folks

++ New Posts ++