WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Default Phone service MT/WY?

Is there much difference between coverage between Verizon and AT&T on the CDT in MT/WY?

I'm looking at getting a new phone and am open to changing carriers - I use Verizon here in the south.

Everything that I have read online, Trail Journals mostly, points to Verizon as having the best coverage. Pretty much everywhere in the USA. The CDT road crossing at Hwy 200 east of Lincoln, MT seems to be a dead spot right where you want to call the Three Bears Motel for a ride into town.
    On the other hand, the CDT is a place to get away from everything. Right? I reckon a Personal Locator Beacon is the only thing that would work in the really remote parts of Montana & Wyoming in the case of a real emergency.
    We switched from AT&T to Verizon a couple years ago. Way better coverage. Especially in the mountains along the TN-NC border. Won't be going back.

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Verizon does tout having the best coverage in rural areas. ATT has their best coverage in populated areas and along travel ways between them. We use a Verizon account for cell coverage in Maine that is problematic for the other carriers with the signal issues in and around mountains. Though I won't use their system in populated areas, it does seem they are very strong in rural markets.

State or National Park rangers may be better able to answer the question if you are looking for specific areas.

Images

There's not much coverage in NW MT, but Verizon is better at the edges. In Apgar, for instance, you can use Verizon but not AT&T.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

++ New Posts ++