WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Default Bear spray in Montana/Wyoming

I'm down to my last few pieces of gear and am now looking at bear spray.

What do you think? I'm leaning towards getting some since I'll be solo for all but 300 miles.

What's a good brand and how big of a bottle?

I'm assuming it has some kind of holster? Doesn't seem like it'd do much good stashed next to a water bottle.

(Damm you hellKat… don't say anything, just keep your mouth shut! I'm fighting the urge but I can't control myself) It's hard to fight the urge to say anything, so I will try to keep it positive. (Smile) You don't need any dang 'ole bear spray, also I hear it's popular to smear p'nut butter all over your body and clothes as a poor mans' bear deterrent. Only cost about two dollars if you buy the store brand.
    * Warning: I bite AND I do not play well with others! -hellkat-

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by magic_game03 View Post
    (Damm you hellKat… don't say anything, just keep your mouth shut! I'm fighting the urge but I can't control myself) It's hard to fight the urge to say anything, so I will try to keep it positive. (Smile) You don't need any dang 'ole bear spray, also I hear it's popular to smear p'nut butter all over your body and clothes as a poor mans' bear deterrent. Only cost about two dollars if you buy the store brand.
    You do realize this is the CDT forum and the question is about solo hiking in Grizzly country, correct?

10-K I don't have much useful info to add, I just want to once again express my jealousy and to hope that you have an awesome trip.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

I think Glacier and Yellowstone may require it for backcountry. Not 100% on this but I would recommend.

Counter assault is what we carried in glacier. Almost had to use in a moose. And we saw bears every day hiking late July last year.

You can get a holster. I carried on my sternum strap. It really wasn't that bad to carry. .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Garlic
    Images

How are you traveling and do you know how you're going to transport the pepper spray? You can buy it in GNP for a $10 or so premium if that makes things easier.

I can't remember the brand or size I carried. A holster was extra, so I made one that sorta worked. You're right, it makes no sense to have it in the pack--it has to be near your dominant hand. And you have to protect the safety catch. I pulled it out a several times but never sprayed--the grizzlies all ran away like they're supposed to. Some will buy two cans and practice with one to get an idea of power, duration and range (as well as the turbulence from the nozzle and what happens if you get a taste of the contents).

When I got to Togwotee Pass I gave mine to a grateful guide at Brooks Lake Lodge. (And I expected him to scoff at the wuss carrying pepper spray.)
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

I'm driving out so shipping isn't a problem. I'm bear-spray illiterate - is the bear spray sold in the Appalachians Grizzly-worthy?

Guess I need to spend a few minutes with Google.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    I'm driving out so shipping isn't a problem. I'm bear-spray illiterate - is the bear spray sold in the Appalachians Grizzly-worthy?

Guess I need to spend a few minutes with Google.
    http://www.rei.com/product/722005/co...t-spray-102-oz This is what the rangers I saw carried.

Quote Originally Posted by Nodust View Post
    http://www.rei.com/product/722005/co...t-spray-102-oz This is what the rangers I saw carried.
    And what we carried. It was the same price at the store at two medicine. They want you to carry it from what I saw.

I'd carry some. UDAP is another brand. I expect one big risk is getting lost in your camera viewfinder and neglecting to walk quietly away.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Images

I carried my Counter Assault in the holster attached to my hip belt for the Wind River Wilderness and for all of Montana. Never saw a Griz, but I was glad to have it.
    Handlebar
    GA-ME 06; PCT 08; CDT 10,11,12; ALT 11; MSPA 12; CT 13; Sheltowee 14; AZT 14, 15; LT 15;FT 16;NCT-NY&PA 16; GET 17-18

Thanks for the REI link - I just ordered a can and added a holster as well.

Garlic
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    I'm driving out so shipping isn't a problem.
    Keep the spray can cool in the car, out of direct sun, and in a plastic bag. Ask me (achoo!!) how I know.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    You do realize this is the CDT forum and the question is about solo hiking in Grizzly country, correct?
    Wow, the CDT? I didn't know Glacier was on the CDT. Are you sure elf? (I hope you recognize the sarcasm)

To answer some of the other questions. No, GNP does not require you to carry bear spray. You cannot buy bear spray for $10 in GNP, however you can rent it (for $10) if you really want to go all the way back to GNP just to return it. Absolutely, you should buy the bear spray with a holster. If you can't quick-draw your bear spray like an old western cowboy then it is absolutely useless. Counter Assault is the most popular brand and is practically sold everywhere around glacier. Average cost is $45-$60. Be careful, C.A. is sold in many different formats; small can, medium can, large can, w/ holster, w/o holster, and paired with second test can (pressurized but not w/active ingredient in it.)

Garlic
    Images

...You cannot buy bear spray for $10 in GNP....
    If you're referring to my post #5, I'll clarify that I said you could buy it in the Park for a $10 premium. Sorry if that confused anyone. They charge a little more there, as is the case for nearly everything else.

At least that was the case back in 2007 when I found my can had leaked in the car on the way up there and I had to buy a new one. I used the leaky can for some expensive practice. And I still sneeze occasionally when I use that that pack. That's strong stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    If you're referring to my post #5, I'll clarify that I said you could buy it in the Park for a $10 premium. Sorry if that confused anyone. They charge a little more there, as is the case for nearly everything else.

At least that was the case back in 2007 when I found my can had leaked in the car on the way up there and I had to buy a new one. I used the leaky can for some expensive practice. And I still sneeze occasionally when I use that that pack. That's strong stuff.
    I noted the 'premium' reference and knew what you meant.

Cool

Forgive me. It's early. At work. Not really awake yet.
    I enjoy threads like this. Bear spray. Hanging food. Grizzly & mean moose talk. By the way, moose kill more humans in Alaska than bears.
    "Watch your top knot." J. Johnson.
    I suppose carrying bear spray is a good thing. Lighter than a 1911 .45 caliber hand gun. No license required. Condoned by the N.P.S. Piece of mind on your hip belt.
    These topics keep Griswolds off of the CDT. That is a good thing.
    Seeing bears is a good thing. Make noise. Talk to them. Sing to them. Badly. Off key. They will go somewhere else. The one you don't see might cause a problem.
    Have fun. Be safe. Keep the bear spray handy. You might need to use it on some unruly Griswolds.

Wayne
    A CDT overnight section hiker before there was a CDT.
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

I was really surprised to see they rent bear spray in Yellowstone, for $10. I was in Canyon Village yesterday and there was a big kiosk. In the Smokys they rent bicycles, in Yellowstone and Glacier they rent bear spray. Hmmm. I saw four grizzlies and six black bears (2 moms, 4 cubs) yesterday, so they're out there. Be safe.

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    You are absolutely correct garlic08.

Sorry, my primitive 5th grade education hinders my ability to fully grasp fancy talk. That being said, in my defense I never said, "hey garlic08, you're wrong!" The only thing I said is that you cannot buy bear spray for $10, and as far as I know, you can't. So by actually quoting me you have pulled me into the fray. So I bow to your superior intellect and ask for your forgiveness, of my misunderstanding.

I've never had to pull the trigger on it but I like the setup of the Frontiersman spray.

7.9oz, sprays 3 ft, has a glow in the dark safety cover over the nozzle and comes with holster.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Nodust View Post
    You can get a holster. I carried on my sternum strap. It really wasn't that bad to carry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    I suppose carrying bear spray is a good thing. Lighter than a 1911 .45 caliber hand gun. No license required. Condoned by the N.P.S. Piece of mind on your hip belt.
    Absolutely, you should buy the bear spray with a holster. If you can't quick-draw your bear spray like an old western cowboy then it is absolutely useless.
    About a year ago, there was a post here in White Blaze with a link to a Grizzly Bear instructional video. It was something like an hour long and showed in detail why you need bear spray in Grizzly country and shows the importance of keeping the spray handy to be used in an instance. I seem to recall he suggested (nearly required) a chest harness, and showed how you have to wait until the bear is close enough before you use it (because spraying at a bear 50' away isn't going to accomplish anything).

Anyone know how to find that video... perhaps recall the name of the instructor?

What a minute, I think I found it:
    Dr. Tom Smith
    Last edited by HooKooDooKu; 05-22-2015 at 11:26. Reason: Found Video

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++